Dye: "It's about...finishing my career here."

ExpatNYC

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 10:59 AM)
Its tough to expect last years numbers every season out of JD, but I really hope that he has another outstanding season so we are not left with much of an option but to keep him aboard. Perhaps KW best free agent signing ever?

It really was a great signing. He has always been a class act and his numbers the last couple years have been pretty sick. I liked him alot when he was coming up in the Braves organization, always thought he would be a stud, glad it happened with the white sox.

Edited by bad at best

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 10:56 AM)
Funny thing is that I actually believe Dye, whereas I wouldn't believe basically any other professional baseball players.

Jermaine Dye has 100% credibility in my eyes. His keeping his word to us, despite the late, bigger offers, is all of the proof I need.

I agree. A lot of baseball players try to act 'classy' when it comes to their team, but in the end it's about the money. Dye has proven once before that he's a man of his word and he'd take a little less money for what he wants or promised. I believe he'd sign a fair contract today if presented to him.

I, for one, have no issues with players seeking money, it's part of the business, but staying loyal and playing in a park where you are comfortable and know you can continue putting up good numbers is just smarter than taking the extra 2M dollars and jumping blind into the unknown. I've seen a lot of players do this and end up tanking because they were removed from the very environment that contributed to their success. See people like Carl Pavano. Everyone in the universe knew his numbers were a product of the stadium in which he pitched, and although he jumped at the money the Yankees offered, he also tanked his career and in the long run, may have ended up costing himself quite a bit for the shorter term gain.

I'd love to see Dye stay here, he's everything Frank Thomas acted like he was.

Add to that, the word 'class' is too easily tossed around in sports.

Edited by Y2HH

No new contract, no problem for Dye

February 22, 2007

BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter

TUCSON, Ariz. -- In the ''laid-back'' world of Jermaine Dye, a contract season is nothing new.

Been there, done that.

That was the White Sox outfielder's attitude Wednesday. Dye is not the least bit rattled by playing the year out on the South Side and then talking deal.

He did admit that he tried to get a contract extension done this offseason but was told by general manager Ken Williams that he would have to wait.

''They write the checks,'' Dye said. ''They say what goes on. I'm not going to get upset about it. It's not going to affect my play.

''I'm just going out and worrying about what I can do to help this team win this year. At the end of this season, we will look at whatever possibilities there are out there. I've already expressed to them that my first choice is to be here, and I wanted to get something done this offseason. But they have other things they wanted to try to get done before that.''

Dye stressed that he won't be looking to break the bank, either. He took less money than other teams were offering to join the Sox before the 2005 season, and he will do so again if he feels a championship is still in sight.

''I just want to be fair, whatever market value is,'' he said. ''Of course, to be here, I probably have to take less money. I've done it before already. For me, it's not about the money. It's about winning and going out and having fun and, hopefully, finishing my career here.''

But the Sox know Dye could command a huge payday, especially if he has another season like he did in 2006, when he hit .315 with a career-high 44 home runs and 120 RBI.

While some would use looming free agency as motivation, Dye said repeating those numbers would help the team return to the postseason.

''You guys know me -- I'm laid-back,'' Dye said. ''If you are a younger player, I'm sure it would be tougher. But I've been around the game long enough to know that I've played through a lot of stuff.

''I've played through injuries, family issues with my dad or whatever, and I've been through stuff that something like this won't bother me. I've already made enough money to take care of my family.''

JUAN GONE: With position players scheduled to report to camp this morning, the Sox said they expect shortstop Juan Uribe to be in town.

Just not at the first workout.

Battling legal problems in the Dominican Republic stemming from an October shooting, Uribe won't be able to get a flight out until today and is expected to work out with the team Friday.

''We don't know what happened,'' manager Ozzie Guillen said of Uribe's problems. ''The question will be in the air, the question has to be answered. The sooner he does, the better for him, for us. I don't want all of a sudden to turn this clubhouse into the zoo about one thing we aren't supposed to deal with.''

Guillen reiterated Uribe had better be in shape when he does get in.

''If not, he's going to have a tough time in spring training because we'll make sure he will be before we leave,'' Guillen said.

[email protected]

Edited by RockRaines

''I've played through injuries, family issues with my dad or whatever, and I've been through stuff that something like this won't bother me. I've already made enough money to take care of my family.''

Finally, a player that is honest! I agree, he is classy and should end his career here.

I'd be willing to sign Jermaine to a deal right now, no matter how big of a risk it is. At this point the Sox can afford to give out a large contract with some risk behind it in order to keep a great guy, player and teammate around for the rest of his career.

3 years, $40M guaranteed. $11M per with a 4th year team option worth $12M or a $4M buyout +$3M signing bonus.

Very similar to what the Padres gave Brian Giles and I think it works for both sides.

JD is awesome! It has to be KW's biggest signing IMO. After all of that Magglio wierdness.. JD came in here right away and did his job. I say sign him to a 4 year deal at 10-11/year w/ major incentives. Once Thome retires in a couple years- Dye can possibly replace him as the DH. Out of the 3 major free agents (Dye, Buerhle, and Iguchi) the guy I expect to return for sure is indeed Dye. Iguchi and Buerhle are big question marks.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 12:36 PM)
My only problem with Dye is that he's clearly losing a step out in RF.

BUT, all of our problems would be solved if, say, we move him to LF in 2008 and sign a leadoff type hitter for RF.

I wonder who that could be, though...

Sweeney.

I don't know why anybody wouldn't believe Dye, seeing as he turned down a better offer from Arizona to come here in the first place.

However, he is aging, we have OF depth in our system, and even a "fair deal" for a guy that puts up 30 plus homers every year and plays pretty good defense is a ton. I hope I'm wrong, but I think he's out after this year.