Buehrle turned down multi-year offer from the Sox

CSF

From Chicagosports.com:

Buehrle turned down Sox's offer

Reveals he refused White Sox's offer at 2006 All-Star Break

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

February 16, 2007, 10:11 PM CST

TUCSON, Ariz. -- With his White Sox future at stake, Mark Buehrle showed Friday he is ready to make amends for a rough 2006 season.

A fit-looking Buehrle tackled some tough issues on the eve of the club's first workout for pitchers and catchers at the Kino Sports Complex.

Buehrle revealed he turned down a multiyear offer around the 2006 All-Star break, just as his season was beginning to unravel.

The Sox eventually picked up his $9.5 million option for 2007, but Buehrle understands that his contract status will be an issue because he can be a free agent at the end of this season.

"If something happens during the season, then obviously we'll talk about it," said Buehrle, who has won 97 games in seven seasons with the Sox. "I'll talk about it during spring training. If you have a couple of good starts and somebody brings it up, or you have a couple of bad starts and somebody else brings it up, 'Jeez we should have taken the contract' or whatever. At some point you have to draw the line and not bring it up all the time."

Buehrle, 27, was 9-6 with a 4.02 ERA around the time he rejected the Sox's offer, believed to be in the three-year, $33 million range. Since then, the market for left-handed pitchers has exploded, from Ted Lilly's four-year, $40 million contract with the Cubs to Barry Zito's seven-year, $126 million deal with the Giants.

When asked if he had any regrets, Buehrle replied, "None. Not at all."

The second half of Buehrle's season was terrible as he had a 3-7 record and 6.44 ERA.

Buehrle said he hired a personal trainer this off-season and played catch and long toss more frequently around his hometown of St. Charles, Mo.

"I'm excited," Buehrle said before working out on an elliptical machine. "This is the most I've done in an off-season to get prepared. The way I feel and the way I've been throwing bullpen sessions, I'm pretty excited to get going."

Buehrle hopes he can experience what teammate Paul Konerko went through in 2005, when a good season led to the Sox holding off the Angels and Orioles with a five-year, $60 million contract for the veteran first baseman.

"I'm comfortable here in Chicago, and then you see what you can go get somewhere else," Buehrle said. "There's a lot to look at. But I want to finish my career here."

And Buehrle had no qualms about manager Ozzie Guillen's decision last month at SoxFest to start Jose Contreras on April 2 against the Indians, which would halt Buehrle's streak of five consecutive Opening Day starts, and to have Jon Garland pitch the second game.

"The way [they] pitched last year, I think you have an argument for both those guys," Buehrle said. "I'm just happy to be here, happy to be in a White Sox uniform and if they want me to start day one, day five. I'll be ready."

Guillen, meanwhile, is leery of the attention given to potential free agents around baseball, from the Sox's Buehrle and right fielder Jermaine Dye to Cubs ace pitcher Carlos Zambrano.

This has prompted him to stress the need for his players to concentrate on their performance and not let their contract status affect them.

"You play this game for your family, and obviously you play this game because you want to win," Guillen said. "I just don't want the ballclub to get caught up in one guy talking about his contract. I don't think that's fair.

"I will try to protect [buehrle] from that. But during the season, the first time that comes up, I will be the guy that says, 'Listen, I don't want this around my team.'"

[email protected]

Copyright © 2007, The Chicago Tribune

And to think that the Cubs gave Lilly a $40 million contract for 4 yrs. What could Buehrle fetch on the open market. Well at least he's in shape and ready to go. Just hope it's not the last year he's in a Sox uniform.

QUOTE(shipps @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 02:31 AM)
They didnt trade for all these young arms for no reason.KW obviously anticipates losing some starting pitching and MB is gonna be one of them.

"gonna"? We'll see

It'd be a helluva PR hit to lose the face of the franchise for the last 5 years.

JR hasn't made any exceptions to his policy of no more than 3 year deals to starters, but he really hasn't had a case like Buehrle's yet either. It's simply wait and see at this point.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 01:59 AM)
let it play out. I don't think the Sox and Buehrle are done negotiating yet.

Eh, I'm sure they're not done negotiating and it's not this article that has made me think that he's done here. I just can't see him coming back, I'm hope I'm wrong.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 01:59 AM)
let it play out. I don't think the Sox and Buehrle are done negotiating yet.

I think they are, there has way too much publicity surrounding these talks. Way toomuch negativity has come out from both sides, my buehrle jersey is gonna be good for another year and that's pretty much it.

With all the teams handing out $10 million+ contract this season, how many of them are left or have moeny left to do so next season? Yeah the Yankmees and the Mets have cash coming out their wazoo, but somewhere down the line, the teams are gonna run out of money.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 10:19 AM)
With all the teams handing out $10 million+ contract this season, how many of them are left or have moeny left to do so next season? Yeah the Yankmees and the Mets have cash coming out their wazoo, but somewhere down the line, the teams are gonna run out of money.

Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals, Rangers, Mets, Giants, Mariners, Padres, Dodgers, Angels, Phillies, Astros, Blue Jays, Orioles and Tigers are all teams that should have the necessary funds available this offseason to make a run at Mark Buehlre. I'm sure not all of them will but they all certainly could, either due to bloated payrolls, large expiring contracts or just a willingness to spend money.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 10:24 AM)
If 3/33 is correct, then the Sox were lowballing Buehrle in years and money.

I read there was an option for a fourth year as well. At that time, I agree, it still was a bargain if you were getting the Buerhle we had come to know, but a price that if the guy wants to stay as much as he claims, he certainly should have considered. With the likes of Gil Meche getting that kind of money now and more years, he obviously played his cards correctly because unless he has surgery he'll get what the Sox offered him if he pitches 2007 like he pitched the second half of 2006.

Hopefully, his being in better shape will return him to form, and the White Sox can be spectacular this year. One thing I wonder is if Buerhle does sign with the Cardinals next offseason, considering his comments, would even his most ardent supporters consider him a phony?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 10:24 AM)
If 3/33 is correct, then the Sox were lowballing Buehrle in years and money.

At last years ASB...? No.

If I had to guess on the deal it was likely 9, 11 and 13 - not including incentives or the option year. Very fair at the time.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 10:45 AM)
Kevin Millwood had already signed his $55 mil over 5 contract, so I'd say $11 per for 3 looked pretty low at the time.

Anyone else get an inflated contract around then, or just Millwood from that jackass in Texas? One outsized contract should not set the market rate. At the AS break, Mark started sucking, and was going down hill. Maybe he didn't like the 3 years, but I don't think $11 milliion was lowballing him. It may not have been an attempt to lick his balls, but it wasn't hitting him in them either.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 01:31 PM)
Anyone else get an inflated contract around then, or just Millwood from that jackass in Texas? One outsized contract should not set the market rate. At the AS break, Mark started sucking, and was going down hill. Maybe he didn't like the 3 years, but I don't think $11 milliion was lowballing him. It may not have been an attempt to lick his balls, but it wasn't hitting him in them either.

Burnett got $11 mil per over 5 years, Washburn got $9.5 per over 4 years. Garland got his extension for $10 mil per over 3 years in the offseason, and everyone was surprised that he came so cheap. It was pretty clear that the price of pitching had gone up, to the point where $33 mil over 3 years obviously wouldn't cut it.

Edited by jackie hayes

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 12:31 PM)

Kevin Millwood (31yo): 5 years, $60M +15M signing bonus (RANGERS)

AJ Burnett (29yo): 5 years, $55M +6M signing bonus (BLUE JAYS)

Jarrod Washburn (31yo): 4 years, 37.5M (MARINERS)

Matt Morris (31yo): 3 years, $27.5M +2M signing bonus (GIANTS)

Esteban Loaiza (34yo): 3 years, $21M +3M signing bonus (ATHLETICS)

Kenny Rogers (41yo): 2 years, $18M (TIGERS)

As of the All Star break last season Mark Buehlre was younger and a much better pitcher than all of these guys.

One bloated contract probably shouldn't set market value for players but it almost always does, hell Jim Hendry is being blaimed for a lot of this after giving Howry and Eyre their insane contracts that same offseason.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 12:47 PM)
Burnett got $11 mil per over 5 years, Washburn got $9.5 per over 4 years. Garland got his extension for $10 mil per over 3 years in the offseason, and everyone was surprised that he came so cheap. It was pretty clear that the price of pitching had gone up, to the point where $33 mil over 3 years obviously wouldn't cut it.

Right.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 12:57 PM)
Kevin Millwood (31yo): 5 years, $60M +15M signing bonus (RANGERS)

AJ Burnett (29yo): 5 years, $55M +6M signing bonus (BLUE JAYS)

Jarrod Washburn (31yo): 4 years, 37.5M (MARINERS)

Matt Morris (31yo): 3 years, $27.5M +2M signing bonus (GIANTS)

Esteban Loaiza (34yo): 3 years, $21M +3M signing bonus (ATHLETICS)

Kenny Rogers (41yo): 2 years, $18M (TIGERS)

As of the All Star break last season Mark Buehlre was younger and a much better pitcher than all of these guys.

One bloated contract probably shouldn't set market value for players but it almost always does, hell Jim Hendry is being blaimed for a lot of this after giving Howry and Eyre their insane contracts that same offseason.

And the only one in that group making more than $11 million was Millwood. $11 milions would have put mark ahead of all of them. Yes, he is better than them, but that much better? I like Mark, but he had better be the old Mark if he wants to get better than $11 million at years end. If he performs like Ted Lilly again, he will be lucky to get that.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 03:50 PM)
And the only one in that group making more than $11 million was Millwood. $11 milions would have put mark ahead of all of them. Yes, he is better than them, but that much better? I like Mark, but he had better be the old Mark if he wants to get better than $11 million at years end. If he performs like Ted Lilly again, he will be lucky to get that.

As of July of last year he was MUCH better than all of them. $3M per better. Look at their ages compared to Mark's as well there's no reason why Buehlre should accept a 3 year deal when Guys like Millwood and Burnett are getting 5.

Yeah that offer had to be a wake up call for Buehrle that his days with the White Sox were numbered.

Personality wise, i've always thought Mark represented the average White Sox fan well. He has always struck me as passionate about the game (its refreshing to see a ballplayer that is still having fun) and not afraid to speak his mind about things he believed in. Always thought it would be fun to grab a beer with him.

I'll be sad to see him leave. And he will.

QUOTE(bad at best @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 06:19 PM)
Yeah that offer had to be a wake up call for Buehrle that his days with the White Sox were numbered.

Personality wise, i've always thought Mark represented the average White Sox fan well. He has always struck me as passionate about the game (its refreshing to see a ballplayer that is still having fun) and not afraid to speak his mind about things he believed in. Always thought it would be fun to grab a beer with him.

I'll be sad to see him leave. And he will.

Nice avatar. How'd you get than hue in the picture? What's the background?