Would KW sign Zambrano?

harfman77

IsOD (or whatever OBP-BA is) for 6th place hitter: .087, 7th place: .073, 8th place hitter: .094.

That's a pretty noticable difference (29% increase!) between the 7th and 8th placed hitters, unless you are going to make the claim that an 8th place NL hitter tends to be more patient than the 7th placed NL hitters. I'm not buying that at all.

Edited by santo=dorf

I really can't see where a guy who threw 3 or 4 one hitters in the NL last year would struggle mightly in the AL. Its a very small sample size. Zambrano would be the White Sox best pitcher by far in my estimation. The problem with him at least in my eyes is that he is a more intense Bartolo Colon. He's going to get a lot of years, and will be Cy Young worthy a few of those years, BUT he's a guy who has some problems with his weight. He also has some problems with his back and forearm. You sign him for 6 or 7 years, he's going to most likely spend at least one season on the DL. I can't see him staying healthy that long. Something has to give.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 08:08 PM)
IsOD (or whatever OBP-BA is) for 6th place hitter: .087, 7th place: .073, 8th place hitter: .094.

That's a pretty noticable difference (29% increase!) between the 7th and 8th placed hitters, unless you are going to make the claim that an 8th place NL hitter tends to be more patient than the 7th placed NL hitters. I'm not buying that at all.

I bet every pitcher - except late inning relievers - in the NL has similar splits. Like I said, it would be stupid for a pitcher to pitch to the 8th hitter when the pitcher is on deck. Would you not agree?

So yes, by default, I would venture to guess every 8th place hitter in the NL is more "patient," regardless of whether or not they are actually more patient.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bet every pitcher - except late inning relievers - in the NL has similar splits. Like I said, it would be stupid for a pitcher to pitch to the 8th hitter when the pitcher is on deck. Would you not agree?

I'd like to see if the IsOD increases by 29%, but I mentioned this before and said this makes Zambrano a smart pitcher.

So yes, by default, I would venture to guess every 8th place hitter in the NL is more "patient," regardless of whether or not they are actually more patient.

Um, no, if the pitcher is practically avoiding the player by not giving him anything to hit, it doesn't make the player a "patient" hitter.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 08:42 PM)
I'd like to see if the IsOD increases by 29%, but I mentioned this before and said this makes Zambrano a smart pitcher.

Cy Young winner Brandon Webb...

7 hitter - 240/.272/.358/.630 (IsoD .032)

8-hitter - .243/.326/.331/.657 (IsoD .083)

Tom Glavine...

7-hitter - .270/.306/.352/.657 (IsoD .036)

8-hitter - .218/.280/.326/.606 (IsoD .062)

Chris Carpenter...

7-hitter - .261/.286/.354/.640 (IsoD .025)

8-hitter - .175 .231 .233 .464 (IsoD .056)

Aaron Harang...

7-hitter - .264/.298/.413/.711 (IsoD .034)

8-hitter - .311/.370/.386/.756 (IsoD .059)

There are undoubtedly others too, but those are just 4 of the better pitchers in the NL, so I figured they'd work. Of course, not every pitcher does this, because as I recall, Oswalt and Willis are pretty much even up, or they walk the 8 hitter even less. It just depends solely upon the pitcher, but by and large, most pitchers pitch around the 8 hitter.

Um, no, if the pitcher is practically avoiding the player by not giving him anything to hit, it doesn't make the player a "patient" hitter.

Of course not. I said by default. If walking means you are patient, and the 8 hitter (generally) walks more than the 7 hitter, then the 8 hitter is more patient than the 7 hitter. Follow?

I think that "walking a lot" = patient hitter that clean and cut.

A player could walk very little yet still be a patient hitter by taking a ton of pitches and never swinging early in the count.

With the exception of Webb's 8th place hitter, those IsOD's are small due to the other pitchers walking significantly less batters than Zambrano. Because their WHIPs are with in the same range (Carlos last year was on the very high side) their IsOD is going to be less because most of their base runners are dependent on the ball being put in play. I'd like to see which site you are using so I can see the difference in walk totals

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 09:28 PM)
I think that "walking a lot" = patient hitter that clean and cut.

A player could walk very little yet still be a patient hitter by taking a ton of pitches and never swinging early in the count.

With the exception of Webb's 8th place hitter, those IsOD's are small due to the other pitchers walking significantly less batters than Zambrano. Because their WHIPs are with in the same range (Carlos last year was on the very high side) their IsOD is going to be less because most of their base runners are dependent on the ball being put in play. I'd like to see which site you are using so I can see the difference in walk totals

just espn.com