Sirius and XM to Merge!!!

jasonxctf

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 02:42 PM)
I don't feel XM is better.

Then here's where I am confused. XM has 7.1 million subsribers and Sirius 5.1. Taking out the 3 million that signed up because of Howard that means 2.1 million versus 7.1 million for the rest of the stuff. As you claim there is no programming that can approach Howard, so why did people choose XM 3-1 over Sirius?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 02:46 PM)
The customer base wasnt there, the interest for Sirius as a unique vendor had died down as most of Stern audience were already converted. I suspected growth for both companies with a level off inthe next year.

With that said, i have made alot of money on the stock and Im pretty pumped about the merge. I listen mostly for sports and somewhat for music and its going to be cool to be able to listen to everything. I hope they can get approval and get this done in good time because as of right now, im not a subscriber to either.

WHOA! What happened to your XM stuff?

I think growth was really going to slow up, and the Stern effect now was going to be the name recognition. I think sales will really slow down now, since people will be confused on what to do because they are merging.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 02:49 PM)
Then here's where I am confused. XM has 7.1 million subsribers and Sirius 5.1. Taking out the 3 million that signed up because of Howard that means 2.1 million versus 7.1 million for the rest of the stuff. As you claim there is no programming that can approach Howard, so why did people choose XM 3-1 over Sirius?

First to market, then better brand recognition, then got into cars and rentals faster.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 02:49 PM)

Started first, better technology up front, and better car manufacturer deals. I think overall the Sirius audience is more dedicated, because so many have gotten them via retail, instead of with a car. Sirius started in a big hole.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 02:54 PM)
But satellite was not legit until Howard? :huh

I think XM had maybe 2 million subs, and Sirius 600,000 when he signed his deal.

So you're not buying my legit comment, huh? I think that's when people realized this was a business that wasnt' going away. Stern also worked well for XM, I guarantee plenty of people came in to the store and said, give me the one Stern is NOT on.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 02:56 PM)
I think XM had maybe 2 million subs, and Sirius 600,000 when he signed his deal.

So you're not buying my legit comment, huh? I think that's when people realized this was a business that wasnt' going away. Stern also worked well for XM, I guarantee plenty of people came in to the store and said, give me the one Stern is NOT on.

I think he was the biggest star, on par with the sports offerings. I don't think he gave the technology legitimacy. I doubt he helped XM too much. People bought and buy sat radio for the stations they want to listen to, not to avoid someone. They could do that with Sirius and just not tune in. They bought based on price, friends recommendations, name recognition,etc.

As far as the numbers leveling off, 3 million isn't a lot of people in our country, why has his audience leveled off? With the switch to satellite, his show was suppose to get better and even more popular.

Using your numbers, XM continued to sign up the same number of subscribers as Sirius after the deal. What does that tell you? Again using your fan boy inflated numbers, It tells me 8 million didn't care and 3 million did. Still an amazing number, but far from legitimacy.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 03:05 PM)
I think he was the biggest star, on par with the sports offerings. I don't think he gave the technology legitimacy. I doubt he helped XM too much. People bought and buy sat radio for the stations they want to listen to, not to avoid someone. They could do that with Sirius and just not tune in. They bought based on price, friends recommendations, name recognition,etc.

As far as the numbers leveling off, 3 million isn't a lot of people in our country, why has his audience leveled off? With the switch to satellite, his show was suppose to get better and even more popular.

Well, anytime you ask people to pay for something deemed a free service, not everyone is going to follow him.

More popular? Well, if they didn't have to pay, probably. And the show is better. I've listened for 10+ years and I think he's doing his best stuff now.

Fan boy numbers? Good one.

Edited by tonyho7476

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 03:07 PM)
Well, anytime you ask people to pay for something deemed a free service, not everyone is going to follow him.

More popular? Well, if they didn't have to pay, probably. And the show is better. I've listened for 10+ years and I think he's doing his best stuff now.

Fan boy numbers? Good one.

Sorry, I phrased that poorly. Yours are about the most optimistic regarding his impact. Let's say that XM and Sirius split those subscribers, or they don't sign up at all. That makes it Sirius with between 2.1 and 3.6 and XM between 7.1 and 8.6 million. Game set and match. So I do agree that Sterns probably kept Sirius in the game. But if he had the kind of impact you are describing, XM would not have kept pace.

If the public needed Sterns to add legitimacy and to prove satellite would be around, why sign up for the competitor? How does Stern and Sirius add legitimacy to XM? I agree it shows that Sirius was willing to make a huge investment, but I fail to see how it would help add legitimacy to XM.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 03:38 PM)
Sorry, I phrased that poorly. Yours are about the most optimistic regarding his impact. Let's say that XM and Sirius split those subscribers, or they don't sign up at all. That makes it Sirius with between 2.1 and 3.6 and XM between 7.1 and 8.6 million. Game set and match. So I do agree that Sterns probably kept Sirius in the game. But if he had the kind of impact you are describing, XM would not have kept pace.

If the public needed Sterns to add legitimacy and to prove satellite would be around, why sign up for the competitor? How does Stern and Sirius add legitimacy to XM? I agree it shows that Sirius was willing to make a huge investment, but I fail to see how it would help add legitimacy to XM.

Me saying 3 million doesn't mean its right. I say look at the subscriber numbers around the time he jumped on board, and that doesn't seem to be that big of a stretch. And Stern has been on 1 year. Again, XM has better car deals, had better equipment (pretty compatible now), and was the name.

Stern brought attention to satellite, like never before, and I think more people looked into the product. Again, before this year, if you went to the store and looked at the plug and play radios, XM blew them away.

Either way, this merger should make this more of a mainstream product, but a lot of people cannot get past the 'pay for radio' idea. Usually once they hear it, they feel its worth it. These days, the monthly cost is 2 lunches.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 03:50 PM)
Me saying 3 million doesn't mean its right. I say look at the subscriber numbers around the time he jumped on board, and that doesn't seem to be that big of a stretch. And Stern has been on 1 year. Again, XM has better car deals, had better equipment (pretty compatible now), and was the name.

Stern brought attention to satellite, like never before, and I think more people looked into the product. Again, before this year, if you went to the store and looked at the plug and play radios, XM blew them away.

Either way, this merger should make this more of a mainstream product, but a lot of people cannot get past the 'pay for radio' idea. Usually once they hear it, they feel its worth it. These days, the monthly cost is 2 lunches.

I am certain there are closely held surveys that measured the exact impact he had. It certainly could be said it kept Sirius in the game. I don't think the same investment could have been made in advertising, different entertainmemt, and have as big an impact. It is interesting to think about, is the size of Stern's contract keeping SIrius from remaining independent? Kind of like A-Rod and the Rangers?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 04:02 PM)
I am certain there are closely held surveys that measured the exact impact he had. It certainly could be said it kept Sirius in the game. I don't think the same investment could have been made in advertising, different entertainmemt, and have as big an impact. It is interesting to think about, is the size of Stern's contract keeping SIrius from remaining independent? Kind of like A-Rod and the Rangers?

All I know about the Golden Jew's ridiculous contract is that Mel Karmazin said he would do the deal again in a second, and was even interested in extending the contract.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 04:03 PM)
All I know about the Golden Jew's ridiculous contract is that Mel Karmazin said he would do the deal again in a second, and was even interested in extending the contract.

Mel is one hell of a salesman. I suspect they would. I also think he was worth more to Sirius than XM.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 02:52 PM)
Started first, better technology up front, and better car manufacturer deals. I think overall the Sirius audience is more dedicated, because so many have gotten them via retail, instead of with a car. Sirius started in a big hole.

There seems to be an echo in here...

I meant this...

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 02:50 PM)
First to market, then better brand recognition, then got into cars and rentals faster.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 02:52 PM)

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 02:50 PM)
WHOA! What happened to your XM stuff?

I think growth was really going to slow up, and the Stern effect now was going to be the name recognition. I think sales will really slow down now, since people will be confused on what to do because they are merging.

I never drive anymore so I gave it up for now. With the merge I may be back on. As soon as the portable units work as well inside as they do outside, my need has really dropped off.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 05:01 PM)
I never drive anymore so I gave it up for now. With the merge I may be back on. As soon as the portable units work as well inside as they do outside, my need has really dropped off.

I'm shocked. You seemed to be as big a fan of XM as I am of Sirius.

Its satellite radio, I don't think the indoor reception will ever be better than AM/FM.

The Sirius Stiletto is cool because you can stream music from the web, via wifi. I've used it and its pretty good. And I get reception in about 50% of my gym, and when I go to the back of the gym, I switch to the recorded content I have.

anyway, you are done and I understand.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 08:13 AM)
I'm shocked. You seemed to be as big a fan of XM as I am of Sirius.

Its satellite radio, I don't think the indoor reception will ever be better than AM/FM.

The Sirius Stiletto is cool because you can stream music from the web, via wifi. I've used it and its pretty good. And I get reception in about 50% of my gym, and when I go to the back of the gym, I switch to the recorded content I have.

anyway, you are done and I understand.

yeah, im a huge fan. I only commute 10 min now so it wasnt worth it, but most likely i will start it back up in the summer on my boat, which is the most useful installation i have had to date.

Mel Karmazin (sp?) was on Howard yesterday to talk about the merger, some highlights from what I remember (heard it driving, so if I don't get something 100% correct, please correct)

-He will be the head of the company if the merger goes through (forgot what his title would be).

-Feels it will easily clear the justice department review of the merger

-a little more concerned about the FCC hurdle, but feels stronger than "50%" it will go through

-Their argument will be that satellite radio should not be looked at as an industry onto itself, and should be conidered to be competitors against I-Pods, teresterial (sp?) radio and other audio entertainment options

-Someone did mention that when the 2 licenses were issued there was a clasue that one company couldn't own both. He really didn't confront it other than to say that clause exists and hopes that it will be reconsidered. (IMO, this may be a problem, because he did say it existed, but never really said how they will overcome this.)

-Said they would agree to give assurances about prices or ad regulations if that makes it go through.

-Said he doesn't see prices raising, basically using the idea that the merger would slash overhead since it would only be one company, and a lot of the duplicate costs would go away.

-He will be testfying at a Congressional Hearing this week about the issue.

If I forgot something, or misstated something, please add