HD TV Question

redandwhite

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 07:17 AM)
I'd go with neither.

The best tv's on the market are made by Samsung. If you're willing to drop 13-1400, and not opposed to Wal-Mart, you can get a Samsung 42inch plasma from SamsClub. We just bought the 27inch LCD for the bedroom for $700. Excellent picture quality, very bright, and it has two hdmi inputs. The plasma would be even better.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate....&pCatg=6150

If you can spend $1800 they have a 50in plasma too.

Obviously this is different from your Best Buy hookup, but ask about their Samsungs. Also remember that they jack up all the settings in the store to make them look as bright as possible (while keeping all of the lights off in the TV area). If you're looking at rear-projection they have great picture quality but you need a dark room and you need seating that's directly in front of the tv. If you trust your Best Buy buddy though i'm sure he's told you all of this.

Completely agree. My Samsung is absolutely amazing and my guess is you can get your buddy at Best Buy to get you a discount on that. If you are going to drop the money you might as well drop it on a real nice tv that will last a long long time.

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 05:30 PM)
I recently bought a 56" Samsung DLP and I love the thing. While that style of HDTV may not be for everyone, I strongly recommend purchasing from amazon.com. I couldn't have been happier with my experience. Their price beat Best Buy's by $330, plus free shipping with 'white glove' delivery and no sales tax. I had the thing in my living room 1 week after placing the order just in time for the Superbowl, and they even disposed of the box and all the packaging for me. Don't hesitate to buy from them just because it's a big ticket item from something other than a brick-and-mortar store.

I bought that tv for my mom (my gift of saying thanks for the free rent I get) and a 50 inch one for myself and couldn't be happier. Through amazon.com and the price was a total steal.

I too had an outstanding experience with amazon.com. And damn does the tv look great on the Xbox 360 as well as the high def channels and on the HDMI dvd player.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 10:31 AM)
Umm if by listening to the wrong people you mean, people who work with TV's everyday or seeing what happens to them myself from when a friend buys one......On my friends plasma the ESPN logo is burned in at the bottom right and images of video games he plays have burns ins on the screen too. The only game that I know of that will cause absolutely no burn in unless you play for an insane amount of time is Gears of War. Thats because in that game no image stays on the screen for long periods of time.

Anyways his tv got a lot of burn in from games and he played a lot but he never left the tv on when he wasnt there or fell asleep with it on. They have made improvements from when they first came out but.... burn in still happens and even though it fades some if you look for it you can still see it on the screen.

I guess experiences vary. I have two plasmas and play PlayStation a lot. No problems from burn in on mine.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 04:19 PM)
Check out www.avsforum.com for more than you'd ever want to know about hi-fi audio and video.

I'm a big fan of AVS. I follow a local thread daily and periodically check their HD Programming threads. Aside from threads on specific models on A/V, you can find any info you need on antennas and local reception.

I'd rank tv's as the following:

Plasma > DLP > LCD

DLP keeps catching up though. With the 3 mirror technology, rainbow won't be a problem as we progress(check out the new DLP's) and they have the best of Plasma and LCD built in it.

Right now though, I absolutely love my plasma. I play video games up the wazoo on it. 3 of my 4 daily hours on my tv is from video games with movies and sports mixed in periodically. Burn-in's never been a problem for me. I usually have the shifting pixels setting on.