Dye: "It's about...finishing my career here."

ExpatNYC

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 12:36 PM)
My only problem with Dye is that he's clearly losing a step out in RF.

BUT, all of our problems would be solved if, say, we move him to LF in 2008 and sign a leadoff type hitter for RF.

I wonder who that could be, though...

It's easy as hell. He plays RF, even with declining range, until 2010, at which point Thome retires and Dye moves into the DH role.

(unless of course Ichiro is brought in, then you move Dye to LF)

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 06:51 PM)
I've got a better idea.

ichiro.gif

I was thinking the same thing when I heard Ichiru might test the free agent waters after the 2007 season. I say move Dye out in LF and put Ichiru out in RF. So re-sign Dye, sign Ichiru, re-sign Gooch and KW would officially be tagged as the best GM of ALL-TIME in my world. Hahaha but that will never happen unfortanatley. Look for a New York team or a team desperate for an impact player to dish out the big bucks for him. Kind of like how the Orioles did for Tejada a few years back.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 01:55 PM)
I don't know why anybody wouldn't believe Dye, seeing as he turned down a better offer from Arizona to come here in the first place.

However, he is aging, we have OF depth in our system, and even a "fair deal" for a guy that puts up 30 plus homers every year and plays pretty good defense is a ton. I hope I'm wrong, but I think he's out after this year.

Not that it matters, but I believe it was Texas that gave him the better offer.

QUOTE(gar102 @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 11:47 AM)
''I've played through injuries, family issues with my dad or whatever, and I've been through stuff that something like this won't bother me. I've already made enough money to take care of my family.''

Finally, a player that is honest! I agree, he is classy and should end his career here.

Dear Latrell Spreewell...

What type of contract would you give Jermaine Dye. A 3 year deal? A 4 year deal?

And what do you think is fair money wise, when he talks about market value?

And yes I would go all out to sign Ichiro if he became a Free Agent, and when you think about it, how many big market teams will be after him?

Yankees - Already have Damon as their leadoff man.

Mets - Already have Reyes as their leadoff man.

Red Sox - Probably would be the main competition, especially if Coco Crisp struggles again.

Dodgers - Have Pierre and Furcal.

Giants - A team I'd be wary of, especially with dumping Bonds's contract if he retires after 07.

Angels - Just signed Matthews Jr. to a big contract, so probably not.

Rangers - Probably would chase him as well I'd imagine.

So we'd be in with a decent shot I'd say.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 01:35 PM)
Except the reason Ichiro would leave the M's is to play for a winner.

There was a recent article where he said that even if the M's offered him a billion dollar contract, he'd have to think it over. I'm pretty sure he wants to win.

I'd wouldn't give Dye more than 3 years with a mutual option for a 4th. I'd do something around $10-11M per year. I think KW is waiting because right now the market would probably have him at least at $14M per year, and he probably wants to see if he can produce similar numbers to last year. Hopefully there is a slight market correction next year to bring his value down to the $12M per year range and from there, maybe he'd give us a $1-2M per year discount to stay here.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 02:46 PM)
There was a recent article where he said that even if the M's offered him a billion dollar contract, he'd have to think it over. I'm pretty sure he wants to win.

Linkity.

"In Ichiro's mind, the team's performance is really measured by his first year," Attanasio said, referring to the 2001 season when the Mariners set the American League record with 116 wins. "He saw such tremendous enthusiasm in the city that year.

"He saw great joy in the clubhouse and enjoyed it. He has not seen it since. And he wants that.

"It's not all about money. We had a conversation Sunday night and I asked him if, theoretically, the Mariners offered him a billion-dollar contract, would he take it.

"He said he'd have to think about it."

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 04:32 PM)
What type of contract would you give Jermaine Dye. A 3 year deal? A 4 year deal?

And yes I would go all out to sign Ichiro if he became a Free Agent, and when you think about it, how many big market teams will be after him?

Red Sox - Probably would be the main competition, especially if Coco Crisp struggles again.

Giants - A team I'd be wary of, especially with dumping Bonds's contract if he retires after 07.

I think you are right on about the Giants. With the large Japanese population there and all. I would think the White Sox would be two or three on the list, but you forgot one place...the North Side. Jacque Jones is all but gone and they could use Ichiro as their leadoff and bump Soriano down to a run-producing spot. I don't knwo if they will spend the money again next off-season, but ya never know.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 07:19 PM)
Good call on the Cubs. Very possible. I think alot would depend on what happens this season.

I would be curious to find out what impact having Iguchi on the team would have. Would both of them embrace each other, or would there be tension? Could bringing in Ichiro help Gooch sign, or vise versa. Could resigning Iguchi help bring in Ichiro?

It would be a blast to a have a 1-2 of Suzuki-Iguchi for a few years.

They could be called:

Suzuchi or Iguzuki

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 02:32 PM)

Don't forget...in the past few years, we've seen a totally new dynamic appearing in baseball - teams which shouldn't have the money to spend on guys showing up and figuring out that they do. Think Royals, Meche as your prime example; there's no way on this good earth that the Royals should have come up with or spent that money in that way, but none of that means they won't.

From that list, I'd say the Red Sox Giants, Angels, Mets and Rangers could be the key guys, not because they need a leadoff man, but because they'll be in need of an OF quite soon or now. The Mets will need a LF if they still dont' trust Milledge, the Red Sox/Crisp Issue, the Angels will probably be unhappy with Matthews IMO and even on top of that still need someone for LF to replace Anderson, and as you point out, the Rangers and Giants.

But...on top of that, there's always the likelihood of a sleeper getting in on the action. Baltimore could certainly use some help, the Cubs may be in the market again for an OF next year, the Cardinals and Astros both could get into the game, the Padres would be a good fit with their expansive OF and loss of Dave Roberts, hell, think about someone like Detroit or Cleveland; if they found the money, both of them could use a speedy leadoff hitter.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 10:35 PM)
So let me get this straight, he wants to be here, says he would sign here for less, but our GM wants him to go through free agency because he owes it to his family. Wow. Either KW is drunk or he just doesn't want to sign Dye for 3 or 4 years no matter what the cost.

I think you're right, and Williams is probably sober. I think KW has Sweeney penciled in for RF in 2008, and that he's already made the decision to let Dye go. FWIW, if Dye is willing to take a slightly below-market contract for 3 years plus an option, I'd sign him. The key would be a no-trade clause. A full no-trade would be a dealbreaker to me.

Anyway, if the Sox do let Dye/Buehrle/Iguchi go and then trade Crede, in 2008 they'll have a payroll below what the Royals have in 2007 (Sox 2008 would be roughly 50 million). They'd be ripped apart by fans and media if that happened -- I'm wondering who they're planning to spend money on.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 11:26 PM)
I think you're right, and Williams is probably sober. I think KW has Sweeney penciled in for RF in 2008, and that he's already made the decision to let Dye go. FWIW, if Dye is willing to take a slightly below-market contract for 3 years plus an option, I'd sign him. The key would be a no-trade clause. A full no-trade would be a dealbreaker to me.

Anyway, if the Sox do let Dye/Buehrle/Iguchi go and then trade Crede, in 2008 they'll have a payroll below what the Royals have in 2007 (Sox 2008 would be roughly 50 million). They'd be ripped apart by fans and media if that happened -- I'm wondering who they're planning to spend money on.

Dye and/or Buehrle, along with Iguchi would be a good start. Beyond that, it depends entirely upon how successful the team is this year. If they are a 4th place team, bad things happen. If they are a playoff team, great things happen. It's really that simple.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 07:21 PM)
But...on top of that, there's always the likelihood of a sleeper getting in on the action. Baltimore could certainly use some help, the Cubs may be in the market again for an OF next year, the Cardinals and Astros both could get into the game, the Padres would be a good fit with their expansive OF and loss of Dave Roberts, hell, think about someone like Detroit or Cleveland; if they found the money, both of them could use a speedy leadoff hitter.

The indians have way to many ?s to be shelling out $ for a leadoff hitter. CC needs to get locked up same with hafner, and their OF is already overcrowded and they have Crowe on the up and coming. with the sox having a fairly cheap pitching staff from 08 onward i could him coming to the southside.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 11:26 PM)

$50M? Um no. With player raises and backloaded contracts if Crede, Dye, Iguchi and Buehrle all leave the team after the '07 season the payroll would still be around $80M-$85M that's assuming they're replaced with players making the league minimum and the team brings in no other big money players.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 10:52 AM)
$50M? Um no. With player raises and backloaded contracts if Crede, Dye, Iguchi and Buehrle all leave the team after the '07 season the payroll would still be around $80M-$85M that's assuming they're replaced with players making the league minimum and the team brings in no other big money players.

THE TRUTH HAS NO PLACE HERE! OMG WE WILL BE THE NEXT MARLINS EXCEPT WITH s***TY ROOKIES!?!?!