Would KW sign Zambrano?

harfman77

If Zambrano walks from the Cubs, he is looking for a contract around 5 years at $90 million. To me this guy is a top ten pitcher in the game. I know KW doesnt like to give out long term deals to pitchers, but this is a guy I would make an exception. I guess it probably depends on what happens with MB, but just a thought.

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 08:07 AM)
If Zambrano walks from the Cubs, he is looking for a contract around 5 years at $90 million. To me this guy is a top ten pitcher in the game. I know KW doesnt like to give out long term deals to pitchers, but this is a guy I would make an exception. I guess it probably depends on what happens with MB, but just a thought.

Based on what Zito just got, this sounds like a great deal. I hope the s*** ass Cubs blow this one.

I think it depends on what Carlos wants years in years. If he will take 5, the Cubs will resign him. If he wants 6-7, I'm not as confident the Cubs reup with him, still a chance, but they may bite the bullet and let another team give him the 2 extra years, which I can't see KW giving a pitcher that many years

I thought he was already signed with the Cubs this week.

He's their ace, no doubt. That would be a kick to see him in a Sox uniform (with AJ catching, LOL).

I think he is way too expensive, multi-year or not, for KW seeing that we are in "budget" mode these days.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 09:42 AM)

He's their ace, no doubt. That would be a kick to see him in a Sox uniform (with AJ catching, LOL).

I think he is way too expensive, multi-year or not, for KW seeing that we are in "budget" mode these days.

He's signed for 2007...but not beyond.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 09:42 AM)

He signed a one year deal at $12.4 million to avoid arbitration. He is said to be seeking a similar contract to Barry Zito. Not sure how many Zito got, but I know it was $18 mil/per.

The person that will get this deal done is Oswaldo Guillen. If he wants him he will get him. I think in US Cellular Zambrano is a guy you need. As I explined in an other thread a guy like Zambrano surrounded by four .500 pitchers = 90 wins. If the young guys are .500 pitchers we are set.

The guy is a number one plain and simple he is 26 and has beyond electric stuff. He does not rely on funking stuff. Dye and Buerhle = Zambrano if they choose.

The 2007 Free Agent List will be one for the ages! Guys like Ichiru, Zambrano, Buerhle (hopefully not), Dye (hopefully not), Iguchi (hopefully not), Schilling, Michael Young, Joe Nathan, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada, Andruw Jones, Jason Westbrook, Ivan Rodriguez, Freddy Garcia, Kenny Rogers, Torri Hunter, Jason Isringhausen, Omar Vizquel, Marcus Giles, Paul Lo Duca, Adam Dunn, Corey Patterson, Aaron Rowand, David Eckstein, Mike Lowell, Jason Jennings, Bartolo Colon, Michael Barrett (FU dude), and a whole bunch more.......

I've never seen a list this good before... should be interesting to see what KW does with it.

However, I did not see Mr. Cy Young Johan Santana. I think he is signed through 2008.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 10:52 AM)
Kenny Williams will not sign a pitcher to a 6+ year, $125 million + deal. Kenny Williams is simply not that stupid. And I am thankful for that quite often.

What he said...except if it were Johan Santana. But back to the original question, no to Carlos Z. I am leery of bringing him and his mental condition to face AL lineups every turn.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 04:54 PM)
If Zambrano would 'settle' for a 5 year deal then I hope Kenny would be all over that and throw billions of dollars at Zambrano.

no chance it happens. carlos will get some team (possibly the cubs) desperate for his services and pay him a ridiculous amount of money. if the sox even were to sign him you could kiss buerhle, dye, iguchi goodbye.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 10:41 AM)
The 2007 Free Agent List will be one for the ages! Guys like Ichiru, Zambrano, Buerhle (hopefully not), Dye (hopefully not), Iguchi (hopefully not), Schilling, Michael Young, Joe Nathan, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada, Andruw Jones, Jason Westbrook, Ivan Rodriguez, Freddy Garcia, Kenny Rogers, Torri Hunter, Jason Isringhausen, Omar Vizquel, Marcus Giles, Paul Lo Duca, Adam Dunn, Corey Patterson, Aaron Rowand, David Eckstein, Mike Lowell, Jason Jennings, Bartolo Colon, Michael Barrett (FU dude), and a whole bunch more.......

I've never seen a list this good before... should be interesting to see what KW does with it.

However, I did not see Mr. Cy Young Johan Santana. I think he is signed through 2008.

having said that, i wouldnt mind a run at ichiro (probably out of the sox price range) or more realistically michael young!

QUOTE(Beltin @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What he said...except if it were Johan Santana. But back to the original question, no to Carlos Z. I am leery of bringing him and his mental condition to face AL lineups every turn.

Simply put, before he goes to bed each night, Zambrano checks his closet for a DH.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 06:30 PM)
Simply put, before he goes to bed each night, Zambrano checks his closet for a DH.

I still don't buy it. You constantly talk about how he walks the 8 hitter to get to the pitcher, but the stats just don't agree. In fact, the stats suggest he pitches much more frequently to the 8 hitter rather than pitch around him, as suggested by the .211/.305/.371/.676 line 8 hitters have put up against him over the past 3 years (as opposed to .227/.314/.352/.665 by 6 hitters, and .206/.279/.296/.576 by 7 hitters). Also, 6 hitters have 29 walks against him, opposed to the 31 he's allowed to 8 hitters. It seems to me he pitches just fine to 8 hitters.

And even beyond that, it was be assinine for any pitcher in the NL not to pitch around the 8 hitter to get to the pitcher. That's simply playing probabilities.

The fact that the highest average he has allowed against any batter in the order is .251 to leadoff hitters and the highest OPS he's allowed is .775 to the cleanup hitters over the last 3 is very indicative to me of the type of success he could and would have in the AL. Like any pitcher, there's going to be some dropoff, but that's to be completely expected.

I don't necessarily feel the Sox should make a run at him if he were to hit free agency, because I have my concerns about injury, but I tend to feel that way about any pitcher that throws 95+. As a matter of fact, off the top of my head, the only pitcher I would give that long of a contract to who does throw 95+ would be Santana, and from having seen him pitch, it just seems he would stay completely healthy throughout the duration of the contract due to his mechanics and how seemingly little exertion he has to use to get the ball up to that speed.