which current sox players will eventually be HOFers?

Hideaway Lights

Thome is in. I don't see how he's not, unless he gets caught up in some sort of controversy, particularly with roids (which I highly doubt would happen).

Buerhle and to a lesser extent Konerko have shots, but not great ones, as others have pointed out. They both need to do at or better recent career averages until they are 40 or so.

I would say there are some younger guys that are theoretically possible, even if they are very long shots. Crede comes to mind, if we truly are seeing the real Joe now. I might even throw AJ's name in there, if he can be a .300 guy or close to it, stay healthy and play 8 to 10 more years. Adding some power would help him. Jenks also is in that outside shot category.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 10:26 AM)
There is no way Jim Thome can be a choice based on the criteria. He'll never be on an active roster with another team longer than he was with the Indians.

Oh no doubt he will not enter the hall a White Sox, but he is a current member of the White Sox that will likely make the hall.

Maybe if he wins a few rings with the Sox that changes though :)

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 10:45 AM)
here's an interesting stat though

Pedro Martinez seems to be one of those "sure HOFers" that is tauted as being a lock whenever he name comes up...he only has 197 wins!

only 36 active pitchers (as of 2005) have more than 103 career wins! And some of those guys are ancient (clemens, johnson, maddux, glavine), and some are relievers now (fassero, gordon...is fassero even still in the league)?

what will be the new benchmark for wins for a hall of famer? I don't think anyone will ever even get 250 again. I think we need to look at 200 with the way the game has changed

I think Buehrle can get to 200.

He is also as dominant a pitcher as I've ever seen in my lifetime. There is no doubt Pedro is a first ballot hall of famer. He was the very best at his position for a period of 5-6 years and has been very good for an additional few years.

He was also hampered by being on awful Expos teams early in his career. Plus I think now 250 wins is pretty much a guarantee (since I think that 300 win plateu will be awful tough to get to for pitchers breaking in now). And you are probably right it could even go down to 225 or 200 (that said Buehrle is one of those guys that if he can get back on track has as good a chance as anyone at 200, 250 and a really really outside shot at even 300).

In order to make the hall of fame you atleast have to be one of the best in the game at your respective position for an extended period of time along with a stretch of dominance. Mark Buehrle has yet to do either and I highly doubt he ever does achieve either. The guy just doesn't look like a possible hall of famer to me.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 02:00 PM)
They both played 1B much of their career as well. They're shoe-ins.

This is very true when it comes to Thome, I don't know why but people seem to think he's been a DH his whole career when that couldn't be further from the truth. In his career Jim has actually played over 225 more games at 3B than he has at DH (492 at 3B and only 265 at DH) and on top of that he's played 1100 games at 1B. So in other words he's spent about 14% of his career at DH

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 12:45 PM)
here's an interesting stat though

Pedro Martinez seems to be one of those "sure HOFers" that is tauted as being a lock whenever he name comes up...he only has 197 wins!

only 36 active pitchers (as of 2005) have more than 103 career wins! And some of those guys are ancient (clemens, johnson, maddux, glavine), and some are relievers now (fassero, gordon...is fassero even still in the league)?

what will be the new benchmark for wins for a hall of famer? I don't think anyone will ever even get 250 again. I think we need to look at 200 with the way the game has changed

I think Buehrle can get to 200.

Pedro Martinez is also one of the most dominant starting pitchers of all time and possibly the most dominant during his prime. He put together a 2 year stretch that is unparallelled in today's game ('99-'00) with 2000 being quite possibly the single most dominant season by a pitcher in baseball history. 1.74 ERA, 0.73 WHIP, 284 SO to only 32 BB in 217 IP and most impressive of all he posted a 285 ERA+ which the highest (best) ever recorded by a pitcher in the history of the game.

You're putting WAY too much stock in a single stat especially one as unrepresentative of a player's ability as wins. Mark Buehlre even in the same paragraph as Pedro Martinez is utterly blasphemes.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 06:12 PM)
You're right about Thome, I wasn't sure when I said that, but what % of games has Frank Thomas played at 1B ?

About 47%

Being one of the greatest pure hitters in the history of the game, a 500+ HR hitter and steroid free over an ~18 year career will make Frank a first ballot hall of famer.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 12:30 PM)
the reason why I set up the thread this way is because I'm interested if beyond Thomas, there are going to be any White Sox HOFers we can otherwise expect over the next 20 years, and it seems like there probably isn't.

I sure hope within the next twenty years a hall of fame player is developed through our organization.

Considering the time which have passed since the White Sox drafted Thomas, I'd like to believe we're approaching a period (which I realize isn't quantifiable ) where just by plain luck a potential superstar emerges. An individual who is within the top five of their position for an extended period of time.

Atleast I hope that's the case.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 03:54 PM)
Oh no doubt he will not enter the hall a White Sox, but he is a current member of the White Sox that will likely make the hall.

Based on the criteria Hideaway Lights stated

"which current White Sox (that have spent most of their career with the team) do you think will eventually be hall of famers?"

Thome does not qualify.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 05:38 PM)
In order to make the hall of fame you atleast have to be one of the best in the game at your respective position for an extended period of time along with a stretch of dominance. Mark Buehrle has yet to do either and I highly doubt he ever does achieve either. The guy just doesn't look like a possible hall of famer to me.

Two words here to put things in perspective ... Don Sutton.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 05:55 PM)
Pedro Martinez is also one of the most dominant starting pitchers of all time and possibly the most dominant during his prime. He put together a 2 year stretch that is unparallelled in today's game ('99-'00) with 2000 being quite possibly the single most dominant season by a pitcher in baseball history. 1.74 ERA, 0.73 WHIP, 284 SO to only 32 BB in 217 IP and most impressive of all he posted a 285 ERA+ which the highest (best) ever recorded by a pitcher in the history of the game.

You're putting WAY too much stock in a single stat especially one as unrepresentative of a player's ability as wins. Mark Buehlre even in the same paragraph as Pedro Martinez is utterly blasphemes.

My point was that a pitcher who was considered one of the most dominant in the game has only 197 wins, so obviously the criteria for wins has changed. I wasn't necessarily trying to compare the two directly.

Buehrle has a pretty damn good ERA for pitching in the AL too though.

No players on the current roster that have spent the majority of their careers are even close to HOF status. Say we keep one of our young pitchers like Garland or Buehrle or one of the new guys and they continue to improve and have long careers. Or if somehow Jenks can keep it up for 10 more years. Other then that, none of the position players are even close IMO. Konerkos only had like 3 good seasons.

There's never been an absolute win standard. Koufax only had 165. Being absurdly good for a short while has always been reason enough to enter the HOF. But Buehrle is not that dominant pitcher, so his only chance would be to perform very well (2005 level performance) for a long, long time -- on a winning team, to boot.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 12:38 PM)
My point was that a pitcher who was considered one of the most dominant in the game has only 197 wins, so obviously the criteria for wins has changed. I wasn't necessarily trying to compare the two directly.

Buehrle has a pretty damn good ERA for pitching in the AL too though.

Wins shouldn't and isn't the only criteria for getting into the hall of fame otherwise Blylevin would have been a first balloter or would atleast have been in there by now seeing as how he has 287 career wins and all.

Even if a certain amount of wins automatically got you into the hall of fame a guy like Pedro Martinez would be the exception to any rule, he'd be a first ballot hall of famer even if he finished with 150 wins. You can't always go on one stat and it's historical relevance when judging someone's chances at the hall of fame.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 12:43 PM)
Konerkos only had like 3 good seasons.

Try 7.

Thome may make it, depends on injuries, etc.

I dont think anyone from the 2005 team will come close. I kinda like that though. They'll be remembered by us, thats about it.

Pretty sure i'll still be able to rattle off the players on the 2005 team when i'm 80.

QUOTE(bad at best @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 07:29 PM)
Thome may make it, depends on injuries, etc.

I dont think anyone from the 2005 team will come close. I kinda like that though. They'll be remembered by us, thats about it.

Pretty sure i'll still be able to rattle off the players on the 2005 team when i'm 80.

Thome's a lock.