Iguchi in the 7 spot?

fathom

Here is the link to the article discussing it. http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

The most disturbing this is that Ozzie might be considering having Erstad/Podsednik bat 1-2. Not only would that be the worst 1-2 in baseball, but this type of talk has me convinced that Erstad will be starting in CF against RHP.

Edited by fathom

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the thought process. It's always been said that Iguchi has untapped power that he doesn't get to utilize in the two hole. Still, with that being said, he's clearly one of the best hitters on the team, far superior to Podsednik and at this point Erstad as well.

If you want him to show more power and not be that prototypical two hitter who moves runners over and does all the small things, I place him in the lead off spot.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 20, 2007 -> 11:27 PM)
1st off, this could have been an article from last years Spring Training. Uribe was supposed to be shoe in for the 2nd spot.

2nd, Maybe I just didn't read it as closely as I should have, but I didn't see any direct quote about the move. You saw some "Gooch is a good player, he can hit all over" but nothing to the effect of "We wan't Iguchi to bat 7th in the order this year"

I don't read Gonzo much, but from what I have read, I really am not very found of him. I take this article with a grain of salt.

Unfortunately this isn't the only article that mentions this possiblity. The latest on Chisox.com says the same thing.

Fortunately for us, Pods probably wont be ready by opening day. And by the time Pods is finally healthy enough to misplay balls in the outfield and weakly fly out to left, Erstad will have done enough damage to his body to be on the DL for the foreseeable future.

The chances of them being in the same lineup seems remote.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 20, 2007 -> 11:16 PM)
Here is the link to the article discussing it. http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

The most disturbing this is that Ozzie might be considering having Erstad/Podsednik bat 1-2. Not only would that be the worst 1-2 in baseball, but this type of talk has me convinced that Erstad will be starting in CF against RHP.

As much as I hate the idea, it's up to Anderson not to provide Guillen with an excuse to limit AB's. Play baseball without the entire sucking part and such decisions won't be necessary.

Unless, of course, Guillen begins to play favorites; in which case may God help us.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 01:41 AM)
As much as I hate the idea, it's up to Anderson not to provide Guillen with an excuse to limit AB's. Play baseball without the entire sucking part and such decisions won't be necessary.

Unless, of course, Guillen begins to play favorites; in which case may God help us.

My concern is that the article talks as though Erstad has already been handed the starting CF job (or at least has the inside track). If he ends up with ABs because neither Sweeney nor Anderson can get the job done that's one thing but if Anderson has to win his job back from Erstad, I don't like where this is headed.

Before that comes to a head, manager Ozzie Guillen would like to try Iguchi again in the seventh spot because of his run-producing skills—but only if he can get a better on-base percentage from those at the top of the order.

I really don't see the problem with experimenting with this again in ST. Nothing is set in stone.

I would say that Gooch batting 7th would not be that big of a deal. It is not like the order matters that much after the 1st inning. What matters more is who is hitting before and after him.

The Erstad-Pods thing however would be horrible. Actually, anything with Pods in it is horrible at this point.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 12:27 AM)
2nd, Maybe I just didn't read it as closely as I should have, but I didn't see any direct quote about the move. You saw some "Gooch is a good player, he can hit all over" but nothing to the effect of "We wan't Iguchi to bat 7th in the order this year"

It is specifically mentioned in the fourth paragraph:

"Before that comes to a head, manager Ozzie Guillen would like to try Iguchi again in the seventh spot because of his run-producing skills—but only if he can get a better on-base percentage from those at the top of the order."

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 08:38 AM)
It is specifically mentioned in the fourth paragraph:

"Before that comes to a head, manager Ozzie Guillen would like to try Iguchi again in the seventh spot because of his run-producing skills—but only if he can get a better on-base percentage from those at the top of the order."

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 20, 2007 -> 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This same thing was going on last year and Gooch really struggled in the 7 hole. Ozzie knows this, so I really doubt he tries this again. I think this article is a bunch of horses*** that the writer made up in his own mind. Where else would he get it from? There has been no lineup to see this from and Ozzie has not made a comment on it.

Pods and Erstad would only work against RHP. Where both hit .280-.300 in that area. Against LHP it would be awful since both Pods and Erstad are garbage against lefties. We'll see what happens but Im ok with playing guys where they historically succeed and not playing them where they historically fail.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am definitely for that as long as the lineup behind him supports it. I think it is more of an entire lineup concept more than just a single spot.

I feel like in the second hole Iguchi has been pressured into doing "all the little things" - in the lead off spot, he'd be able to swing more freely. Probably a non-issue because it won't happen, but Iguchi is one of the better hitters on the team, you don't bat Erstad/Podsednik first and second in the order giving them far more at-bats than Iguchi will receive simply because they have speed or are better base runners. Foolish, but that's Ozzie for ya.

I hope this type of decision gets taken care of in ST and not drag on through part of the season and fail. I agree with others here that this has been tried and failed already. Iguchi is a fantastic #2 hitter and unless there's something out there we don't know about he should stay in the #2 spot. Why mess with success?

I have to agreee with whomever pointed out that these quotes make it appear that Erstad is the starting CF for 2007. I think that's probably a done deal. If Anderson has a great spring, I think he makes the team. If he has only a good or worse spring, I'm pretty certain he'll be in AAA or another uniform. I would guess that right now, Ozzie would keep Terrero over him.

In any case, when Pods is health I fully expect to see Pods and Erstad batting 1 & 2. And that will mean an OFwith two guys below a .700 OPS in it. Ugh. I know Cheat is counting on Erstad getting hurt to avoid that, but you can't count on health (or lack thereof). Plus, if Erstad does go down, I would expect Terrero to be his replacement. It's a lose-lose situation.

The most baffling thing is that Ozzie and others have been repeatedly mentioning OBP as the key at the top of the order, and then they talk about Pods/Erstad or Ozuna/Erstad.

"SIGH"

I'm actually REALLY happy about the coming of spring training and what not, and some of the trades we made I'm actually for this year, mainly the b'mac one, BUT ...

Every thread that has Pods aka "THESUCK" in it just makes me want to go find a hole and die. My stomach starts to feel empty and aching as I get flashbacks to the 2nd half of last year where pods REALLY had the suckatude working hardcore, strike looking and pulled weak ground balls over and over and over and over and over and over.... Kenny's ONE glaring GLARING mistake was this one move to not fill LF.

I actually think of all the teams in the league if they needed a 5th starter we actually are one the teams that at least have a cornucopia of options that could work out fine, so I'm actually intrigued to watch what happens there. Heager (my fav hope) floyd, gio, broad.. I mean thats not even close to the options we had the last time we had this problem.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 09:56 AM)
I feel like in the second hole Iguchi has been pressured into doing "all the little things" - in the lead off spot, he'd be able to swing more freely. Probably a non-issue because it won't happen, but Iguchi is one of the better hitters on the team, you don't bat Erstad/Podsednik first and second in the order giving them far more at-bats than Iguchi will receive simply because they have speed or are better base runners. Foolish, but that's Ozzie for ya.

I think that is why he has to bat in the 2 hole. He appears to be the only guy on the team who can perform "all the little things"