Could be a pretty good outfield in.............

Jim Spencer

Could be a pretty good outfield in Charlotte this year.

Ozzie said if Pods comes back sonner than expected, Anderson, Sweeney, and Owens will be down in Charlotte. The only way any of them stays is if they make the team as a starter or someone gets hurt. Ozzie did say that he couldn't see BA as a platoon player and I must agree. He would be better off getting his ABs down in Charlotte than sitting the bench in Chicago.

I wonder how Brian would take a demotion???

Edited by Jim Spencer

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending Anderson down would make no sense. With all the LHP we face, are we actually going to make Erstad the sacrificial lamb in CF against the likes of Johan, C.C., etc. Like Tony said, I have no faith in Ozzie to handle this the right way. I can't wait for Pods to start off April hitting .100, and everyone to say "it's ok, he's rounding into shape".

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 11:26 AM)
Next thing you know he'll be out of town, like McCarthy.

And with that, the White Sox future in the outfield will take a huge hit and the Chris Young trade will loom even larger than before. If Brian Anderson isn't a future starter for this team like the coaching staff originally thought then there have been some major f***ups personnel wise over the past few years.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 05:29 PM)
And with that, the White Sox future in the outfield will take a huge hit and the Chris Young trade will loom even larger than before. If Brian Anderson isn't a future starter for this team like the coaching staff originally thought then there have been some major f***ups personnel wise over the past few years.

Great post

I don't understand this about Sweeney:

Manager Ozzie Guillen said Ryan Sweeney, 21, would be better off returning to Triple-A Charlotte if he doesn't win the starting center field job.

"He has great talent, but right now we have to see people a little bit more than we're going to see him," Guillen said. "He will be here, but I don't know about this year. I don't want to hear this from my general manager, but if we have Sweeney on the team, it's bad news."

Guillen added the Sox's depth in the outfield and at third base make it tough for Sweeney and Josh Fields to make the Opening Day roster.

So lets just say for a second that Erstad does make the team as the everyday starter in CF and Brian Anderson is sent to AAA to start the season. Who the hell plays CF when an injury plagued Erstad needs a day off or tweaks something requiring a week of rest? Anderson surely can't be recalled every time Erstad needs to sit so what's the plan out there? Ozzie can say Mack will not be seeing any time in CF this year all he wants but if he's going to be demoting the only other passable CF on this team for an injury plagued 33 year old, I don't see what other options he's leaving himself here.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 11:46 AM)
Ever wanted to see Pablo in CF? Maybe some Terrero? Pods?

I assume Terrro would be the backup plan for CF with him making the team out of spring training as the 4th OF. That should be fun seeing as how he's terrible and all. I've watched most all of his 40 ABs from last season now and it's funny to here how the announcers talked about him, taking shots at him during every AB, wondering aloud why he's even on the big league roster and then presenting him with a Bronx cheer when after 32 AB he finally picks up his first extra base hit of the season. You think Brian Anderson looked clueless at the plate last season just wait until you get a look at Luis Terrero.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 11:41 AM)
So lets just say for a second that Erstad does make the team as the everyday starter in CF and Brian Anderson is sent to AAA to start the season. Who the hell plays CF when an injury plagued Erstad needs a day off or tweaks something requiring a week of rest? Anderson surely can't be recalled every time Erstad needs to sit so what's the plan out there? Ozzie can say Mack will not be seeing any time in CF this year all he wants but if he's going to be demoting the only other passable CF on this team for an injury plagued 33 year old, I don't see what other options he's leaving himself here.

Well, as long as Terrero grinds it out on the field, and plays spicey Latin music in the clubhouse, everything should be fine.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 11:57 AM)
I assume Terrro would be the backup plan for CF with him making the team out of spring training as the 4th OF. That should be fun seeing as how he's terrible and all. I've watched most all of his 40 ABs from last season now and it's funny to here how the announcers talked about him, taking shots at him during every AB, wondering aloud why he's even on the big league roster and then presenting him with a Bronx cheer when after 32 AB he finally picks up his first extra base hit of the season. You think Brian Anderson looked clueless at the plate last season just wait until you get a look at Luis Terrero.

Walk will fix him

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 05:41 PM)

Good post. I was thinking the same thing... Ozzie already said R-Mack won't be playing CF anymore. That leaves Pablo Ozuna as the only other canidate. This team will be much better off having Erstad coming off the bench.

It looks like Rotoworld actually had 2 real good write-ups on the subject

If Darin Erstad beats out Brian Anderson to become the White Sox's starting center fielder, Tadahito Iguchi likely will be dropped to the sixth or seventh spot in the lineup.

It's not a surprise, but such a move would likely hurt the White Sox offense and Iguchi's fantasy value. Erstad is a .272/.324/.373 hitter over the last six years, while Iguchi is at .280/.347/.430 in his two years in the majors. If the White Sox really have Scott Podsednik and Erstad hitting first and second, it doesn't seem likely that Jim Thome will have a lot of RBI opportunities in the third spot in the order.

The White Sox intend to sent Brian Anderson to Triple-A if Darin Erstad beats him out for the starting job in center field.

Erstad would like break down quickly if the White Sox made a regular out of him, so any demotion for Anderson could be short-lived. The club would be better off if Anderson steps up this spring and shows he can hit a respectable .260-.270 against major league pitching.

Can't say I disagree with any of it. This really could end up hurting Jim Thome next season.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 02:37 PM)
Can somebody explain to me the rationale behind dropping Iguchi that far down the lineup?

apparently Iguchi has power that he's sacrificing in the 2 hole

Ozzie can be a huge idiot sometimes if he's actually telling the truth

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 02:43 PM)
apparently Iguchi has power that he's sacrificing in the 2 hole

Ozzie can be a huge idiot sometimes if he's actually telling the truth

Ozzie is trying to recreate the Florida Marlins, lefty Pods is Pierre except with his groin he isnt fast, good, or gets on base, and Erstad would be his number 2 hitter.

How about this, just stop the lift and pull crap and have some of the hitters learn to hit line drives and this need for bunting and stealing crap will be negated. If a guy can hit a ball into the gaps and run around the bases its a bit better than having some guy bunt, steal and waste outs.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 11:35 AM)
I don't understand this about Sweeney:

why? no point having him rot on our bench... but i do think that if he earns the nod he should get it... and it looks like he's not gonna get it no matter what

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 08:33 AM)
Sending Anderson down would make no sense. With all the LHP we face, are we actually going to make Erstad the sacrificial lamb in CF against the likes of Johan, C.C., etc. Like Tony said, I have no faith in Ozzie to handle this the right way. I can't wait for Pods to start off April hitting .100, and everyone to say "it's ok, he's rounding into shape".

Anderson sucked against righties and lefties, its not like he's Eduardo Perez against left handed pitching. I'm sick of the ridiculous love BA gets on this board. The guy was one of the most awful every day starters as a rookie as I've seen in a long time (from the offensive perspective).