Frank Thomas Blue Jays Story

rangercal

The Big Hurt, Frank Thomas, has already started to put his mark on the team. He and Troy Glaus seem to have adopted a "You first, no, really, after you, I insist" approach to who'll bat cleanup. And Thomas showed a remarkable sensibility in the way he approached Lyle Overbay about acquiring Overbay's uniform No. 35.

After quickly giving his blessing, Overbay didn't know what to say when Thomas said he wanted to "do something" for him. Thomas called Overbay's wife, Sarah, and asked whether she thought her husband would like him to commission a painting of Overbay by Vernon Wells Sr., a well known portrait artist and the father of the Blue Jays' centre fielder. Of course he would, she responded, especially if Wells could paint the couple's two sons, two-year-old Adam and Alex, into the picture. She sent pictures of the kids to Wells's father and made a pact with Thomas to keep it a secret from Overbay, who was caught off guard by the gesture.

"Pretty special," said Overbay, who signed a four-year, $24-million (U.S.) contract over the winter. "I mean, you don't know somebody so you don't know what their tastes or their likes are, and then somebody goes that far for you . . . it just tells you something about the type of person he [Thomas] is. To have that happen to me -- and to sign that contract and stay in a place I really wanted to stay -- it made for a pretty good winter."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto.../TPStory/Sports

:wub: Frank

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 01:32 PM)
Frank has not always been nice to the media, but I have never once heard that he was a bad teammate. I love the man and always will, he will always be my favorite player in a White Sox uni and favorite baseball player ever. Can't wait till he is enshrined in Cooperstown.

I agree but it seems KW feels differently.

Bob

Frank has not always been nice to the media, but I have never once heard that he was a bad teammate. I love the man and always will, he will always be my favorite player in a White Sox uni and favorite baseball player ever. Can't wait till he is enshrined in Cooperstown.

A perfect summation of my feelings.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Feb 25, 2007 -> 01:34 AM)
I hope he does it against us.

Like TheOcho said, if it doesn't have an affect on the the outcome, I guess I'd be fine with it. But I'd never want to see any player succeed at the expense of the Sox. I was extremely happy to see Frank succeed in Oakland last year. But I certainly didn't enjoy watching him hit crippling homers off us during the stretch run.

Frank is my favorite player of all time, but if he hit his 500th homer against us and it ended being the deciding run, I would be quite pissed. I can't wait to see him get his 500th, but if he ain't in a Sox uni, I'd prefer to see him do it against somebody else. Hopefully that game will be nationally televised.

i remember him calling out konerko in 02.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most people, at least as far as I know (myself included) don't really look forward to getting older in general (getting that much closer to the end of the line), but if there's one thing I'll enjoy other than (hopefully) marriage, children and a good career (hopefuly accomplishing my dreams), it will be seeing that happen.

Edited by TheBigHurt