Frank Thomas Blue Jays Story

rangercal

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 08:32 PM)
Frank has not always been nice to the media, but I have never once heard that he was a bad teammate. I love the man and always will, he will always be my favorite player in a White Sox uni and favorite baseball player ever. Can't wait till he is enshrined in Cooperstown.

I'm sure most people would hate the media if they were in the player position too. Stupid media perceives the player's personality to the public based on how the player treats them, when there's no way of knowing unless you actually know the player. When I was a kid I was worried about meeting Frank since all I heard about what a douchebag he was and he's actually one of the nicest guy's I've met, and have multiple autos/pics just from him hanging out before games. I can't say the same for other players we used to have

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 07:14 AM)
I want Frank for it to be against us too, even if its a game deciding run.... its just 1 game and Frank can have 1 game to hit the milestone in my opinion.

I don't know if he can turn anyone in the White Sox bullpen around anymore. Last year he hit two dings off Garland, and you may recall that the Sox coaches were absolutely livid with Jon and Widger over how they pitched to him. Then one off Vazquez (6th inn) and, finally, Contreras during his September funk.

Frank is still a great mistake hitter but if the pitch is hard and over the plate I think you can get him every time. Detroit pitched him this way in the ALCS and made him look bad.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 03:24 AM)
I don't know if he can turn anyone in the White Sox bullpen around anymore. Last year he hit two dings off Garland, and you may recall that the Sox coaches were absolutely livid with Jon and Widger over how they pitched to him. Then one off Vazquez (6th inn) and, finally, Contreras during his September funk.

Frank is still a great mistake hitter but if the pitch is hard and over the plate I think you can get him every time. Detroit pitched him this way in the ALCS and made him look bad.

He did hit a couple off that Santana guy last playoffs.

No mention of Thome yet? Soxtalk is learning it seems :P

This is a great story, and I hope that Frank hits #500 as quickly as possible. He's a great player, and was the face of this franchise for years. That being said, I'd rather he didn't hit it as a game winner against us.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 08:32 PM)
Frank has not always been nice to the media, but I have never once heard that he was a bad teammate. I love the man and always will, he will always be my favorite player in a White Sox uni and favorite baseball player ever. Can't wait till he is enshrined in Cooperstown.

I'm a big Frank supporter also but this isn't true. There were always reports of Ozzie or Robin or KW or someone complaining about his "stats first attitude" How he wouoldn't sacrifice his stats to move someone over. I don't think anyone thought he was a bad guy but definitely a "my stats first guy."

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
A baseball season is 162 games, im not worried about 1 game when it comes to a Frank Thomas. And with how are minors look and current roster, im not 2 worried about a situation like it to come again anytime soon.

One game could be the difference between the playoffs and golfing in October. I don't care who the hell the player is, I find it absolutely ridiculous that someone would cheer for an individual over the White Sox.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 06:36 PM)
One game could be the difference between the playoffs and golfing in October. I don't care who the hell the player is, I find it absolutely ridiculous that someone would cheer for an individual over the White Sox.

In my opinion this whitesox team is going to either be really good where 1 game wont matter or just not good enough where it really doesnt matter. I expect better than a wildcard team.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 02:17 PM)
In my opinion this whitesox team is going to either be really good where 1 game wont matter or just not good enough where it really doesnt matter. I expect better than a wildcard team.

That's what you think, but you don't know that for sure, none of us do. I personally couldn't care less about Frank Thomas right now, that being said I know a lot of people still care a lot about Frank and want him to succeed, that I certainly understand. But for someone to cheer for him to beat the White Sox in a game, that makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 02:28 PM)
That's what you think, but you don't know that for sure, none of us do. I personally couldn't care less about Frank Thomas right now, that being said I know a lot of people still care a lot about Frank and want him to succeed, that I certainly understand. But for someone to cheer for him to beat the White Sox in a game, that makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Personally, I don't even care if we suck and are 20 games out of first. I never, under any circumstance, root for somebody at the expense of the White Sox. I'm a White Sox fan first. A Frank Thomas fan a distant distant second. Ideally, I'd like to see him hit it at the Cell when the Sox are up 10-0 in the 9th. But if he hit his 500th off us and it won the game for the Jays, to hell with that. I want the Sox to win every game. I wouldn't shrug my shoulders and say, oh well, at least Frank hit his 500th. Sox lose and I ain't happy.

And I couldn't be a bigger Frank Thomas fan. Still, let him do it against someone else.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 08:28 PM)

I dont necessarily want it to be a game winning HR, but it would be extra special if it was against us especially at the cell. And to be Frank Thomas is a White Sox forever so he has a free pass for me.

Unless its playoffs, than I want him to strike out everytime.

Edited by SoxFan101

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 01:14 AM)
I want Frank for it to be against us too, even if its a game deciding run.... its just 1 game and Frank can have 1 game to hit the milestone in my opinion.

My thoughts exactly. I envy all of you who may have a chance to be there and see it happen, and the whole place should erupt and give him the first ballot HOF hand he deserves.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 05:56 PM)
I dont necessarily want it to be a game winning HR, but it would be extra special if it was against us especially at the cell. And to be Frank Thomas is a White Sox forever so he has a free pass for me.

Unless its playoffs, than I want him to strike out everytime.

Why would it be extra special? Just because the Sox would get a few extra minutes on SportsCenter with them saying how the Sox made a mistake in letting him go, and how this makes the Sox look bad, etc, etc.? Frank can kick everyone's ass, except the Sox. I want him 0-for-the-year against the Sox, and I too am a huge Thomas fan.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 08:31 PM)
Why would it be extra special? Just because the Sox would get a few extra minutes on SportsCenter with them saying how the Sox made a mistake in letting him go, and how this makes the Sox look bad, etc, etc.? Frank can kick everyone's ass, except the Sox. I want him 0-for-the-year against the Sox, and I too am a huge Thomas fan.

Most of those 500 homers will have come in a Sox uniform and so I don't see how it would be anything but natural that Sox fans in attendance on the night where he got to 500 would want to share that moment with him.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Feb 24, 2007 -> 01:32 PM)

Yeah you have, in the '01 season. Many of Thomas's teammates wanted a veteran to speak out against Thomas, and David Wells obliged.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 05:40 AM)
I thought it was more like David Wells made an ass out of himself speaking out against Frank Thomas.

Pretty much. Dogged him for not being able to play through a little pain and then it turned out Frank had a torn bicep muscle. Oh yeah, then,about a week later Wells went on the DL for the rest of the year, unable to play through a little pain apparently. :bang

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 02:28 PM)

Since a lot of people disagree with you, maybe you're crazy and the rest of us are sane.