Home Crowd Advantage

Texsox

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which sport has the biggest home crowd advantage?

• Baseball
    • Basketball
    • Football
    • Hockey
    • Soccer

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 09:38 AM)
Let me ask you. Have you ever been to a soccer game with 90,000 people in the stadium, chanting and singing, with fireworks and flares going off? But I'm not going to go further with this, just stating my opinion. I don't want to be called an elitist or anything.

I've watched enough soccer to know what the crowds are like. Yes they are nuts, but they don't match the intensity of an indoor college basketball game.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 06:59 PM)
LOL@you

Why LOL@me? I'm not sitting here acting like I watch a whole lot of hockey games (I think the sport stinks), but I've seen enough and know enough to come to the conclusion that the overall atmosphere of a hockey game doesn't compare, or even come close, to that of a college basketball game. Especially an NCAA tourney game. I think football and baseball home crowds easily trump that of hockey, too.

Edited by Jordan4life_2007

The crowds are closest to the action in basketball. The arenas are smaller and the crowds are right on top of you, so to speak. Basketball is also fast paced, prone to heavy momentum swings. The crowd can most certainly affect those swings more so than an any other sport.

While fans at soccer games may be crazy, there is no comparison. Soccer would be more comparable to a playoff baseball game. Not enough people even care about hockey, so that shouldn't even be a part of the discussion.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 08:38 PM)
Let me ask you. Have you ever been to a soccer game with 90,000 people in the stadium, chanting and singing, with fireworks and flares going off? But I'm not going to go further with this, just stating my opinion. I don't want to be called an elitist or anything.

Then having the official make a call against the home team and soon 16 people are dead? That's a home field advantage you don't get in other sports, the possibility of hooligans taking over!

I have to agree soccer is it, with basketball a close second.

The dimensions at Comerica are built for a pitching team. The fences were moved in at the Cell when we had Valentin, Thomas, Ordonez, Lee, Konerko in the middle of our lineup. Houston opens and closes the roof. Baseball has the biggest home field advantage.

I read this question to be what it says, "home crowd advantage", as in: which sport does the crowd affect the most? For that reason, I went with basketball, since I think a crowd can completely change the way a team plays. If the question was meant as "home field advantage" though, I think its easily baseball, for the reasons whitesoxin' said.