Why Does it Bother Me?

SouthSidePride05

I might be the only one here who gets bothered by this, but maybe there's some others out there just like me. For some reason, it really bugs me that the Cubs are so popular. It just boggles my mind. They seem to be especially popular among out-of-towners, people who fantasize about Chicago, or people who have this delusional obsession of the greatness of Wrigley Field.

I was watching the Bulls game the other night on national tv, and Hubie Brown mentions something about short-sleeve t-shirts and spring-time, and then he says the first thing that comes to his mind: "The Cubbies, it's almost that time of year".

I live in Chicago, but recently I've been traveling a lot, to and from other cities, and sometimes visiting hotels in Chicago for conventions. All these out of towners HAVE to bring something home from Chicago that says "Wrigley Field" or "Cubs" on it. I've noticed Chicagoans aren't quite that obsessive over the Cubs, but people everywhere else views "The Friendly Confines" as this holy shrine that has to be visited. A few days ago I walked in one of the hotel gift shops here in downtown, and 2 Sox hats sat atop a collection of generic "Chicago" t-shirts, and on the opposite side was an entire wall set up with Wrigley Field souvenirs, everything from postcards to those snow-dome souvenirs to magnets to baseball caps, and then there were Cubs tshirts of over a dozen designs, probably over a hundred different souvenirs for the Cubs, and only 2 Sox hats.

And I've noticed this in other hotels too.

I also get a ton of people talking about the Bears loss in the Super Bowl, since they know I'm from Chicago, and then the inevitable "Well now it's almost baseball season, Go Cubbies". WTF? It's as if the Sox never won the World Series, and the more years go by WITHOUT the Cubs winning a World Series, the more loveable and non-threatening their symbol becomes.

The worst thing that gets to me is when people question why I'm a Sox fan. They ask why the White Sox are still ignored by Chicago and why their attendance is not high, and it's all negative stuff... negative stereotypes. Why does this bother me? Does it bother anyone else? :huh

I guess everybody who said the Sox would become Chicago's team after that was wrong though. I could care less though.

Yup.

I really don't see how such a s***ty baseball franchise can be so successful with the popularity of the fans. I can understand how the buy-every-player, be good every-year type team like the Yankees, and Red-sox can be fan favorites by the average fan, just because they win, but the cubs don't even do that. They haven't won since 1908, thats TERRIBLE.

I don't understand how the cubs can be the face of Chicago's baseball scheme, even after the white sox won it all in 2005. But hey, it's fine with me, never being looked at in the media, always the second team, flying under the radar.

Couple things, while the Sox where on a channel 44 and we had to watch through the snow, the Cubs were building an empire on their Superstation. For most of the country without a true local team, the only baseball broadcast they could watch were Cubs during the day and the Braves at night. There was at least a decade of that.

Wrigley is one of the classic venues in a sport that loves tradition. While the Yankees had the house that Ruth built, the Cubs had the house that losing built. As a baseball fan without a Sox-Cubs care, Wrigley is a better building for a once a year visit and souvenir.

Around the country the NL and the Cubs seem to be more popular. But then they earned that with nationwide marketing all those years ago.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 25, 2007 -> 07:12 PM)
is this really coming up again? who cares?

At some point being a Sox fan means often times be the #2 team in your market. Only a few other fan bases can commiserate with that. Mets, Clippers, (A's or Giants), Angels maybe. NFL Jets.

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 25, 2007 -> 08:32 PM)
I'd say A's.

SF is considered trendy, Oak is considered ghetto.

That's what I was guessing but being an "AL Guy" the A's seemed cool to me. Maybe because of the days of Catfish Hunter, Rollie Fingers, Vida "True" Blue, etc.

I've noticed between football and baseball with the American and National League/Conference, most of the time the National side gets it.

Cubs>White Sox

Giants>A's

Dodgers>Angels

Giants>Jets

49'ers>Raiders

As I'm looking right now the Yankees>Mets is the only American>National.

Even in states like Missouri the Cardinals and Rams are more popular than the Royals and Chiefs, but a lot could do with past success too. Texas has the Astros and the Cowboys over the Rangers and Texans, but past success can go with that too.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 02:03 PM)
I've noticed between football and baseball with the American and National League/Conference, most of the time the National side gets it.

Cubs>White Sox

Giants>A's

Dodgers>Angels

Giants>Jets

49'ers>Raiders

As I'm looking right now the Yankees>Mets is the only American>National.

Even in states like Missouri the Cardinals and Rams are more popular than the Royals and Chiefs, but a lot could do with past success too. Texas has the Astros and the Cowboys over the Rangers and Texans, but past success can go with that too.

annnnnnnnnnnnd Oilers

though the Oilers did sustain some success, even though they are victim to the biggest comeback in NFL history. Thank you Frank (Reich).

I also think a big reason was because its pretty much easier for a casual fan who doesnt really watch sports to say theyre a Cub fan. I have a bunch of friends who have never watched a baseball game in their life and claim to be die hard Cubs fans. You know the type, still think Wood and Prior is the best 1-2 punch in baseball, thought Sosa was the best player in baseball for years. Stuff like that.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 06:37 AM)
-Why do people buy Britney Spears albums?

-Why did people watch the OC?

-How hard would it be for that old to turn off of his left blinker, exit the left lane, and speed up from 35?

-Why would anyone pay to read Jay Mariotti?

The world is full of stupid people. I wouldn't let it bother you.

Good points. I equate it to my reason for never seeing the film Titanic. I knew it couldn't be that great of a film if 99 out of 100 Americans absolutely loved it.