Iguchi in the 7 spot?

fathom

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 09:39 AM)
Pods is not a no-tool player. He was injured last year. Ever try to run with a pulled muscle or a sports hernia? Ya ain't gonna be good. He gutted it out and should be commended for it. He also should have been benched, if there was a good replacement, which there wasn't.

So, let him heal and let's see what kind of ballplayer he is this year.

Pods has been injured since second half 2005. That's long enough for my liking to say that he's lost his speed, and is thus a no-tool player. And when he was at his best, he was a 1.5 tool player. That's barely acceptable.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 02:20 PM)
Ya know, I like Mackowack...but he just didn't do it for me in a Sox uniform, even considering where he's from. I felt more comfortable with an in jured Pods out there than I ever did with Mack. Not really sure why, either.

You must not like your LF's to produce at the plate or provide adequate defense.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 01:20 PM)
Pods has been injured since second half 2005. That's long enough for my liking to say that he's lost his speed, and is thus a no-tool player. And when he was at his best, he was a 1.5 tool player. That's barely acceptable.

It's acceptable when he makes the difference he did in 05. The White Sox were simply BETTER when Pods was out there in 05. Or at least they played like it.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 01:22 PM)
You must not like your LF's to produce at the plate or provide adequate defense.

Yea, that must be it.

So how did we do last year with this awesome plate production and adequate defense of Mackowack platooning?

Oh, thats right...3rd place.

The year before, with Pods...how'd we do? :P

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 02:23 PM)
It's acceptable when he makes the difference he did in 05. The White Sox were simply BETTER when Pods was out there in 05. Or at least they played like it.

Yea, that must be it.

So how did we do last year with this awesome plate production and adequate defense of Mackowack platooning?

Oh, thats right...3rd place.

The year before, with Pods...how'd we do? :P

Mackowiak actually produced well offensively last year. Unfortunately, he was placed in CF, a position he's not very good at. He is miles ahead of Pods defensively in LF, though.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 01:23 PM)
You are correct.

However, what makes you think Podsednik can ever get back to that level again?

But to answer your question for real...I think Pods can return to that level because he's done it before. He had a career rookie campaign with the Brewers and fell off harshly the year after. When we originally signed him, he rebounded huge for the 05 Sox. Pods has it in him, we've all seen it...and he's also has shown the ability to bounce back.

He helped bring us a World Series title. I think the least we can do is give him a chance to proove the naysayers wrong before pulling the plug.

I think he's earned that.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 11:31 AM)
But to answer your question for real...I think Pods can return to that level because he's done it before. He had a career rookie campaign with the Brewers and fell off harshly the year after. When we originally signed him, he rebounded huge for the 05 Sox. Pods has it in him, we've all seen it...and he's also has shown the ability to bounce back.

He helped bring us a World Series title. I think the least we can do is give him a chance to proove the naysayers wrong before pulling the plug.

I think he's earned that.

I'm willing to give him 1 last chance...but all things considered, this must be his last chance. He has shown the ability to bounce back from a bad season...but not necessarily the ability to overcome gradually increasing numbers of injuries with age. Given the other options on the table last offseason, Pods at $2.9 mil this season is not the worst idea in history. But if Podsednik continues to struggle this season, and can not give us the kind of play we saw in the first half of 05, then it is time to take the money we're saving by letting Buehrle and Dye go and make a full scale run at Ichiro.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 01:24 PM)
What makes you think he can't?

Over the course of his career Podsednik has been bad more often than he has been good. This includes a 1.5 year run of suck that he is currently on and he's coming off a devastating injury for a speed guy which often results in a few months of recuperating and nagging soreness afterwards. To rely on this guy again this year, to not have a single acceptable backup plan is just stupid.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 01:36 PM)
Over the course of his career Podsednik has been bad more often than he has been good. This includes a 1.5 year run of suck that he is currently on and he's coming off a devastating injury for a speed guy which often results in a few months of recuperating and nagging soreness afterwards. To rely on this guy again this year, to not have a single acceptable backup plan is just stupid.

I'll bet you a beer that Pods rebounds. :P

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 02:36 PM)

1 year of suck....He had a bad August when he was hurt. Then when healthy, and a great September and incredible October.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 01:41 PM)
1 year of suck....He had a bad August when he was hurt. Then when healthy, and a great September and incredible October.

Eh, I never said the suck had to be consecutive. He was bad about as often as he was good in '05 and was bad more often than he was good in '06.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 02:51 PM)
Eh, I never said the suck had to be consecutive. He was bad about as often as he was good in '05 and was bad more often than he was good in '06.

Eh, not really. He was mediocre in April, awful in August (injury) and good to really good the rest of his months. Doesn't really matter though. He sucked last year. Hopefully we at least get a chance to see him play injury free. I'm not sure we will though.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 20, 2007 -> 11:41 PM)
As much as I hate the idea, it's up to Anderson not to provide Guillen with an excuse to limit AB's. Play baseball without the entire sucking part and such decisions won't be necessary.

Unless, of course, Guillen begins to play favorites; in which case may God help us.

:notworthy