Frank Thomas Blue Jays Story

rangercal

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 10:15 AM)
Since a lot of people disagree with you, maybe you're crazy and the rest of us are sane.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 12:11 PM)
:cheers

Yup, cheering for an individual over the White Sox, w000000000000000000t. I'll never understand it, and trust me, there are plenty more who don't, it doesn't make any sense.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 07:48 PM)
Yup, cheering for an individual over the White Sox, w000000000000000000t. I'll never understand it, and trust me, there are plenty more who don't, it doesn't make any sense.

I agree with you 100 percent. This is close to being as bad as people that say "oh well, I'm not mad that he hit a walkoff homer, at least (insert player's name) is on my fantasy team". I hated Timo Perez, but I still rooted for him because he was on the White Sox. On the other hand, I would never root for a player against the White Sox.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 02:01 PM)
I agree with you 100 percent. This is close to being as bad as people that say "oh well, I'm not mad that he hit a walkoff homer, at least (insert player's name) is on my fantasy team". I hated Timo Perez, but I still rooted for him because he was on the White Sox. On the other hand, I would never root for a player against the White Sox.

yup, fantasy team player compared to greatest player in white sox history. Good comparison. :lol:

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 12:41 PM)
It was clearly written in jest (or at least, clearly to me :P)

lol...ya I could tell it was. I really don't give a s*** who's better between Thome and Thomas, because it really is arguable and a matter of opinion. All I really care about is that Thome is great next year.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 01:48 PM)

Well, this is a very special case. And like I said earlier, I don't want it to be a HR that beats us. But if we're either up or down, let's say, 5 runs, and Frank comes to the plate and smashes #500, I'm certainly not going to be upset. In fact, I'm going to cheer my ass off.

Edited by Jordan4life_2007

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 06:17 AM)
Pretty much. Dogged him for not being able to play through a little pain and then it turned out Frank had a torn bicep muscle. Oh yeah, then,about a week later Wells went on the DL for the rest of the year, unable to play through a little pain apparently. :bang

Triceps, factually speaking

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 08:01 PM)
I agree with you 100 percent. This is close to being as bad as people that say "oh well, I'm not mad that he hit a walkoff homer, at least (insert player's name) is on my fantasy team".

I stand more on your guys' side of the fence, but this is not even close to that situation. Not even close.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 01:48 PM)

I agree with you, but if there were one player that could make me be happy to see my team lose, it'd be Frank. He made me love the sport in the first place. Still, I'd rather see the Sox win than see Frank hit #500 to lead the Blue Jays to a win.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 02:01 PM)
This is close to being as bad as people that say "oh well, I'm not mad that he hit a walkoff homer, at least (insert player's name) is on my fantasy team".

I think when most people say that, they aren't really being serious. I know when I say it, I mean it in a "trying to salvage anything good I can out of a loss" way.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 05:55 PM)
Well, this is a very special case. And like I said earlier, I don't want it to be a HR that beats us. But if we're either up or down, let's say, 5 runs, and Frank comes to the plate and smashes #500, I'm certainly not going to be upset. In fact, I'm going to cheer my ass off.

I don't think that's really what Rowand is talking about specifically. Others were suggesting that they wouldn't mind seeing Frank hit his 500th homer even if it meant a White Sox lost. That's ridiculous.

I'd love to see Frank hit his 500th homer against the Sox - just not in a game that's tied up where his homer determines whether the Sox win or lose. And hell, if the Sox are getting pummeled, let Frank hit his 500th - atleast then I can be happy in some aspect about a blow out.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 07:00 PM)
I don't think that's really what Rowand is talking about specifically. Others were suggesting that they wouldn't mind seeing Frank hit his 500th homer even if it meant a White Sox lost. That's ridiculous.

I'd love to see Frank hit his 500th homer against the Sox - just not in a game that's tied up where his homer determines whether the Sox win or lose. And hell, if the Sox are getting pummeled, let Frank hit his 500th - atleast then I can be happy in some aspect about a blow out.

Then I agree with Rowand. Although were it to happen, I'd cheer Frank after the fact.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 06:57 PM)
Triceps, factually speaking

yes, tricep not bicep. Hey, what's one cep more or less between friends? :D

And this whole thread has gotten rather silly.

To Rowand and everybody else on the opposite side of thinking here, I believe the original comment that set this all off was J4Life innocently saying "I hope he gets [#500] against us" Then all of the silly scenario playing came out, with Rowand saying "no you don't" and others saying 'well what if it resulted in a loss that cost us a playoff berth?'. . . yada yada. . .

Focking-A. No, there isn't anybody on this site that cheers over a Sox loss, or puts a former player ahead of the current team. But get some perspective. It's going to touch a lot of us to see Frank get #500, and if it happened at the Cell where thousands of lifelong Sox fans who grew up watching the man play could feel they were a part of it, that seems kinda cool to me.

But for the record, I promise I only want to see it happen if:

A ) it doesn't cost us the game, or

B ) it costs us the game but doesn't affect the standings and/or

C ) it doesn't eliminate our playoff chances or

D ) it doesn't occur in post-season competition or

E ) it doesn't result in so much excessive cheering that it shakes the rivets out of the stadium and we all fall to our untimely deaths

Given all of those conditions, yes, it would be cool to be there if it happened in Chicago.

My Cousin talks about seeing Denny McLain pitch at Comiskey in April of 1968, beating us in the second game of a double-header in a year where the Sox didn't win their first game until almost the end of that month. He doesn't dwell on the fact that the Sox lost the game (and they did that 95 times that year). Instead he talks about being there to see a pitcher who grew up on the South Side and went to Mt. Carmel win one game during his historic 31-win season. That's a pretty cool memory to have.

If I was lucky enough to see Frank hit #500 at the Cell – even with a (*gasp*) Sox loss (so long as it didn't knock us out of playoff contention or somehow otherwise instantaneously cause us to lose every game for the rest of eternity) then, yeah, I think in 20 years I'd remember being at the game where Frank Thomas cemented his spot as a first-ballot HOFer a bit more than the fact that we dropped a game to the Blue Jays that day.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 12:58 AM)

To Rowand and everybody else on the opposite side of thinking here, I believe the original comment that set this all off was J4Life innocently saying "I hope he gets [#500] against us" Then all of the silly scenario playing came out, with Rowand saying "no you don't" and others saying 'well what if it resulted in a loss that cost us a playoff berth?'. . . yada yada. . .

Focking-A. No, there isn't anybody on this site that cheers over a Sox loss, or puts a former player ahead of the current team. But get some perspective. It's going to touch a lot of us to see Frank get #500, and if it happened at the Cell where thousands of lifelong Sox fans who grew up watching the man play could feel they were a part of it, that seems kinda cool to me.

E ) it doesn't result in so much excessive cheering that it shakes the rivets out of the stadium and we all fall to our untimely deaths

Given all of those conditions, yes, it would be cool to be there if it happened in Chicago.

My Cousin talks about seeing Denny McLain pitch at Comiskey in April of 1968, beating us in the second game of a double-header in a year where the Sox didn't win their first game until almost the end of that month. He doesn't dwell on the fact that the Sox lost the game (and they did that 95 times that year). Instead he talks about being there to see a pitcher who grew up on the South Side and went to Mt. Carmel win one game during his historic 31-win season. That's a pretty cool memory to have.

If I was lucky enough to see Frank hit #500 at the Cell – even with a (*gasp*) Sox loss (so long as it didn't knock us out of playoff contention or somehow otherwise instantaneously cause us to lose every game for the rest of eternity) then, yeah, I think in 20 years I'd remember being at the game where Frank Thomas cemented his spot as a first-ballot HOFer a bit more than the fact that we dropped a game to the Blue Jays that day.

well said. I agree 100%

I was more or less giving Jordan s*** and I think he knows that. Others actually came in and said that they would like to see Frank hit 500 against us even if it cost the Sox a game, that comment got to me a bit so that's where my comments came from. To cheer against the Sox for a player getting a milestone is ridiculous imo and nobody can convince me otherwise. Like I said, I honestly couldn't care less about Frank right now but i understand the people who still cheer for him, that's completely understandable, he meant a lot to a lot of people for a long time. Still, to cheer for an individual milestone over your favorite team makes 0 sense.

Very well said. I agree!

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 01:58 AM)

That wouldn't count anyway.