Chief Illiniwek.....HE GONE!!!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 05:14 PM)
That is definitely a great tradition. Especially when they have special guests dot the "i." There are great traditions everywhere. I remember talking to people from other colleges at U of I games saying how cool the Chief was. And there was never booing coming from the opponents section, at least not that I ever heard, during halftime.

I guess my problem isn't really with the Native Americans or anyone who opposed it, it's with the NCAA...Greg Couch said it best today:

Just be consistent.

I agree that they should be consistent. But consistency is alot worse than just banning the Chief. How many schools were forced to change their nicknames all together? U of I could easily be the university of Illinois Orange Krush or something like that, I would be grateful that they at least let them keep that name. Out of the 40 schools they originally went after, I believe only 3 or 4 actually still keep their original mascot name, let alone the halftime show.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 11:28 AM)
For the rest of you guys that go here, watch it again, I've been here for less than a year, but I got chills every halftime. Because that means, when the Chief is out there, the people you sing the Alma Mater with are basically like your family. You are one with them, You are the Illini Nation.

I got a bit choked up yesterday, being on the floor for the last Chief performance, and you know what, I get choked up watching it. I grew up watching Illinois sports, and I came here excited to know that we had one of the most storied half times of all time, and now it's being taken away from us.

Oh well, all I can say to the people who claim to be offended by Chief, get off your soap box.

To those that are here and understand, don't let anyone forget that we at the University of Illinois, were robbed of one of the coolest things in collegiate athletics.

HILARIOUS!!! Needed a laugh at work.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 05:14 PM)
Just be consistent.

Absolutely. That's all I ask.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 05:23 PM)
Actually a majority of the people that b**** and protest are a bunch of white kids from the Chicago suburbs. So, yeah, I'm right.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that this statement is accurate. When the best the News networks can do for a source on the matter is a University of Illinois professor with a last name ending in -stein, I think it becomes very easy for those of us criticizing the authenticity of the majority of those aligned with the Anti-Chief camp to be considered validated.

I also wonder if said majority would champion an Anti-Seminole cause if the University hasn't reached an "agreement" with the tribe in years past.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 05:38 PM)
Absolutely no doubt in my mind that this statement is accurate. When the best the News networks can do for a source on the matter is a University of Illinois professor with a last name ending in -stein, I think it becomes very easy for those of us criticizing the authenticity of the majority of those aligned with the Anti-Chief camp to be considered validated.

I also wonder if said majority would champion an Anti-Seminole cause if the University hasn't reached an "agreement" with the tribe in years past.

Duh, less than 1 percent of all students at U of I are native american, its simple numbers game. Of course the only people's opinions that matter in this issue are the Peoria Tribe, which makes the numbers of people on both sides pretty moot.

FWIW, i see alot of people trying to attack FSU as their only fram of reference. There are plenty of other schools that have kept their name the same way that FSU has and the opposite of what U of I did.

The following teams face the NCAA ban: Alcorn State University, Bradley University, Chowan College (Braves); Central Michigan University (Chippewas); University of Utah (Utes); Carthage College (Redmen); University of Illinois-Champaign (Illini); Mississippi College (Choctaws); University of North Dakota (Fighting Sioux) Southeastern Oklahoma State University (Savages); Catawba College, Midwestern State University, Indiana University-Pennsylvania, Arkansas State University, University of Louisiana-Monroe; McMurry University, Newberry College (Indians);

How about we attack that list I posted one by one

Alcorn State-new logo new name been braves since 1871

Bradley University-Still searching for new mascot as of Feb 2 2007 had bobcat

Chowan College-now Hawks

Central Michigan-due to relationship with tribe keeps mascot

Utah-keeps mascot due to relationship with tribe

Carthage-2005, Oct. 10 – Carthage College changes from Redmen to Red Men. NCAA removes them from list.

Miss College-keep choctaws based on tribal support

North Dakota-still in legal battle

etc etc etc, im bored of doing this. There is NO consistency, but it could be much worse. Here is a nice list of what some schools had to become

969, Oct. 12 – Dartmouth College, originally founded to educate American Indians, changes from

the Indians to Big Green.

1971 – Marquette University (WI) abolishes Willie Wampum mascot.

1971 – Mankato State College (Minn) drops Indian caricature mascot.

1972, March 2 – Stanford University changes from Indians to Cardinal and drops Prince Lightfoot

mascot.

1972 – Dickinson State University (ND) changes from Savages to Blue Hawks.

1973 – University of Oklahoma drops Little Red mascot.

1973 -- Eastern Washington University changes from Savages to the Eagles.

1978 – Syracuse University (NY) drops Saltine Warrior mascot.

1980 – Southern Oregon State University drops Red Raiders motif.

1987-88 – St. John’s University (NY) drops caricature logo and mascot.

1988 – Siena College (NY) changes from Indians to Saints.

1988 – Saint Mary’s College (Minn) changes from Red Men to Cardinals.

1989 – Montclair State College (NJ) drops nickname and mascot.

1989, Oct. 13 – Bradley University (IL) drops mascot and replaces Indian caricature logo.

1991, Feb. – Eastern Michigan University changes from Hurons to Eagles on recommendation

of a state civil rights commission.

1992 – Naperville Central High School (IL) drops nickname Redskins.

1992 -- Simpson College (IA) changes from Redmen to Storm.

1993 – Arkansas State University drops Runnin’ Joe mascot.

1993 - Arvada High School (CO) changes from Redskins to Reds.

1993, April 9 – University of Wisconsin passes a resolution refusing to play non-conference

games against teams with Indian nicknames.

1993, Nov. 2 – Bradley University (IL) adopts Bobcats mascot and drops all Indian references

in its logo, but keeps nickname Braves.

1994, April – University of Iowa bans the University of Illinois mascot, Chief Illiniwek and

announces it won’t schedule games with teams with Indian mascots.

1994, May 2 – Juanita College (PA) changes from Indians to Eagles. According to committee

chair Charles C. Brown, Jr., “the utilization of a cultural stereotype as a mascot is inconsistent

with the educational mission of the college.”

1994, May 3 – Marquette University (WI) changes from Warriors to Golden Eagles.

1994, June 6 – St. John’s University (NY) changes from Redmen to Red Storm.

1994, Dec. 8 – University of Southern Colorado drops Indian mascot after 57 years.

1994 (?) – Montclair State College (NJ) changes from Indians to Red Hawks,

1996, March 31 – Newton High School (Conn) announces they will drop their Indian mascot.

1996, July 3 – University of Tennessee-Chattanooga drops mascot, Chief Moccanooga.

1996, Sept. 26 – Miami of Ohio University votes 7-1 to drop nickname Redskins after being used for 68 years.

1997 -- Marist High School (IL) changed from Redskins to Redhawks.

1998, March 20 – Yakima Valley Community College (WA) drops Indian nickname.

1998, April 7 – Federal judge in Los Angeles upholds district policy banning Indian mascots at all of its schools.

1998, April 22 – Southern Nazarene University (OK) changes from Redskins to Crimson Storm.

According to the school’s president “with the increased attention in the country to do it, we just did not

want to be the last to make a change, and I feel eventually most schools with that kind of mascot or

nickname will do.”

1999. March 5 – Indiana University of Pennsylvania announces it will retain nickname Indians, but change

mascot to a black bear.

1999, March 5 – Erwin High School, Asheville, NC discontinues calling girl’s teams Squaws, but retains

Warriors nickname.

1999 – Since 1991, 25 Wisconsin schools have eliminated Indian mascots or nicknames; 43 remain.

1999, June – Seattle University (WA) changes from Chieftains to Redhawks and drops its Indian head logo.

2000, Sept. 22 – Scarborough (Maine) High School drops nickname Redskins.

2000, Oct. 17 – Niles West High School (IL) drops nickname Indians.

2001, May 10 – Southwestern College (CA) changes mascot from Apache to Jaguar.

2001. May 21 – Woonsocket High School (SD) votes to drop Redmen nickname and mascot by 3-2

board vote.

2001. May 25 - San Diego State University (CA) drops Montey Montezuma mascot.

2001. May 27 – Parsippany High School (NJ) changes from Redskins to Redhawks.

2001, June 10 – Saranac Lake High School (NY) changes from Redskins to Red Storm by 6-1 school board vote.

2001, June 13 – Canastota High School (NY) drops Indian mascot by 6-0 board vote.

2001, June 20 – Ball-Chatham school board (IL) votes 5-2 to get rid of Indian mascots and nicknames in district

schools. Chatham Glenwood High School changes to Titans from Redskins, and Glenwood Junior High no longer

Braves.

2001, July 11 --West Seattle High School (WA) drops nickname Indians.

2001, July 19 – Georgetown High School (SC) drops Waccamaw Warriors symbol.

2001, July 25 – Maryland State School Board passes resolution opposing Indian mascots by 10-2 vote.

2001, August – Bloomington High School (IL) drops Red Raiders nickname.

2001, August 15 – Colgate University drops word “Red” from “Red Raiders” nickname.

2001, August 29 -- Montgomery School Board (Maryland), largest school system in the state, bans Indian

mascots, logos, and nicknames by 7-1 vote. Included is Poolesville High School, which was the Indians. Montgomery Village

Middle School had voluntarily stopped using the nickname Warriors.

2002, Feb. 25 – Milford High School (MI) drops Redskins.

2004, July 6 – Ottawa Hills High School (MI) drops Indian mascot.

2004, July 12 – Rice Memorial High School (VT) retires “Little Indian” mascot.

2004, Nov. 8 – Southeast Missouri State changes from Indians to Redhawks.

2005, Sept. 23 – Old Town High School (Maine) drops Indian nickname.

2005, Oct. 10 – Carthage College changes from Redmen to Red Men. NCAA removes them from list.

2005, Oct. 10 – Midwestern State University drops Indians. NCAA removes them from list.

2006, Jan. 8 – West Georgia University changes from Braves to Wolves.

2006, Jan. 20 – Southeastern Oklahoma State University changes from Savages to Savage Storm.

2006, Jan. 26 – Chowan College (NC) drops Braves nickname and mascot.

2006. Jan. 30 – Muscatine Community College (Iowa) drops Indians nickname and mascot.

2006, March 23 – Kelseyville High School (CA) drops “Indians” nickname, and Mountain Vista

Middle School (CA) drops “Braves” nickname.

2006, April 8 – University of Louisiana-Monroe changes from Indians to Warhawks after being one

of 18 schools on the NCAA list. References to the campus as “the Reservation” also stopped.

2006, Oct. 10 – College of William and Mary (VA) announces it will remove two feathers from its logo

to compile with NCAA rule.

2006, Oct. 20 – Tomah (WI) School Board drops Indian mascot and logo by 4-1 board vote.

2006, Nov. 12 – Newberry College (SC) drops Indian nickname. NCAA removes them from

banned list.

2006, Dec. 14 – Ypsilanti High School (MI) drops nickname Braves on a 4-3 board vote.

2007, Jan. 19 – Salesian High School (CA) changes from Chieftains to Pride.

2007, Feb. 17 -- the University of Illinois Board of Trustees announces it will remove Chief Illiniwek from

performing at athletic events after Feb. 21, 2007.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 05:42 PM)
Duh, less than 1 percent of all students at U of I are native american, its simple numbers game. Of course the only people's opinions that matter in this issue are the Peoria Tribe, which makes the numbers of people on both sides pretty moot.

FWIW, i see alot of people trying to attack FSU as their only fram of reference. There are plenty of other schools that have kept their name the same way that FSU has and the opposite of what U of I did.

The following teams face the NCAA ban: Alcorn State University, Bradley University, Chowan College (Braves); Central Michigan University (Chippewas); University of Utah (Utes); Carthage College (Redmen); University of Illinois-Champaign (Illini); Mississippi College (Choctaws); University of North Dakota (Fighting Sioux) Southeastern Oklahoma State University (Savages); Catawba College, Midwestern State University, Indiana University-Pennsylvania, Arkansas State University, University of Louisiana-Monroe; McMurry University, Newberry College (Indians);

Bradley is off the list...but still under the NCAA watch. CMU, Utah and FSU I think are the only three that are allowed to keep the name and UND is suing to keep theirs.

Since I don't know...are there still groups fighting to dump ALL of those names? For instance, are the outside people that were fighting against Chief Illiniwek now going after Utah, FSU and CMU? Cuz if not, they are hypocrites. My point is, I don't care if they have an agreement or not. This is the way the world works now, and it sucks, but if even ONE Native American is offended by ANY of the above examples, they ALL should be done away with.

Man, it really pains me to say that, but that's the direction things seem to be going. So, either get out of the way and allow the University to choose their own symbol, mascot, traditions, etc. OR deem them all equally offensive and do away with them all.

And if the NCAA is going to do the latter and get in any University's business, than they should be held to the same standards when dealing with things like recruiting infractions, etc.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 05:42 PM)
Duh, less than 1 percent of all students at U of I are native american, its simple numbers game.

Let's hear from the

If an overwhelming majority of the

At the end of the day, I really could care less what your response to this prompt may be. Rather, I suppose that was a voicing of one of my largest concerns to the general public.

Chief has danced his last dance, I have already exceeding my self-allotted period of intense mourning, and I am looking forward to the conclusion of a very depressing Illini basketball campaign. The Illini Athletic Department has much bigger fish to fry--such as getting to the bottom of the Smith incident and administering just punishment. It's "chief" concern should be not falling by the ethical wayside that so many other state institutions have been reduced to (i.e. Cincinnati, UNLV, etc.).

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 06:02 PM)
BOOOOO!!!! :ph34r:

Hoy-oh :lol:

All kidding aside, I have enjoyed and appreciated your thoughts on this matter, Corn. I think both you and doc have represented the alumni population very well. I've said my piece on this matter and I look forward to enjoying a most-promising football campaign with you. :cheers

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 06:04 PM)

All kidding aside, I have enjoyed and appreciated your thoughts on this matter, Corn. I think both you and doc have represented the alumni population very well. I've said my piece on this matter and I look forward to enjoying a most-promising football campaign with you. :cheers

It was a great ride while it lasted. I will always have the memories of the Chief dancing (literally) in my head. I'm saddened for future generations, but will move forward with whatever symbol they choose.

Let's hope the Zooker can get this program turned around.

I gotta get back to a game one of these years. Oskee-wow-wow!

:cheers

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 06:23 PM)
The Native American students at the U of I have been offended by the Chief for a very long while. Isn't that enough for the white guys who think the Chief is "cool" to say maybe this "tradition" needs to go away?

I was there when it started and there was a Native American woman championing the cause, I think her name was Tilton, but she was helped by a white male. The same one who went after Niles West in the late 80s. Just FYI.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 03:23 PM)
Yeah, FU people who think this is racist against your heritage!!! You are taking away something that isnt nearly as old or sacred as your ancestors!!!

Coolest thing in collegiate athletics? Meh, is it even the coolest thing in the big ten?

Dotting the "I" in Ohio is predjudiced against and demeaning to capital letters everywhere.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 08:50 PM)
I'll add my vote as well. Imagine that, 3 people who went to Illinois and don't care about the Chief...I had no idea there were so many of us.

Add me to that list.

Go U of I Drinkin' Lincolns!!

s3.gif

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 07:50 PM)
I'll add my vote as well. Imagine that, 3 people who went to Illinois and don't care about the Chief...I had no idea there were so many of us.

I know a lot of U of I grads from a few different age groups, and I'd say its really split up pretty evenly between people who are happy he's gone to people who couldn't care less one way or the other to people who are angry about the ouster to people who believe its some sort of Communist plot to topple the university.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 06:24 PM)
Read the first fifteen posts or so -- I was under the impression that the school got rid of this because they wanted to host something or other? Read that in the paper this morning. What's the story there?

Didn't read the article, but I imagine they were talking about an NIT game.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 11:07 AM)
Didn't read the article, but I imagine they were talking about an NIT game.

NO, this is about all sports especially ones such as volleyball, tennis, and soccer which are more likely to host post-season games especially after performing well in the regular season

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 12:04 AM)

thanks for the kind words. no doubt i'm ready for football.