Williams on Sox FA

Soxfest

Miguel Cabrera'd be great, but I think what KW's really doing is clearing out payroll for Ryan Howard after the 2010 season and Albert Pujols after the 2011 season, to replace Konerko and Thome. And for half of the Marlins. And Rickie Weeks and Delmon Young. It's gonna be awesome to be a Sox fan then.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 11:58 PM)
Yeah, we mine as well start printing Ichiro's name on the back of the jerseys. There is no way this deal won't happen.

On a similar note, does anyone know if the domain name of Ichirotalk.com has been registered yet?

I'm not that certain about signing Ichrio.

Anyone know aside from him, which other OF's are possible 2008 FA's?

How I feel is, either FA or bust. Enough of the trading prospects, "win-now" mentality. Develop talent, and with available funds sign necessary components. If everything falls into place, we shouldn't have to give up anything but two draft picks for Ichiro.

I actually kind of like Kenny's approach toward the FA's. It's no secret that the last year of a contract drives players to perform better in hopes of landing a big deal the next season. If these guys have a big season then the Sox' chances of winning another WS gets a lot better. Winning has a way of greasing the wheels, just look at Konerko. I'd say that if the Sox would've fallen short in the playoffs in '05 then he's probably wearing an Angels jersey right now.

Let's win, see what happens. That's what he's saying.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 01:12 AM)
I'm not that certain about signing Ichrio.

Anyone know aside from him, which other OF's are possible 2008 FA's?

How I feel is, either FA or bust. Enough of the trading prospects, "win-now" mentality. Develop talent, and with available funds sign necessary components. If everything falls into place, we shouldn't have to give up anything but two draft picks for Ichiro.

Andruw Jones is the other big of name. You also got Carlos Guillen and Zambrano.

Edit: And I almost forgot, Vernon Wells.

Edited by jackie hayes

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 12:17 AM)
Andruw Jones is the other big of name. You also got Carlos Guillen and Zambrano.

We're not coming close to any of those names.

Here's a website I found with other possible 2007 FA's:

http://sports.aol.com/mlb/story/_a/top-20-...118044909990001

Many pitchers, few corner outfielders.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 12:11 AM)
Miguel Cabrera'd be great, but I think what KW's really doing is clearing out payroll for Ryan Howard after the 2010 season and Albert Pujols after the 2011 season, to replace Konerko and Thome. And for half of the Marlins. And Rickie Weeks and Delmon Young. It's gonna be awesome to be a Sox fan then.

The Sox are going to be an absolute dyansty from 2012 on. And even though the Sox will continue to refuse to sign free agent pithcers, it won't matter because of all the can't-miss surefire ace pitching prospects the Sox have traded for. Danks-Gonzalez-Floyd will be better than Smoltz-Maddux-Glavine because all three of the Sox pitchers will get to 300 wins. Easily.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 01:16 AM)
I actually kind of like Kenny's approach toward the FA's. It's no secret that the last year of a contract drives players to perform better in hopes of landing a big deal the next season. If these guys have a big season then the Sox' chances of winning another WS gets a lot better. Winning has a way of greasing the wheels, just look at Konerko. I'd say that if the Sox would've fallen short in the playoffs in '05 then he's probably wearing an Angels jersey right now.

Let's win, see what happens. That's what he's saying.

This is precisely what I was thinking too. In addition to offering incentive for performance, he's also already dismissed any of the circus media crap pending FA's, and their franchises, have to deal with. There will be no sideshow concerning deals being signed this spring nor this season. KW is now on the record not only with the players, but also with the media, explaining the White Sox stance concerning contract negotiations.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 12:26 AM)
We're not coming close to any of those names.

Here's a website I found with other possible 2007 FA's:

http://sports.aol.com/mlb/story/_a/top-20-...118044909990001

Many pitchers, few corner outfielders.

In all seriousness, looking at that list the Sox are going to sign Rowand and that will be it.

If Young makes it to free agency, I could see the Sox bidding for him. But I don't see any way they will outbid Texas for him (he's a deity down there and Arias isn't ready to replace him).

If all the Sox FAs do depart, and Crede is traded, the payroll in 2008 should be back down around $60 Million.

Edited by hitlesswonder

Is KW losing his mind or something? We won the World Series in 2005, now he is getting rid of everyone it seems.

He would have to be crazy to get rid of Iguchi and Dye. We might want to consider firing KW before he has us in last place. :angry:

Seems like a bit of damage control from Kenny overall here.

Realistically, I'd be stoked if we could re-sign 2 out of Buehrle, Dye and Iguchi. Most likely it'll be 1 (the Gooch), but I still have hope for either.

Remember that if Dye leaves, it's not all bad. Jermaine Dye didn't have great value when he signed with us, it was a high risk high reward type of signing, and in our ballpark the way it favors the hitters, we can afford to make that type of signing again.

As for Ichiro, I think it's a definite posibility. The Mariners would have to be a +.500 team for him to think about re-signing, and I don't see that happening.

And a lot of the big market teams already have a lot of money invested in leadoff hitters already, which would help us majorly if we were to chase him.

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 06:28 PM)
Is KW losing his mind or something? We won the World Series in 2005, now he is getting rid of everyone it seems.

He would have to be crazy to get rid of Iguchi and Dye. We might want to consider firing KW before he has us in last place. :angry:

Of course we want to re-sign them.

But if Dye got offered say $65M over 4 seasons, do you want to make that type of investment in a hitter into his 30's?

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 06:45 AM)
This is precisely what I was thinking too. In addition to offering incentive for performance, he's also already dismissed any of the circus media crap pending FA's, and their franchises, have to deal with. There will be no sideshow concerning deals being signed this spring nor this season. KW is now on the record not only with the players, but also with the media, explaining the White Sox stance concerning contract negotiations.

I agree. KW certainly seems to be taking the heat off these guys, by telling the media he wants them to test the market. KW has learned from the "Buerhle Soxfest media circus" to be the one to take the questions, and take the shots from fans--[which, judging by a lot of the talk around here, is working well]. Instead of his players being asked the same damn FA question all season long, they can play ball for 2007.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 03:51 AM)
I completely agree. I dont recall many other teams crying about $ every time they open their mouths. I'm sick of the stance this organization takes and I'm sick of his pompous attitude.

Really, this team's stars are aging or will be gone after this year. Tell us what plan there is, other than to make millions of $, of course.

The sox have their "3 year" and "5 year board" up the team's MLB site. Haven't you seen it?

Seriously though, KW has said that he had many of the players he was looking for on his "board" he acquired. With the sox pitching probably set for many years, they can focus on having the right blend of position players. Yet the sox are going to win or lose based on their pitching.

BTW, seeing how the only "star" position player likely gone is Dye, do you want the sox to sign him to a four yr deal worth say $60 mill, which is what some team will likely give him? I'm sorry, but spending that kind of money on a corner OFer in his 34-37 age isn't wise when the sox already have Konerko signed through 2010 and Thome through 2009. Aren't those two big bats pretty decent to build around?

The sox could use another young position player who could hit leadoff or #2. Except there aren't many guys like that available. That's what I'd like to see the sox use their money and/or minor league talent to acquire.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 02:06 PM)
Thought about it some more last night. I guess the only thing that I really don't understand is Iguchi. Like a few others have said, we just dont have any other options.

IMO, if KW is going to have 1 public stance--ie, 'we'll talk with FA's after the yr'--he has to apply it to everyone. That doesn't mean the sox can't float an offer to the player's agent during the yr and see if they bite--which Tad might but Dye and Mark would be silly to. But you have one policy, and apply it to everyone at least publicly.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 08:06 AM)
With Iguchi. what happens if he leaves? Like Kal brought up, there are a few 2b options out there, but nothing really better than Tad. He has basically put up identical numbers the last two years, and while he is getting a little older, I really don't see much of a decline with Iguchi. IMO, he is a must sign, and something I would really like to see get done before the 07 off-season. I just don't see any other options.

I'm trying to make sense of the value of secondbasemen. Ronnie Belliard, a decent player, not quite as good as Iguchi, but not horrendous, signed a minor league contract with Washington, that will pay him $750,000 if he makes the team. His numbers last year were decent, a shade under Iguchi's, but certainly not $5 million to $7 million worse than his. Iguchi did hit one of the biggest homeruns in White Sox history, something that gets really no attention. If he doesn't homer in Game 2 of the division series, and the White Sox lose that game, they may not even make it to the WS.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 07:44 AM)
I know i will get blasted but it looking like JR is not going to spend the money!

Its all part of the game he plays. Its an annoying game, but the results have generally been good. I don't think you can read much into KW's words - more his actions.

And let's put the reality out there again. The team's payroll this year will likely be slightly higher than last year, not less. That means the Sox will probably have a Top 5 payroll again (or close to it). To say they aren't spending the money is just wrong on its face.

Now, if we fail to resign all three of those key guys mentioned (Iguchi, Dye, Buerhle), and some others like Crede, after the 2007 season... and if we fail to replace those players with real talent... then I'll be as upset as anyone at that point. For now, though, that doesn't seem likely to me, despite what is being said. If the Sox draw well this year and are competitive for the whole season, I think you'll see some of those guys re-signed for 2008 and beyond (though not all of them I am sure). If the team looks terrible in July, then you'll likely see one or two of them traded for other talent.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 01:40 AM)
The Sox are going to be an absolute dyansty from 2012 on. And even though the Sox will continue to refuse to sign free agent pithcers, it won't matter because of all the can't-miss surefire ace pitching prospects the Sox have traded for. Danks-Gonzalez-Floyd will be better than Smoltz-Maddux-Glavine because all three of the Sox pitchers will get to 300 wins. Easily.

I am happy that the Sox are looking to strengthen the minor league system, though. I was being sarcastic, but only in the sense that it seems awfully funny to talk about signing someone 3 full seasons away from free agency. Imho.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 09:03 AM)
why is everyone worried about free-agency for next year? Why dont we play baseball this year and worry about that stuff next winter.

thumbs up to that :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers

everything will work itself out. the way i see it is that KW is just putting it out there for everyone that in reality some of these players are indeed going to be leaving, but some won't.

hes just taking a different strategy that other GM's at saying this, and his other strategies have worked in the past...

:gosox3:

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 09:03 AM)
why is everyone worried about free-agency for next year? Why dont we play baseball this year and worry about that stuff next winter.

Because there's no reason not to. When the general manager is already making statements regarding next season's free agents then I don't see why the fans can't look to a year in advance. This situation is likely going to impact how the 2007 season plays out as well, it's all connected. I guess if you don't want to discuss the situation regarding the pending free agents on the roster you don't have to but I don't see why no one else should.

I don't know how many people on this board are out of school and work full-time...but many times I have heard someone go in and ask about raises and the response comes back, "You are free to look elsewhere."

AND, I would be happy if that were the case. That means they respect me. That doesn't say to me that they wouldn't match or exceed the offer, that says that they don't to limit me. Maybe that's optomistic, but so what? Sure, they could think I won't find anything better. Or, they'll just let me go because I'm replaceable. But, the decision is left up to me...the person who does the work.

Ya never know, I just might take less to stay, because I like it here. And I have no problem with Kenny being honest, as long as he told the players first before it went to the media.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 03:55 PM)
Because there's no reason not to. When the general manager is already making statements regarding next season's free agents then I don't see why the fans can't look to a year in advance. This situation is likely going to impact how the 2007 season plays out as well, it's all connected. I guess if you don't want to discuss the situation regarding the pending free agents on the roster you don't have to but I don't see why no one else should.

It's Kenny's job to look 3 yrs down the line, not ours. I, as a fan, am solely focused on what happens in the '07 season so to talk about '08 is a complete waste of time to this observer.

In terms of '07 being connected, I won't argue that since it's a pretty simple equation:

If the Sox tank, Kenny will dump the pending FAs for prospects in July.

If the Sox win the World Series, Kenny will make his plans with the FAs the day after the Series is over.

Till then, much ado about nothing in Feb. I applaud Kenny for being honest not only to his players but to the media when cliches would warrant such responses.

It would be a pretty boring message board if we all just applauded KW.

"Isnt KW brilliant?"

"Yeah, completely"

"Coundn't have said it better"

"What do we talk about now?"

"I don't know, maybe how great ozzie is?"

"Yeah he is great too"

"Totally"

*crickets chirping*