Big Year for Vazquez?

soxfan3530

It's funny that so many people are banking on a big year from Buehrle because he's playing for a contract next year and many of these same people say Uribe should have extra motivation to succeed next season because he's playing for a contract in '08 (though the Sox do hold an option) but you don't hear anyone use the contract year logic when it comes to Javy. He's arbitration eligible next season but if he does perform well enough in '07 he could be looking at a long term deal either from the Sox or a trade partner.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 01:40 PM)
It's funny that so many people are banking on a big year from Buehrle because he's playing for a contract next year and many of these same people say Uribe should have extra motivation to succeed next season because he's playing for a contract in '08 (though the Sox do hold an option) but you don't hear anyone use the contract year logic when it comes to Javy. He's arbitration eligible next season but if he does perform well enough in '07 he could be looking at a long term deal either from the Sox or a trade partner.

that is an excellent point. i think this a HUGE year for javy and for some reason i think he is going to deliver. call it a hunch (or just call me crazy)

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)
Seems like with Vaz it's very love or hate. I liked what Javy brought to the table last season, and excited to see how he does in his 2nd year with us.

Once he moved over to the side of the mound, he improved a ton. I look forward to a whole season of him leading with that cutting fastball.

FWIW, Masset apparently has the same cutting action on his fastball as well.

So, the way I figure it...if things work out as well as humanly possible, in 2008, the White Sox will have Broadway, Floyd, Haeger, and Danks available as pitchers who have come up from the minors and are ready to play in the big leagues somewhere. Sisco and Phillips may also fit somewhere on those lists. 1 of those 4 will be used this year barring injuries, so that means that there will be at least 3 more ready next season.

Mark Buehrle will probably be gone. This means we will have need for 2 of the 4 at the start of 2008. However, that still leaves the White Sox with an awful lot of strength at starting pitcher if they choose to deal another guy before he hits Free Agency after 2008...and a great year from Vazquez would certainly increase that value.

Watching Vazquez last year and it seemed that for five innings he was probably one of the most dominant pitchers in the league, but after the 5th he would start to lose it. He did have some awesome games though. The man has the talent to be a big winner so maybe this is the year. I don't look for much in the way of attempts to resign our FA eligible players though. I will really be surprised-but in a good way- if KW does sign them to new contracts.

Vazquez will never be the dominant guy that our coaching staff thinks he can become. He's been around for a while and every team that he pitches for thinks that he'll come around. Ultimately they get fed up with his inability to reach his potential and ship him to the next sucker willing to try and fix him.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 08:36 PM)
Vazquez will never be the dominant guy that our coaching staff thinks he can become. He's been around for a while and every team that he pitches for thinks that he'll come around. Ultimately they get fed up with his inability to reach his potential and ship him to the next sucker willing to try and fix him.

whats gonna happen to me tomorrow Nostradamus.... I got drunk for 300 of the last 365 days...

QUOTE(soxfan3530 @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 01:43 PM)
that is an excellent point. i think this a HUGE year for javy and for some reason i think he is going to deliver. call it a hunch (or just call me crazy)

im not calling you crazy at all. the numbers from last year tell me that his ERA was higher than what it should have been and hopefully he can continue to improve....however so many people on here want to just tell you that he is a headcase and cant pitch under pressure

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 02:36 PM)

Don't need dominant. Garland isn't dominant and he has back-to-back 18 win seasons. Innings eaters are what we need. And if Vaz can get through the order for the third time without screwing the pooch, he will be a success and may even be extended.

I'm not going to say Buehrle is gone for sure yet until I see (1) how good of a year he has and (2) how good of a year Danks has at AAA.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE(bulokis @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 04:03 PM)
I am disappointed that we did not trade Vazquez this off-season. I dont know how many wins he will have but I hope he does win more than 12 games because he is getting paid a lot of money.

of which we are getting 4 million i think?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 08:08 PM)
wins are overrated, and teams have only ever held on to him for one year

He played 6 seasons for Montreal.

Also, he was traded by the Yankees for Randy Johnson, a pretty good trade - then traded for El Duque, Viz, and Chris Young. Another good trade.

QUOTE(soxfan3530 @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 01:43 PM)

You are crazy. :D

He was a dog in Montreal for Felipe Alou, Jeff Torborg and Frank Robinson. He was a dog in New York for Joe Torre. He was a dog in Arizona for Bob Melvin and he was a dog last year for Ozzie Guillen -despite the divine intervention of Don Cooper. None of these fine baseball men could turn him around. Life time 100-105, 11-12 with the White Sox at a No 1 starter salary.

He is a 12-1/2 million dollar Jason Grilli.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 06:06 PM)
You are crazy. :D

He was a dog in Montreal for Felipe Alou, Jeff Torborg and Frank Robinson. He was a dog in New York for Joe Torre. He was a dog in Arizona for Bob Melvin and he was a dog last year for Ozzie Guillen -despite the divine intervention of Don Cooper. None of these fine baseball men could turn him around. Life time 100-105, 11-12 with the White Sox at a No 1 starter salary.

He is a 12-1/2 million dollar Jason Grilli.

Thanks to the work of a few teams such as Chicago N, K.C., etc., Javier Vazquez is no longer getting #1 starter salary. Maybe #3.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Feb 22, 2007 -> 07:40 PM)
He played 6 seasons for Montreal.

Also, he was traded by the Yankees for Randy Johnson, a pretty good trade - then traded for El Duque, Viz, and Chris Young. Another good trade.

I should have clarified that he from those teams that "gave up" on him, he had only ever been there a year; people were also willing as hell to give him up after this year, one year again.

Montreal didn't "give up" on him; rather they were poor and essentially had to trade him (and that trade worked pretty well for them for a little bit - Nick Johnson is fragile, but still solid, and Juan Rivera along with Maicier Izturis turned into Jose Guillen).