Jamar Smith charged with felony DUI and failure to report accident

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 11:32 AM)
Should he watch over them 24/7 or something? They are college kids, and Jamar made a big mistake. Don't try to play this off any other way than Jamar just made some terrible choicies. Another coach, same story.

I'm not saying it's weber's fault or not, but this is the kind of thing that reflects poorly, especially after he's been receiving plenty of criticism for subpar recruiting and not achieving the high expectations. It sorta piles on as fans would probably be more lenient if the program was doing a little better at the moment.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 10:56 AM)
Was Luther Heads problems when Webber or Self was there?

Weber was there for that one as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see this man gone as soon as the off-season.

Edited by MHizzle85

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 11:32 AM)
Should he watch over them 24/7 or something? They are college kids, and Jamar made a big mistake. Don't try to play this off any other way than Jamar just made some terrible choicies. Another coach, same story.

And oh btw, if you want to talk about Luther Head and communication, at least mention how Weber helped him turn his life around, and now he's in the NBA.

No, a coach can't chaperone players 24/7, and I wouldn't expect him to. And it's not like I expect a coach to bust into the player's apartment during a party and take a baseball bat to all the alcohol and whatever else is laying around. But, the head coach is ultimately responsible for the program; he gets paid a lot of money to build a solid program. It's pretty clear that this program is disfunctional. The two most disturbing things from what I've read are:

1) An assistant coach was called and apparently didn't tell Smith to call 911 and didn't make the call himself. It's interesting that Weber wasn't the one that got called.

2) At least one other player saw Carlwell injured and did nothing about it. It's possible (probable) other players were there but didn't even go out to see him, and didn't call 911 either.

Both of those, particularly the first, reflect terribly on the program Weber has built. Things may be different than what was reported. Maybe Smith called the coach after the police were already on the scene, I don't know. But if things did happen the way they have been reported, this program needs to be ripped apart and a new staff brought in. And the players involved beyond Smith should be urged to transfer.

Smith made two terrible decisons, but assuming it's a first offense, I do hope he avoids jail time. In fact, I'd even be supportive of Smith keeping his scholarship after doing tons of community service, but if he wants to play basketball again I think it should be somewhere else. Not that my opinion means anything, for some reason I just feel like yapping today.

As a sad follower...this is a kid who decided to be ridiculously stupid one night and almost killed his teammate. I don't think you dump him and leave him out to dry. The staff are the adults, the players are the kids. You wouldn't dump your child out on the street, would you? I'm not saying he should ever play hoops for the Illini again, but there has got to be a way to at least offer Jamar a chance to redeem himself without completely turning your back on him.

When I was at U of I, there was a party on the fourth or fifth floor in one of those courtyard apartments and a VERY drunk freshman was sitting on the rail and fell backwards, killing himself.

The students that threw the party were not kicked out of school. They were sentenced to do community service and I think, if I remember correctly, one withdrew on his own.

As I said before, yank his scholarship, pull him off the team, but don't kick him out of school. If he EVER wants to play for the Illini again, he is going to have to earn it himself. If not, then, he'll disappear. But, turning your back on a kid making mistakes that many people his age have made is very rough. Call me a bleeding heart. Call me a follower. It's my opinion, FWIW.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 06:10 PM)
As a sad follower...this is a kid who decided to be ridiculously stupid one night and almost killed his teammate. I don't think you dump him and leave him out to dry. The staff are the adults, the players are the kids. You wouldn't dump your child out on the street, would you? I'm not saying he should ever play hoops for the Illini again, but there has got to be a way to at least offer Jamar a chance to redeem himself without completely turning your back on him.

When I was at U of I, there was a party on the fourth or fifth floor in one of those courtyard apartments and a VERY drunk freshman was sitting on the rail and fell backwards, killing himself.

The students that threw the party were not kicked out of school. They were sentenced to do community service and I think, if I remember correctly, one withdrew on his own.

As I said before, yank his scholarship, pull him off the team, but don't kick him out of school. If he EVER wants to play for the Illini again, he is going to have to earn it himself. If not, then, he'll disappear. But, turning your back on a kid making mistakes that many people his age have made is very rough. Call me a bleeding heart. Call me a follower. It's my opinion, FWIW.

nine out of ten times i'd agree with you. i just think that at this point it's weber's responsibility to throw down the gauntlet in terms of what is acceptable and what is not. it can be argued that he's been weak on punishments in the past and that contributed to this incident. i have a hard time drawing a straight-line relationship between the two, but you can make an effective argument that way.

i also think some of this decision may not even be in weber's hands. guenther has seen what has gone on in the program over the past year and he must be concerned. i wouldn't be surprised if he's already told weber how this is going to end.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 11:35 AM)
Greg Couch's article in the ST today.

I didn't see anything about Brown having a problem with Weber in that piece. I do remember that Weber wasn't happy with Brown's decision to try to go pro the same year as Deron Williams, and there clearly was some bad blood there. It doesn't seem like he's holding much of a grudge though, becuse Brown apparently showed up for the game on Sunday and talked to the team.

Anyway, in my opinion Couch is an idiot (even if I happen to agree that a coaching change might be a good idea). His columns routinely seem to be hit pieces that have little factual basis. I remember his column about the Bears-SEA game ripping Grossman's performance in passing (never mind that he was probably the Bears MVP that game and outperformed proven veteran Matt Hasselback). Couch seems like a Mariotti-wanna-be to me.

As for Weber's performance, on the court his team is poised to win 20 games this season and as bad as recruiting has been it's probably a sign that he's not violating NCAA rules. If I were the Illinois AD, I actually wouldn't have any concern about his coaching ability.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 12:18 PM)
nine out of ten times i'd agree with you. i just think that at this point it's weber's responsibility to throw down the gauntlet in terms of what is acceptable and what is not. it can be argued that he's been weak on punishments in the past and that contributed to this incident. i have a hard time drawing a straight-line relationship between the two, but you can make an effective argument that way.

i also think some of this decision may not even be in weber's hands. guenther has seen what has gone on in the program over the past year and he must be concerned. i wouldn't be surprised if he's already told weber how this is going to end.

To me, coaches are father-figures. They should do everything in their power to help someone get on the right track. If anyone decides to dump Jamar, it should be Guenther. Ultimately, he's the one who should make that decision, with the coaching staff's input, but I would hope the coach would try to stick up for the player.

Hearing 2 felony counts is scary, but I doubt that he'll be found guilty on both. I could see a plea happening with maybe some jail time and LOTS of community service and probably a license revocation for a couple of years.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 06:19 PM)
I didn't see anything about Brown having a problem with Weber in that piece. I do remember that Weber wasn't happy with Brown's decision to try to go pro the same year as Deron Williams, and there clearly was some bad blood there. It doesn't seem like he's holding much of a grudge though, becuse Brown apparently showed up for the game on Sunday and talked to the team.

The Dee stuff is from being around the program and direct communication with him during classes. As I've told others on this board, Weber just doesn't click with the 18-23 yr old group he's been recruiting. One very publicized recruiting target the Illini missed on was embarrassed by how poorly Weber came across during his recruiting visit.

Here is Greg Couch's column btw. I agree with every word of it except his Luther comments. First of all, Luther was a 7 PPG reserve at the time of that incident (right at the start of the 2003-2004 season) and was actually thought of lower than incoming hot shot freshman Rich McBride, who was also involved. Plus, Luther has turned his life around big time. But besides that, I agree with every part of it.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/couch/26583...-greg21.article

Weber losing control with kid-glove method

February 21, 2007

BY GREG COUCH Sun-Times Columnist

We're past the heart tugs and sorrowful tales with Illinois now. Brian Carlwell survived the crash, and it was fine at the time to be thankful for that, only that, and not to have any other feelings.

Two Illinois basketball players, Carlwell and Jamar Smith, driving on the ice, rammed sideways into a tree nine days ago, and at the time, the story was about prayers and well-wishes and hopes.

Now, it's about felony DUI, drinking games with tequila and beer, double the legal blood-alcohol level. It's about two stupid kids doing a stupid thing that almost killed one of them.

It's about Smith, the alleged drunken driver in Illini sweatpants, thinking that Carlwell was dead, then driving his smashed car home and running to his roommate, Chester Frazier, and other teammates who happened to be there, and telling them frantically what had happened.

So Smith and Frazier went to the parking lot, where Carlwell was just sitting there in the wreck, unconscious. They checked the car, then went back inside.

It's about no one calling 911 for their friend, their teammate.

Those were the charges Tuesday from Champaign County State's Attorney Julia Rietz. So how was Carlwell saved?

''Two witnesses saw the damaged vehicle pull into the parking lot and saw a tall man exit the vehicle and enter the apartment building,'' Rietz said in a written statement. ''They also saw an unconscious passenger in the vehicle. Then they saw the tall man and a second man return, approach the car and then leave and go back into the building. The witnesses called 911 at 11:40 p.m. No other 911 calls were made.''

Are Weber's days numbered?

And now it's about Illinois coach Bruce Weber, too, and where he is leading the Illini. Weber is a good man, a nice man, but the program is on a downward spiral on the court and off, and it's starting to appear that he is not capable of stopping it.

Just two years ago, Weber still was fairly new to this job when he was leading Illinois to the national championship game. Now the team is struggling just to make the NCAA tournament. Weber isn't recruiting well. And even the whole nice, honest man thing is lost to the program's new image with so many problems.

The truth is, I don't think Weber is going to have this job much longer.

''This was a case of extremely poor judgment by Jamar,'' he said in a statement. ''Now the legal process must run its course. Our program will continue to support Jamar as he deals with this situation. He remains a part of our family and needs us now more than ever.''

No. A statement is not enough this time. Weber didn't talk much after the accident. And that was acceptable because the fear was fresh, the times emotional.

We're past that now. Weber needs to address this program and what has happened to it under his watch. A DUI charge is not an emotional thing but a behavioral issue. To hide behind a statemen is to run from the problem.

We still don't know all the details of that night, but we do know that this is the second DUI on Weber's team in the last five months. We know that another player got into an altercation with a bouncer outside a bar before the season. We know that a few years ago, three players were somehow involved in a burglary, and Weber barely punished the best player involved, Luther Head.

Wrist-slapping isn't working

Has this become an outlaw program? I can't go that far.

But it is one with dark clouds.

Kids drink. Let's not be naive. This is a little beyond that, though. This, allegedly, is Smith completely drunk, deciding to drive on the ice, with the result nearly being death.

Weber is responsible for this program and how it represents the school. You wonder: Had he kicked Rich McBride off the team for his DUI five months ago, or at least given him a longer suspension than four games, might that have altered everyone else's behavior?

Maybe not. But at least you would have the feeling that Weber was leading with a strong enough fist.

Meanwhile, the Illini image is falling. You think Weber had a tough time landing recruits before? The thing he had to sell was his integrity, likability, honesty.

Now, coaches recruiting against him will counter that by mentioning to kids' moms that this is a program with two DUIs, a robbery, declining results.

Weber still is all those good things. Before charges were filed against Smith, Weber already had suspended him for the rest of the season, while at the same time talking with him, trying to help him through this. But that doesn't change the perception.

And it doesn't change the direction of the program, either.

Two years ago, Illinois was just minutes away from being national champion with a fresh feel of a good-guy coach who wasn't slick. Today, Illinois is something else entirely.

Basically, what I read into what he says is, Weber is too damn nice. His being nice is killing him in recruting (it NEVER works there) and his compassion towards mistakes is too much. I understood his treatment of Rich and Luther with the robbery and Pruitt with the night club thing, because they were first time offenders.

But after Rich screwed up AGAIN, to only give him 4 games against cupcakes can't be accepted. After Jamar was suspended a game for THREE underage drinking tickets (do you know how hard it is to get caught drinking underage 3 times in a year at college folks? Almost impossible) and was never talked to about it again, also unacceptable.

Bruce's kindness and compassion are being taken advantage of by his players, who act reckless without fear of consequence, and in recruiting, where the slimeballs are kicking his ass. Now Bruce didn't make the terrible decisions that Jamar did last week, but at the same time, if he were tougher on kids that screw up, especially those with a history of issues with things, the program would be a lot better off.

As it is, I don't think Bruce will change, I think players and recruiters will keep taking advantage of him, and Bruce will end up looking for work as a result (although the incredible record he built up his first 3 years with Bail's players bought him SOME leeway).

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 01:02 PM)
Jesus christ people, they're 19 years old, this isn't on Bruce, sorry. These guys can make their own decisions, BW can't be on them 24/7 and he's not their daddy. I think it's to the point where everyone wants to blame everything on Bruce. This is all on Jamar.

Obviously yes, but the building problems inside the program are on Bruce. You can't blame everything on the individual.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 12:22 PM)
Hearing 2 felony counts is scary, but I doubt that he'll be found guilty on both. I could see a plea happening with maybe some jail time and LOTS of community service and probably a license revocation for a couple of years.

With the evidence against Jamar, he'll be lucky if he gets out of it with a plea. As it is, if Guenther and Weber let a guy who pleas on 2 felonies and left his teammate to die while he sobered up at his apartment back in the program, then I want both of their heads on a *censored* platter.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 07:02 PM)
Jesus christ people, they're 19 years old, this isn't on Bruce, sorry. These guys can make their own decisions, BW can't be on them 24/7 and he's not their daddy. I think it's to the point where everyone wants to blame everything on Bruce. This is all on Jamar.

If he punishes McBride more severly, then maybe he sends more of a "zero tolerance" message to his team. This was nowhere close to Jamar's first issue with alcohol at the school, and that's why I don't buy this is his first mistake. I'm still of the opinion though that Head, McBride, and Spears should have been thrown out of school, and likely into jail, for their burglary.

Also, in what could be the most bizarre twist, Brian is actually supporting Jamar through this situation. This certainly isn't insider info (facebook...lol) but I saw a link to a Jamar support group, clicked on it, and the 2nd wall post was from BC telling Jamar to hang strong and that he'd get through this. That is bizarre as hell to me considering what Jamar did to him, but I guess BC has a stronger and more forgiving heart than I do.

The details just get better and better....

WCIA just broadcast an interview with the woman who called 911. She said after she saw Smith park the car and saw the damage, she heard the driver of the car shouting things like 'Wake up', which was the first indication somebody else was in the car. She then shouted down to Jamar to ask if he needed help, and he replied that he did not.

He then ran away from the car, returned shortly after with someone else, but did not go all the way back to the car before disappearing again. Apparently that's when the flashers came on the car, and Brian started honking the horn. She says Brian appeared to be conscious when he was pulled out of the car.

Unreal.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 01:16 PM)
If he punishes McBride more severly, then maybe he sends more of a "zero tolerance" message to his team. This was nowhere close to Jamar's first issue with alcohol at the school, and that's why I don't buy this is his first mistake. I'm still of the opinion though that Head, McBride, and Spears should have been thrown out of school, and likely into jail, for their burglary.

So you are saying that punishing McBride for say 8 or 10 games instead of 4 that would have deterred the actions of Jamar. I don't see it.

Just reading some of these posts and the responses to them, most of you guys are around the same age as these players. Am I really hearing people saying that college aged kids aren't mature enough to be held responsible for their own actions? Are the people who are saying that Weber should bear responsiblity really trying to tell me that you all should still be answering to your parents, and they should be making your decesions for you?

I forgot to mention that it was also in the paper today that Bruce SPECIFICALLY told the players "blizzard tonight, don't go out" after practice on the 12th. Now some of the crap Weber has taken isn't fair, but I think to say that IF he wouldn't have just slapped all other offenders on the wrist, maybe they'd have listened.

And great points, SS2K5.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 07:29 PM)
So you are saying that punishing McBride for say 8 or 10 games instead of 4 that would have deterred the actions of Jamar. I don't see it.

I think he should have been kicked out his freshman year. Then, after the DUI, he should have been suspended for the entire non-conference. Weber was way too lenient with these criminal acts in the past, and now he's in a situation where if there's another issue, he's gone. It all comes down to respect, and too many of the guys on the basketball team recently don't seem to care if they disrespect Weber or not.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 01:37 PM)
I think he should have been kicked out his freshman year. Then, after the DUI, he should have been suspended for the entire non-conference. Weber was way too lenient with these criminal acts in the past, and now he's in a situation where if there's another issue, he's gone.

Fair enough

The reason that this is happening is not weber, its because this is Illinois (with the DUI's atleast).

Im sorry but last I checked you only have to be 19 to get into bars into Champaign? Is that still correct?

Because that is setting a piss-poor example for these players, they go into bars where they undoubtedly get served and they believe that they are allowed to drink. The school does not do anything to stop it, so why should all the blame be placed on the players?

9 out of 10 of us on this board are either in college or have been to college. I would venture to say that almost the same amount of us drank underage.

No amount of a coach telling the players not to do something is going to change what college is.

The only thing that can change is:

1) Stop the foolish policy of 19 into bars. It basically is giving the green light for under age drinking, and if you dont think that plays a role in these players decisions, I think your mistaken. When they can go into bars, it makes them feel like drinking is OK. Even when you hear the newspaper they keep saying things like "Smith was 2x the legal limit". Thats not even true, he was infinity above the legal limit, because the legal limit in IL under 21 is 0. You only get .08 if you are over 21.

2) The school has to step in, not Weber. Eventhough its his team, the reality of the situation is he has to support his players. If he starts selling them down the river, how will he get recruits in the future? If Illinois itself disciplines them, he can atleast say "Hey I stood up for them, thats all I can do".

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 01:33 PM)
Just reading some of these posts and the responses to them, most of you guys are around the same age as these players. Am I really hearing people saying that college aged kids aren't mature enough to be held responsible for their own actions? Are the people who are saying that Weber should bear responsiblity really trying to tell me that you all should still be answering to your parents, and they should be making your decesions for you?

Well, I'm far away from being 20 years-old now, but I'll answer anyway. Certainly, someone of typical college age should be held responsible for their actions. And it's pretty clear that Jamar Smith will. The culpability of Weber is in creating a program where a bunch of players and an assistant coach apparently thought covering up a DUI accident was more important than health, maybe even life, of a teammate. If that interpretation of the events is wrong, which is possible, then I don't think the AD should fire Weber. But if it is correct...well, Weber is a like the manager of a division in a company, and it's clear his division has problems. He should be held accountable for that. I don't know if he should be fired, but it has to be strongly considered.

I'm sure a lot of people are down on Weber because he can't recruit and the team is on the tournament bubble. I really don't care about that. He may not relate well to 20 year-olds, but I'm sure that's true of a majority of the coaches at Division1 basketball schools. I actually admire Weber's apparent compassion. And I doubt that a stiffer penalty for McBride would have dissuaded Smith from drinking and driving in a blizzard (although a half season suspension wouldn't have been inapproprate IMO). But the thing with the assistant coach, Frazier and Smith leaving Carlwell in the car...something needs to change, becuase that's inexcusable.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 01:33 PM)

Yeah, surprisingly you are hearing that.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 01:37 PM)
I think he should have been kicked out his freshman year. Then, after the DUI, he should have been suspended for the entire non-conference. Weber was way too lenient with these criminal acts in the past, and now he's in a situation where if there's another issue, he's gone. It all comes down to respect, and too many of the guys on the basketball team recently don't seem to care if they disrespect Weber or not.

While I can see your point, I don't think that is how the majority of programs around division 1 are run (correct me if i'm wrong). I don't think Bruce went way out of his way to be lenient in his punishments. I thought Rich could have received more games. However, I don't see how that in particular would have affected Jamar. 4 or 8, etc, not a big deal.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 01:41 PM)
Again, this isn't even close to being Jamar's first run-in with alcohol related criminal issues. I wonder if this might put a stop to taking 17 year old prospective recruits to bars on campus on their visits that you have to be 19 (I think that's the age) to enter.

This is where you have a better chance of convincing me Weber needed to be more in Jamar's case, as opposed to making Rich sit more games. That I could see. We don't exactly know what goes on behind closed doors. But Jamar is still an idiot either way, plain and simple. I think people are jumping on Weber just to jump on him at this point because it's really easy.

Furthermore, if Smith gets something other than kicked off the basketball team forever, I'd be shocked and thoroughly disappointed. Like thedoctor said, Guenther may have already drawn this whole thing out. We'll see.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 01:53 PM)
Well, I'm far away from being 20 years-old now, but I'll answer anyway. Certainly, someone of typical college age should be held responsible for their actions. And it's pretty clear that Jamar Smith will. The culpability of Weber is in creating a program where a bunch of players and an assistant coach apparently thought covering up a DUI accident was more important than health, maybe even life, of a teammate. If that interpretation of the events is wrong, which is possible, then I don't think the AD should fire Weber. But if it is correct...well, Weber is a like the manager of a division in a company, and it's clear his division has problems. He should be held accountable for that. I don't know if he should be fired, but it has to be strongly considered.

I'm sure a lot of people are down on Weber because he can't recruit and the team is on the tournament bubble. I really don't care about that. He may not relate well to 20 year-olds, but I'm sure that's true of a majority of the coaches at Division1 basketball schools. I actually admire Weber's apparent compassion. And I doubt that a stiffer penalty for McBride would have dissuaded Smith from drinking and driving in a blizzard (although a half season suspension wouldn't have been inapproprate IMO). But the thing with the assistant coach, Frazier and Smith leaving Carlwell in the car...something needs to change, becuase that's inexcusable.

Anyone who was connected directly to this accident needs to be fired, stripped of scholarships, kicked out of school, or whatever is appropriate to their standing at the university. If Webber was invovled in this, he deserves to go as well, but if people want him fired because he is responsible for what happens in their freetime, I don't understand that. By that logic, the AD and the President of the University should be getting fired as well, because they hired Webber and admitted these kids into the school. Maybe Webber hasn't been the toughest coach on players off the court stupidities, but I don't see how that makes him responible for some people's complete lack of common sense and deceny. Most of those morals are taught way before you get to college.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 01:27 PM)
Also, in what could be the most bizarre twist, Brian is actually supporting Jamar through this situation. This certainly isn't insider info (facebook...lol) but I saw a link to a Jamar support group, clicked on it, and the 2nd wall post was from BC telling Jamar to hang strong and that he'd get through this. That is bizarre as hell to me considering what Jamar did to him, but I guess BC has a stronger and more forgiving heart than I do.

The details just get better and better....

[/b]

Unreal.

This is better than a movie, someone get Oliver Stone on the phone.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 01:41 PM)
Again, this isn't even close to being Jamar's first run-in with alcohol related criminal issues. I wonder if this might put a stop to taking 17 year old prospective recruits to bars on campus on their visits that you have to be 19 (I think that's the age) to enter.

Very Believable, I have a friend who works as a guide at the school over the summer. I went to visit one weekend and some of the guys on the team invited us out to the bars or whatever. Brian and his roomate being the ones who invited us. Now Brian being 18 at the time and getting in doesn't suprise me since he's on the team. I'm not gonna get into names of who else was at the bar(s) with us. Let's just say i'm not surprised more names haven't come out yet.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 01:59 PM)
Anyone who was connected directly to this accident needs to be fired, stripped of scholarships, kicked out of school, or whatever is appropriate to their standing at the university. If Webber was invovled in this, he deserves to go as well, but if people want him fired because he is responsible for what happens in their freetime, I don't understand that. By that logic, the AD and the President of the University should be getting fired as well, because they hired Webber and admitted these kids into the school. Maybe Webber hasn't been the toughest coach on players off the court stupidities, but I don't see how that makes him responible for some people's complete lack of common sense and deceny. Most of those morals are taught way before you get to college.

In theory, you are correct. I haven't heard anything about Weber answering Jamar's call and not calling the police. If that comes out, by all means fire him. Until then, hold the assistant coach responsible. He's not a 19 year old either. No matter what is preached by Weber, an assistant coach can make up his own mind about what do do. Fire him if you want. But quit drawing every line to Weber. Because if you want to do that, might as well draw it to everyone in the university, like ss2k5 said. The longer this goes on, the more and more blame Weber is taking, and it's becoming ridiculous. Last time I checked, he didn't drive the car, enter the car, drink that night, drive drunk, not call 911, ignore a phone call from a player, etc. A 19 year old acts like a moron and all the sudden Weber is to blame, almost more than Jamar it seems. Kick Jamar off the team, hand out whatever other punishments you feel necessary, and move on.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 01:46 PM)
2) The school has to step in, not Weber. Eventhough its his team, the reality of the situation is he has to support his players. If he starts selling them down the river, how will he get recruits in the future? If Illinois itself disciplines them, he can atleast say "Hey I stood up for them, thats all I can do".

I agree. A lot of people had a problem with his statement, I however did not. What do you want him to say right now? First of all, all the facts aren't even out yet. He should wait til he has everything sorted out, talk with RG, whoever else, and figure out where to go from there. He has no responsibility to let the college basketball world know what he plans on doing immediately.

Furthermore, he still has a responsibility to the rest of the team to finish this season. Through all this they still have a shot at making the tournament (had to win sunday, have to win tonight, etc), so he has to worry about coaching and getting the team focused. I'm sure that's been harder than we could even imagine. What's done is done with Jamar for right now. I understand why the statement was short, concise, and didn't really say anything. He didn't say anything wrong.