What, no 'Jericho' thread?

Flash Tizzle

If many of you were like me, you've heard of 'Jericho' but never bothered to actually view it. Continually hearing CBS proclaim its own show as "the new hit series" during promotional spots in a football game isn't very convincing. Honestly, I thought the entire series would be littered with religious references; another factor which drew me away.

OnDemand has now convinced me otherwise. This show is tremendous. If none of you are familar with the premise, it's similar to "The Stand"--without the supernatural elements or a plague. The pilot episode begins with a nuclear explosion over Denver visible to the residents of Jericho, Kansas. From this event, and subsequent information released later (I'm not going to ruin it), the town bands together for survival. As one may expect, numerous events occur which test the residents and provide interesting post-apocalypic drama.

I know I sound like I'm slurping the show, but I feel it's incredibly underrated. Comparing the first 11 episodes (which are free OnDemand, btw) to the first 11/12 of Lost, Jericho kicks the crap out of it. One noticeable preference for Jericho is the development of various characters. I genuinely care more about them and their situation than a large majority of stranded Lost cast-members.

Hopefully this seasons begins strong. :cheers

I've been a big Jericho fan from the beginning. I am looking forward to learning more about Jake and Hawkins. Jake still has an air of mystery about him and the period he disappeared from Jericho, returning just before the bombs went off.

Hawkins, also is very intriguing. Although he has show ID as being an FBI agent, there is still more to him. His icy relationship with his wife and kids is interesting too.

I think the show is going to get started quickly tonight, after such a long layoff. I find it somewhat strange that "season two" is starting tonight, yet we are still in the same year as "season one". CBS just decided to force a 2-3 month break on us. The recap show last week was great because it caught you up on what has gone on, yet gave you other tidbits that were not in the original episodes.

I am planning on watching Jericho tonight while I DVR Idol. I figure fast-forwarding through the commercials, I should be able to get through Idol by 9:30 at the latest.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 10:38 PM)
They threw some serious info at us tonight. I liked how they went back to before the bombs went off. They still left enough mystery to make you want more, but tonight they gave me exactly what I wanted... more background on Jake and Hawkins.

What I love about this show thus far is the sheer number of subplots and characters. You figure they can realistically put out 6-7 good seasons before the material runs dry.

Far as the episode, I agree, they answered some pressing questions. Considering how much energy Jake spent into ignoring his past, and Hawkins creating his own for himself and his family, background information was necessary. Definitely looking forward to next Wednesday.

It became more and more obvious through the laptop messages Hawkins was involved. We just never knew the extent, until tonight. I also love how all the terrorists were of a different nationality. CBS made sure not to discriminate.

What I'd like to see addressed, only because I'm impatient, is: why Hawkins was involved with the plot, if any foreign countries were behind it, how does China figure into the equation, which country were the nuclear missles directed towards, and whether there will be additional terrorist attacks.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I got hooked on Jericho by watching the entire series 1 on cbs.com. Very quality show, new episode tonight that I really hope I can remember to wake up for.

Was nice to see that perhaps...perhaps Hawkins DOES have a self-conscious, and that Jake isn't exactly squeaky clean himself.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 20, 2007 -> 11:24 PM)
If many of you were like me, you've heard of 'Jericho' but never bothered to actually view it. Continually hearing CBS proclaim its own show as "the new hit series" during promotional spots in a football game isn't very convincing. Honestly, I thought the entire series would be littered with religious references; another factor which drew me away.

OnDemand has now convinced me otherwise. This show is tremendous. If none of you are familar with the premise, it's similar to "The Stand"--without the supernatural elements or a plague. The pilot episode begins with a nuclear explosion over Denver visible to the residents of Jericho, Kansas. From this event, and subsequent information released later (I'm not going to ruin it), the town bands together for survival. As one may expect, numerous events occur which test the residents and provide interesting post-apocalypic drama.

I know I sound like I'm slurping the show, but I feel it's incredibly underrated. Comparing the first 11 episodes (which are free OnDemand, btw) to the first 11/12 of Lost, Jericho kicks the crap out of it. One noticeable preference for Jericho is the development of various characters. I genuinely care more about them and their situation than a large majority of stranded Lost cast-members.

Hopefully this seasons begins strong. :cheers

Rex, I and a few others had a thread on jericho a while back. Its definitely one of the hidden shows on television and I have stayed into it despite a longer layoff than Lost had. That said there is still half a season left and I'm sure there will be more great stuff.

I didn't see an episode till about the 8th one and after seeing that I downloaded the old episodes and caught up and just found myself hooked. Lost....Heroes....Jericho are three of the better shows on tv with Jericho and Heroes having the momentum (albeit Jericho doesn't have the ratings).

Not a fan of yesterday's episode. Probably the worst they've shown thus far. One part, in particular, stood out.

I literally yelled at my TV when they resisted paying for a vital generator because mattresses were lined in the back next to handcuffs. WHO CARES? The ignorance of the father to suggest, "we're not supporting that." It was just too cheesy for me to take.

I also hope the part where the guy mentions lights directing him to a refugee camp has has nothing to do with the supernatural. That is, unless the 'supernatural' has to do with flesh eating zombies. That'd be an interesting twist to Jericho.

Haha, I really enjoyed the episode. They have done such an outstanding job developing the characters and it was just cool seeing the updates as to what is going on in the rest of the world.

I'm also real interested in what goes on with Hawkins because right now I'm totally miffed on whether he was on the inside trying to prevent the bombing or if he is flat out a bad guy that somehow had a change of heart right at the end.

Jericho >>> Lost

Afterall, Lost hasn't been near as good since the break (i'd think they would have started the 2nd half of there series with some power episodes to get people resunk but it just hasn't happened).

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 01:02 AM)
Not a fan of yesterday's episode. Probably the worst they've shown thus far. One part, in particular, stood out.

I literally yelled at my TV when they resisted paying for a vital generator because mattresses were lined in the back next to handcuffs. WHO CARES? The ignorance of the father to suggest, "we're not supporting that." It was just too cheesy for me to take.

I also hope the part where the guy mentions lights directing him to a refugee camp has has nothing to do with the supernatural. That is, unless the 'supernatural' has to do with flesh eating zombies. That'd be an interesting twist to Jericho.

I thought the refusal to make the deal made sense. If you recall, they basically made an open promise to provide salt in the future as part of the deal. When they saw hancuffs and blood all over a mattress, they bailed. If it were a one-time deal, I could see your reasoning. But considering it was based on vague future promises, I think they thought they were getting into bed (no pun intended) with the wrong people. It fits the character of the former Mayor.

I thought the episode opened up a lot of possibilites for future plot lines with the information about what is going on in the outside world and with the insuination that Hawkins "girlfriend" is about to stab him in the back.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 11:32 PM)
I thought the refusal to make the deal made sense. If you recall, they basically made an open promise to provide salt in the future as part of the deal. When they saw hancuffs and blood all over a mattress, they bailed. If it were a one-time deal, I could see your reasoning. But considering it was based on vague future promises, I think they thought they were getting into bed (no pun intended) with the wrong people. It fits the character of the former Mayor.

I thought the episode opened up a lot of possibilites for future plot lines with the information about what is going on in the outside world and with the insuination that Hawkins "girlfriend" is about to stab him in the back.

I suppose it's useless to question the contents of a television show, but it's something which bugged me because of what the generator meant. If I were responsible for finding the one piece of equipment which may help my town through winter, what some odd individual does with mattresses and handcuffs is none of my business. There's no telling what they were used for -- perhaps theives or prisoners were kept there. No worse than hanging someone in a public square.

Although, for the sake of drama, having the elementary school teacher traveling to a factory for the generator is definitely more interesting. :headbang

I did enjoy how the news bulletins from across America were posted in the trading post. And how anarchy has developed within the government. I wish I had recorded the episode so I could easily view some of the messages. I believe Chicago had, "violence continues." One, perhaps New York, mentioned how the "power grid was still down."

Hawkins is definitely being led into a trap. I'm sure he knows it as well. While I initially thought more of devotion to the terrorist acts, after watching last week's episode he obviously balked at the idea of detonating a bomb in Columbus. The former girlfriend was likely sent to retrieve it. Should be interesting to see what happens between this, and whatever crazy crap Jake and company are up to.

Edited by Flash Tizzle