Sandy in, Josh out

chosk8

White Sox - Activated coach Sandy Alomar Jr. from the 15-day disabled list; designated catcher Josh Paul for assignment.

Too bad for Josh, I thought he was playing pretty well. Maybe Sandy's bat will have a little something in it though.

Agreed, I'd like to see Olivo get the majority of the work. Do you think Sandy can help Buehrle at all? I know he's had good starts with not a whole lot of run support. Also, Mark's guy was Nardi and I wonder if Coop has messed with Mark's approach. I think the change of sides of the rubber was his own idea rather than Coop's. Any thoughts?

It is too bad, now that he finally was hitting and playing some D, he is out. 

I guess that is why they picked up this Rivera kid.

Josh had barely played. Yes he played well on Saturday against the Cubs, but he has only had 13 AB's for the month of June. Only 2 hits since June 12th. Josh was merely backup and Riviera will serve as the same.

I look at Sandy Alomar as more of a coach now than anything else. I don't know if he will produce with the bat, but he can handle pitchers and will be a good infleunce. I always liked Josh Paul and as hard as it is to find good catchers we should hang on to Josh. I think Sanders should have gone down where he can get some work in instead of being a mop up guy at the BL level.

I look at Sandy Alomar as more of a coach now than anything else. I don't know if he will produce with the bat, but he can handle pitchers and will be a good infleunce. I always liked Josh Paul and as hard as it is to find good catchers we should hang on to Josh. I think Sanders should have gone down where he can get some work in instead of being a mop up guy at the BL level.

The Sox only have 11 pitchers, so Sanders couldn't go down unless Wunsch was ready to come off the DL too. No need to keep three catchers when you are trying to allow one of them to play 80-90% of the time. Losing Josh Paul is not a big deal. Veteran catchers in AAA are a dime a dozen and the White Sox have Riviera now. Obviously he was insurance.

I would expect Josh to opt for free agency, rather than accept assignment to Charlotte, if he is not claimed on waivers. He would be better off signing a minor league deal with another team and reporting to AAA there than go to Charlotte, where he likely won't even play everyday because of Riviera.

I'm sorry if we lose JP although what Rex says makes sense. One can never fault Josh on hustle. But Olvio is our future.

Sandy is a coach in the making, family tradition. I am glad we are keeping him. I just wish we didn't have to lose JP but sometimes life does not present a happy option.

Olivo should be catching 5 games a week if he can handle it. With each passing day i love this kid more and more.

I'll give Sandy 3 weeks til he's hurt again

Actually I have noticed when Sandy went on the DL and Miguel started catching every day that his numbers dropped. Maybe he still needs to split time 50-50 while learning from Sandy. This in no way changes my view that Miguel is going to be a top 5 catcher in the AL.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Well, we are now down to 39 on our 40 man roster.  If we want to bring up Miles or Gload, it's doable.

well this doesnt come as a surprise to anyone does it??? we knew that sandy wouldnt spend his days down in trip a forever........adios josh... it was nice knowing ya ... time for him to move on....olivo is here to stay.......i also like jims idea of brining up miles... may as well see what he can add to the team .. its not like it would hurt any........

Olivo should be catching 5 games a week if he can handle it. With each passing day i love this kid more and more.

Actually I have noticed when Sandy went on the DL and Miguel started catching every day that his numbers dropped. Maybe he still needs to split time 50-50 while learning from Sandy. This in no way changes my view that Miguel is going to be a top 5 catcher in the AL.

Miguel needs to play at least 70-80% of the Sox games....

I figure Miguel should hit in the .240-.250 range....anything higher is an added bonus, IMO.

I'm not meaning this to sound mean but here goes.

If Sandy is such a great clubhouse guy, then why would he let that Colon stuff go on?

Ncorgl? comment, please.

I feel sorry for Josh. Is he out of options?

Can another team pick him up?

If Sandy is such a great clubhouse guy, then why would he let that Colon stuff go on?

Ncorgl? comment, please.

Josh was designated for assignment which means he is being taken off the 40-man roster. If he clears waivers (every team could claim him) then he can either accept assignment to Charlotte or opt to become a free agent. Becoming a free agent is likely his best option since the Sox have Riviera at Charlotte and Josh wouldn't play full-time.

He would then likely sign with another team and be assigned to either AA or more likely AAA, depending on that team's needs.

Josh Paul = Matt Merullo

Sadly. He's a good guy, but he's not major league fodder.

IMHO, Alomar will finish the year with the Sox and then become a coach.

Olivo is our future - and what a kickass future he has. If only I could say the same for Borchard and Rowand. Oh well.

Guest Ncorgbl

Ncorgl? comment, please.

Josh was designated for assignment which means he is being taken off the 40-man roster. If he clears waivers (every team could claim him) then he can either accept assignment to Charlotte or opt to become a free agent. Becoming a free agent is likely his best option since the Sox have Riviera at Charlotte and Josh wouldn't play full-time.

He would then likely sign with another team and be assigned to either AA or more likely AAA, depending on that team's needs.

Josh Paul was one of my favourites, he had his opportunities, and did not cash in. He lost a close friend 9/11 and just hasn't had his head on straight since for baseball.

No waivers this time. Josh and theSox have decisions to make, but Paul will not have to go through waivers. He could go free agent, or accept assignment to Charlotte and wait for Sandy to sneeze.

Olivo is the man now. From what I've seen we have an All Star catcher next year here, and someone to build around with Crede and Borchard soon. This kid could make us say 'Pudge who?'

Alomar couldn't handle anyone in the cubhouse in Cleveland, not even his own brother, so I doubt he can do anything here.