1,000 Active Duty Military Members

Texsox

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 09:32 AM)
I'll take...

C. Make it work where it CAN work. Pull everyone back into Kurdistan, let them set up their independent country like they want to. They are capable of it, they actually like having us there, it would solve the refugee problem in Turkey and Iran by giving them a place to come back to, its a smaller area to be concerned with, there is oil to provide income, we'd be close to the borders with Iran and Syria which can be better secured... its really the best possible solution at this point (its not PERFECT by any means, and there will be issues, but its a world better than the current scenario). Unfortunately, everyone wants to make this thing all or nothing.

If we pull everyone back isn't that leaving? Call it what you will, are their troops there? We stayed. If the troops are gone we left.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 02:11 PM)
I do see a difference in whistleblowing and policy differences. I agree that there the military could forbid public criticism from their employees.

I can't believe it makes the enemy fight harder knowing some people are against the war. I think dying might be more of an incentive.

Tex, in sports, when you can see that the other guy is tired, or losing confidence, you can always find that little bit extra to try and finish him off. why not the same in war? The terrorists are in a waiting game, and the more that they see the good guys don't want to fight, the more they can convince themselves that if they just hold on a little bit longer, the burger-eating surrender monkeys will leave.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 02:16 PM)
Tex, in sports, when you can see that the other guy is tired, or losing confidence, you can always find that little bit extra to try and finish him off. why not the same in war? The terrorists are in a waiting game, and the more that they see the good guys don't want to fight, the more they can convince themselves that if they just hold on a little bit longer, the burger-eating surrender monkeys will leave.

Because war is different in sports. When you spoke of finishing them off did you think about killing or being killed or did you think about winning a game? If he's staring across the line, is he thinking about the other team's fans or the guys he's playing against? Going into battle and thinking you may die is probably a bigger motivator than thinking that someone in Iowa, not even the person trying to kill you, is unhappy. Put another way and bringing it home, which is more important to the guy across the battlefield from Nuke, Nuke's motivation or mine? If that guy really thinks he's going to win because I would rather Nuke be back home b****ing about liberals, he's half way to overconfidence and a dirt nap.

Also, if it is that big of a motivator, wouldn't the other side just produce some propaganda films to motivate their Troops? They don't need actual CNN coverage.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 02:55 PM)
Also, if it is that big of a motivator, wouldn't the other side just produce some propaganda films to motivate their Troops? They don't need actual CNN coverage.

Why go to thru the production hassles when you have ready-made product.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 04:17 PM)
Why go to thru the production hassles when you have ready-made product.

Because you can tailor it towards your exact message, much like Republicans want to hear from our media.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 06:34 AM)

I wonder if one of these is Nuke!?

Why is this a story ?

Did anyone really think that all US Soldiers believe in the mission, especially the longer we are there ?

Of course not.

I hope that 60 minutes will have a story next week about 1,000 soldiers there who believe in the mission. I'll probably be waiting a long time for that story though.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 11:31 PM)
Why is this a story ?

Did anyone really think that all US Soldiers believe in the mission, especially the longer we are there ?

Of course not.

I hope that 60 minutes will have a story next week about 1,000 soldiers there who believe in the mission. I'll probably be waiting a long time for that story though.

News is when things go wrong. A twelve car pile up on the Edens is more newsworthy than the hundred thousand cars that arrived successfully. Tonight on the CBS News, this man drove home without incident!

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 11:35 PM)
News is when things go wrong. A twelve car pile up on the Edens is more newsworthy than the hundred thousand cars that arrived successfully. Tonight on the CBS News, this man drove home without incident!

This isn't news either. Check out a poll A large majority of people are against the war. Why should the army be any different ?

QUOTE(spiderman @ Feb 25, 2007 -> 07:44 PM)
This isn't news either. Check out a poll A large majority of people are against the war. Why should the army be any different ?

Because we have rarely, if ever, had active duty soldiers speaking out. Recently enacted whistleblower protections are beiing used by those soldiers.

FWIW, this is not why that law was enacted, and I am uncomfortable with our military members speaking out in public. I do agree with Nuke, when you enlist, you give up a number of rights.