JOSH FIELDS

bogie

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 10:27 PM)
It did? I've known about this rumor before, and after reading the Sun-Times article by Chris DeLuca (which you're probably referencing) I didnt' come away with anything.

If it were true, it would have been leaked by now. Whether by an anonymous source within the White Sox or Texas Rangers.

From a Dallas paper last week:

Why did the White Sox suddenly make McCarthy available? Good question but there's no clear-cut answer. McCarthy had made it known that he was ready to start after a year's apprenticeship in the bullpen, but there are rumors that there was more to it than that, perhaps even something personal between Williams and the young pitcher.

"Without getting too much into it, there were personal things between us in different realms, but not really in how I was being used, certainly not last year," McCarthy said. "When you've got five [starters] of that caliber, cracking that rotation is certainly not going to be easy.

"I said it a lot of times that I would love to be starting, but that was the competitive side of me. I wasn't whining or complaining, but I don't know if that was taken out of context."

Whatever caused the rift, if there was one, the Rangers were only too happy to be the beneficiaries, and McCarthy is now guaranteed a spot in the starting rotation, right behind Kevin Millwood and Vicente Padilla. As much as the Rangers liked Danks and his potential, they like McCarthy even better.

"He has three major league pitches," pitching coach Mark Connor said. "His changeup is top of the scale. His curveball is above average. His fastball hits 88-92 [mph], and he has good control.

"He's exuberant about starting. He didn't like being in the bullpen. I think we're getting him at the right time."

So does McCarthy, who has seen the major league careers of contemporaries such as Francisco Liriano and Justin Verlander already taking off. He's ready to start playing catch-up.

"I definitely envision myself as a future ace," he said. "I would love to be in that role. I welcomed that in the minor leagues. In high school and college, that was something I thrived on, the guy that every five days goes out to the mound, a Chris Carpenter, Johan Santana type where you just know you've got a good chance to get a good win today and get a good outing."

Watching him throw Tuesday, Didier remembered again seeing McCarthy last spring in a White Sox uniform. At that point, he could only drool and hope.

"I won't say I was mesmerized, but I said then, 'God, this guy's got something going for him that's going to be special.' He threw a lot of balls right on the knees and threw quality strikes," Didier recalled. "I just feel like he's that kind of guy, that he could be something special.

"Who knows? Only God knows how he's going to turn out. But he's got the chance to really be something. He's got that chance."

A chance at something special is what a scout and a general manager live for and that's what put a quiver in Daniels' voice that December morning.

Black Jack McDowell, Matt Morris or something in between? The Rangers can't wait to see how this dream ends.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim Reeves, 817-390-7760 [email protected]

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In DeLuca's article it was mentioned that McCarthy constantly experienced negativity between himself and the coaching staff. Maybe this was what he meant. Maybe not.

If there was something out of the professional realm, it'll come out eventually. I just feel Williams would be foolish to initiate a trade because of this, which only brings more attention to the issue.

Also featured in DeLuca's article was a quote where Williams said, "you don't have the information I have," in response to dealing McCarthy. He'd be an idiot to say something like that if McCarthy had ammunition to blow him away.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 11:46 AM)
If that happens, the Sox will go into rebuilding mode next year. There's no way that Ozzie can be a manager during that time, as he's too much of a competitor. If the Sox tank this year, I think we'll have a new Manager and General Manager.

Ozzie might hit the road, but Reinsdorf isn't going to can Williams 2 years removed from a World Series and then a 90 win season for one disastrous season (if that's what it proves to be). Look at how long he carried Krause on the Bulls.

I do think Williams trades will not look good at the end of this year. Chris Young is a ROY candidate, and Vazquez is still Vazquez. I think both Garcia and McCarthy will perform very well. And I think Floyd is going to be bad (if he has such great stuff, why are his minor league K numbers so bad? Broadway has done as well as Floyd did in the minors...). Danks might salvage something, but that won't be known for a couple more seasons.

I think Williams is a decent GM, but from my persepctive he performed poorly this offseason. The OF is a disaster and the team traded two starting pitchers and is weaker than 2006. In retrospect, I wish Buehrle had been dealt instead of Garcia, and I wish McCarthy were still on the team. I know KW is trying to make sure the Sox don't have to bid for FA pitching, but that seems quixotic to me. Pitching prospects so rarely pan out, I don't think you can escape the need for FA pitching. Even Beane signed a FA pitcher last season. I guess I've transitioned to the "win now" philosophy.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 09:30 PM)
I'm not confident about our chances of reaches the playoffs, but suggesting we're the second worst team in the American league -- even behind Seattle and Baltimore -- is a little bit ridiculous.

I expect the Sox to contend this season, but I don't think those projections are ridiculous. The Sox best players are all older, so it's not unreasonable to project a decline in the offense (see the 2nd half of last season). And all the projection systems hate the Sox pitching. And they were right last year.

The PECOTA projections did OK relative to the competition last season & Sheehan at BP did a good job picking the Central results as well (Silver , not so much). See Diamond Mind's 2006 wrapup.

Part of the problem is that the Central is IMO the best division in baseball. The unbalanced schedule can make a team look worse than it truly is compared to the rest of the league.

Anyway, I expect much better than 72 wins. Here's hoping....

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 11:32 PM)
I think Williams is a decent GM, but from my persepctive he performed poorly this offseason. The OF is a disaster and the team traded two starting pitchers and is weaker than 2006. In retrospect, I wish Buehrle had been dealt instead of Garcia, and I wish McCarthy were still on the team. I know KW is trying to make sure the Sox don't have to bid for FA pitching, but that seems quixotic to me. Pitching prospects so rarely pan out, I don't think you can escape the need for FA pitching. Even Beane signed a FA pitcher last season. I guess I've transitioned to the "win now" philosophy.

Personally, I don't object to either trading Garcia or McCarthy -- I just wish the packages we received would have been better. If Floyd were replaced by Fabio Castro and Massett/Rasner for Hurley I would have been estatic. With said players, we would have had in our possession two more top of the rotation options available to compete in forthcoming seasons.

Even if one suggests obtaining Castro wasn't feasible (which I doubt), McCarthy shouldn't have been delt unless a return package had significantly more upside. I just don't like the idea of Danks being considered a lateral move by many around here. Massett obviously may turn into a reliable bullpen arm, but for McCarthy -- I'd rather have more starting pitching.

This trade, whether people are willing to admit it, may ultimately bury Williams in the forthcoming seasons if the results heavily favor Texas. Considering how trading McCarthy wasn't necessary, and Williams relied upon his scouts and personal observations to select a package of Danks/Massett/Rasner, the success of this trade should be vital in determining his future with this organization. That's about the definition of a franchise changing move.

You have to ask yourself this, as well -- if we're not intent on persuing FA pitchers, does a future rotation of Danks/Gonzalez/Broadway/Haegar/Floyd/Sisco/whomever compete with those within our division? How will a future 1-2 punch of Danks/Gonzalez match up against Sabathia/miller, Miller/Verlander or Liriano/Garza? As of now, I don't believe very well.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 12:48 AM)
Personally, I don't object to either trading Garcia or McCarthy -- I just wish the packages we received would have been better. If Floyd were replaced by Fabio Castro and Massett/Rasner for Hurley I would have been estatic. With said players, we would have had in our possession two more top of the rotation options available to compete in forthcoming seasons.

Even if one suggests obtaining Castro wasn't feasible (which I doubt), McCarthy shouldn't have been delt unless our return package. I just don't like the idea of Danks being considered a lateral move by many around here. This trade, whether people are willing to admit it, may ultimately bury Williams in the forthcoming seasons if the results heavily favor Texas. Considering how trading McCarthy wasn't necessary, and Williams relied upon his scouts and personal observations to select a package of Danks/Massett/Rasner, the success of this trade should be vital in determining his future with this organization. That's about the definition of a franchise changing move.

You have to ask yourself this, as well -- if we're not intent on persuing FA pitchers, does a future rotation of Danks/Gonzalez/Broadway/Haegar/Floyd/Sisco/whomever compete with those within our division? How will a future 1-2 punch of Danks/Gonzalez match up against Sabathia/miller, Miller/Verlander or Liriano/Garza? As of now, I don't believe very well.

Because those 3 guys I put in bold are so proven. And Liriano might never be the same again.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 01:11 AM)
Maybe in 2009 or 10.

Santana will be gone around 2009 so Liriano will fit in just right.

To address your other point about Andrew Miller, Adam Miller, or Garza not proving anything yet in the majors, you're correct. However, just look at their most recent work (aside from Andrew) compared to Gonzalez and Danks. I'm too lazy to physically copy/paste, so here are the links:

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/D/John-Danks.shtml

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/G/Giovany-Gonzalez.shtml

to

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/M/Adam-Miller-2.shtml

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/G/Matt-Garza.shtml

--and Andrew Miller wasn't promoted to the Tigers one year out of college because he was terrible. His pure stuff speaks for itself.

Yeah, and I know Danks has shown the ability to adapt -- as well as pitch well in a hitters league -- but they're the only statistics available. Even if were to reasonably expect an improvement in Charlotte, would they compare to numbers produced by Adam Miller or Garza?

This is why I continually mention, often under criticism, the White Sox need a legitimate front line starter to emerge within the next few years if we want any hope of competing. This division is literally stacked which pitching talent. Whether I'm proven wrong and Danks or Gonzalez develop into aces I don't know. It just needs to be done, impossible or not.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 01:32 AM)
Flash I'm a little suprised you rate Fabio Castro so highly. Can you give me some thoughts on why that's the case, and why you prefer him over Gavin Floyd?

Even though his minor league statistics are hardly eye-popping, I'd prefer him over Floyd for several reasons: lefthanded arm with good fastball, absence of injuries, deceptive delivery.

Southpaws are obviously a preference within the division considering the various lefthanded power hitters.

What you have with Floyd is someone drafted high who gradually lost his fastball and his confidence. With Castro, perhaps you have a top flight starter. If not, you have one hell of a reliever.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 06:48 PM)
Even though his minor league statistics are hardly eye-popping, I'd prefer him over Floyd for several reasons: lefthanded arm with good fastball, absence of injuries, deceptive delivery.

Southpaws are obviously a preference within the division considering the various lefthanded power hitters.

What you have with Floyd is someone drafted high who gradually lost his fastball and his confidence. With Castro, perhaps you have a top flight starter. If not, you have one hell of a reliever.

Still I think you're overrating his value a little.

Remember he's a guy who made the jump from high A ball to the big leagues last season. And sure he may be injury free ATM, but with his build, is that definitely going to continue, I don't know.

Still his numbers with the Philly (albeit a small sample size) were impressive.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 01:28 AM)
This is why I continually mention, often under criticism, the White Sox need a legitimate front line starter to emerge within the next few years if we want any hope of competing. This division is literally stacked which pitching talent. Whether I'm proven wrong and Danks or Gonzalez develop into aces I don't know. It just needs to be done, impossible or not.

I agree completely. The minor league arms the Sox have remain pretty mediocre, IMO. They do have a lot more of them, but the Sox don't have anyone on a level with prospects like Hughes, Bailey, Pelfrey, Humber, Miller, Lofgren, Miller, Garza, Slowey, etc. It's possible that they don't even have anyone as good as McCarthy. That's not to say the Sox haven't improved their system. I'm sure a few of these prospects will turn out to be useful major league pitchers. But pretending someone like Floyd is a big step toward a great rotation of the future seems delusional.

People need to take performances in ST especially at the beginning with a grain of salt. Its about getting your work in, and working on new things. Especially pitchers. I have seen ST games where a pitcher will leave out their entire arsenal, just to work on throwing one pitch for a strike.