Could be a pretty good outfield in.............

Jim Spencer

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 09:16 AM)
From the Tribune :

It's interesting to me because Erstad is already considered a starter, on par with Dye, while Anderson is just another guy looking for pt. At least Terrero is not listed.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 09:32 AM)
No mention of Pods.

I'm happy because of it.

I'd assume he's handing LF to Erstad, and if Podsednik can get healthy in time, then it's a matter of who is playing better between Erstad and Anderson. I also assume Podsednik is going to land himself on the DL too, atleast for the greater portion of April.

Pods is hurt, who else would be starting?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 08:24 AM)
Pods is hurt, who else would be starting?

There could be a competition with any of those guys mentioned along with Anderson, with Perez, there could be a platoon. The interesting thing to me is that we haven't seen anything from Erstad yet, and he's already been given a starting job.

Scott Podsednik - Outfielder Feb. 27 - 9:36 am et

Asked about Scott Podsednik's status Monday, manager Ozzie Guillen said, "He's my leadoff guy ... Podsednik doesn't have to worry about losing his job."

Bad news for Josh Fields, who doesn't appear to have any kind of way to make the Opening Day roster if he's not competing with Podsednik. Guillen indicated that regardless of whether Brian Anderson and Darin Erstad both make the team, Podsednik will remain as the leadoff hitter.

Source: Chicago Tribune

If Ozuna and Erstad are starting against Sabathia opening day, I would take that to mean that Sweeney would be the regular third outfielder until Pods comes back. Either way, one of BA, Sweeney, or Jerry Owens will open the season as a starter in Chicago. I cant see Ozuna playing LF every day.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 12:40 AM)
In my opinion, Anderson's defense is overrated. Both Scott Gregor and Greg Couch wrote articles saying that people assumed Anderson had good defense just because he couldn't hit. Gregor specifically mentioned Anderson had difficulty going back on balls straight at him. I trust a beat writer's opinion on that, since he saw way more games in person than I did. I admit, I thought Anderson looked good in the field, but I'm no scout and I think it's possible BA just looked good to me in comparison to Mack.

And for those of a statistical bent, Chris Dial's defensive metrics had Anderson as a plus defender before the ASB and an exactly average one after the ASB. As more data accumulated, Anderson's defensive stats continued to go down. I've heard it really takes 2 years of data for Dial's metric to give meaningful results. I wouldn't be surprised if Anderson's defensive ranking continues to decline.

Anyway, the point is probably moot, since I'm pretty sure the CF combo will be Erstad and Terrero.

I didn't assume Anderson had good defense, I saw it with my own eyes. He has ridiculous range cause his jumps are so good. He saves hits. He saves runs and he will only get better. Every center fielder has difficulty with balls hit right at them. With Brian's positioning he makes way more plays in front of him, then balls that will be hit right at him over his head.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 10:28 AM)
I just dont see Anderson being sent down. It will not happen.

a championship is not riding on the performance of Brian Anderson, so I would tend to agree. But if he can't earn a spot on the team then there's no reason to have him riding the pine and platooning.