Analyzing Erstad

StatManDu

BREAKING DOWN DARIN ERSTAD:

If you can beat him, sign him:

*Darin Erstad has hit better in U.S. Cellular Field than in any park in which he has played at least 10 games. … Erstad is hitting .353 with four home runs and 16 RBIs in 33 games with the Angels on Chicago’s Southside. In addition, he has a .387 on-base percentage and a .518 slugging percentage at the corner of 35th and Bill Veeck Drive. … The only other parks Erstad has better in are San Francisco’s 3 Com Park (.357) and AT & T Park (.364), Colorado’s Coors Field (.382), Arizona’s Chase Field (.520) and AT&T Park (.364). … Overall Erstad is hitting .334 with eight home runs and 47 RBIs lifetime against the White Sox. … His .334 average is his highest against any A.L. club.

Central issues

*Of all the American League Central teams he will be seeing this season, Erstad has hit Cleveland the best. In 71 games against the Tribe, Erstad has hit .313 with five home runs and 33 RBIs. The Indians and the Sox are the only A.L. teams Erstad has hit .300 against entering 2007. … Erstad is hitting .271 with three homers and 31 RBIs lifetime against Detroit, .264 with eight homers and 45 RBIs vs. KC and .291 with nine homers and 33 RBIs vs. Minnesota.

Central issues on the road

*Aside from U.S. Cellular Field, Erstad’s numbers in A.L. Central parks are kind of pedestrian. The left-handed hitter has had some success in Cleveland. Erstad is hitting .303 with three homers and 16 RBIs at the “Jake.” Other than that, though, it is a mediocre .269 with six homers and 28 RBIs at Kansas City, .261 with four homers and 13 RBIs at Minnesota and .263 with one homer and 12 RBIs at Detroit.

Give him plenty of PT before July 10

*Erstad has hit 35 points higher in the first half (before the All-Star break) than he has in the second half. … Erstad enters 2007 hitting .302 with 77 home runs and 393 RBIs in games before the All-Star Game. After the ASG, those numbers read: .265, 37, 232. … There is also a huge discrepancy in his stolen base numbers between the halves. In the first half, Erstad has 100 steals and a stolen base success rate of 78 percent. In the second half, Erstad has 70 steals with a stolen base success rate of 75 percent.

Watch out Pods

*If the Sox were going to play and bat Erstad where he has had the most statistical success, they would lead him off and play him in left field. … Of the nine positions in the batting order, Erstad has had the most overall success in the top spot, hitting .299 with 63 home runs and 277 RBIs in 526 games. He has hit for a higher average in the sixth spot but his homer and RBIs total are considerably better in the leadoff spot. … As for the field, Erstad has amassed a .306 average, the highest at any of the five positions he has played.

He’s No. 1

*Erstad was the first overall pick of the June 1996 draft by the Angels. He will become the eighth top overall choice in the June draft to play for the Sox. The others: Shawn Abner (1984 Mets); Tim Belcher (1983 Twins); Harold Baines (1977 White Sox); Floyd Bannister (1976 Mariners); Bill Almon (1974 Padres) and Ron Blomberg (1967 Yankees). … In addition, the Sox have also had connections with two other top overall picks in the June draft. Al Chambers (1979 Mariners) was in camp with the Sox in 1995 and Danny Goodwin, who was the top overall pick twice, once with the Angels in 1975 and once with the Sox in 1971.

Not bad in a pinch … or as a DH

*Erstad is hitting .450 with a .500 on-base percentage and .600 slugging percentage in 22 pinch-hitting appearances. … As a DH, Erstad has hit .321 with eight homers, 24 RBIs, a .368 on-base percentage and .484 slugging percentage.

Big (200) hitter

*Erstad had one of the all-time great seasons in 2000 when he banged out 240 hits. Only player has ever joined the White Sox with a better hit season to his credit. When Al Simmons was acquired by the Sox for the 1932 season, he had a 253-hit season to his credit. “Bucketfoot Al” collected that total for the 1925 A’s.

You think he likes the first pitch?

*Erstad is a career .326 hitter with 17 home runs and 92 RBIs with an empty count.

How about the clutch?

*With runners on, Erstad’s career average is .293 (.281 with the bags empty). … With runners in scoring position, Erstad’s average is .282. … With runners in scoring position and two outs, Erstad’s average is .254. … With the bases loaded, Erstad is a .307 career hitter with one grand slam.

Geography and numbers

*Erstad hails from Jamestown, North Dakota. He will be the first native of that state to play for the White Sox. … Erstad played collegiately at the Nebraska. Stan Bahnsen, who won 55 games between 1972 and 1975 for the Sox, is the only Sox player I could find who was a Cornhusker. … Erstad is slated to wear No. 17. Other recent Sox 17s: Ross Gload, Tony Graffanino, Mike Caruso, Dave Gallagher, Jerry Hairston, Marv Foley, Junior Moore, Oscar Gamble, Carlos May. An interesting sidenote: Carlos May was born on May 17 and is believed to be the only player in big league history to wear his birthday on his back.

QUOTE(Craig Grebeck @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You forgot to mention the fact he hasn't hit league average in the last six years.

In doing that digging, I was also alarmed at how well he did against the Sox and didn't have anywhere those kind of numbers against any other team. That begs the question: How is he going to fare now that he doesn't have Sox pitching to face anymore?

QUOTE(StatManDu @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 08:24 AM)
In doing that digging, I was also alarmed at how well he did against the Sox and didn't have anywhere those kind of numbers against any other team. That begs the question: How is he going to fare now that he doesn't have Sox pitching to face anymore?

The Sox will only play him against ex-Sox pitchers, at home, before the ASB, as leadoff, playing LF.

Edited by RME JICO

Can we make a SoxTalk rule that all offseason threads must be started by StatManDu? Clearly the most entertaining and thought-provoking threads in some time here on SoxTalk. Your facts and scouting reports are helping us all prepare for the regular season and feeding the passions of baseball/whitesox junkies. Much better than speculative polls over who will start opening day and debating trades over and over again. Thanks.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 05:29 PM)
it seems like some people just dont like him and no matter what he does, he will suck.

I don't think thats the case... its just many of the sox fans on here are BIG Brian Anderson supporters and they want him to succeed... What will possibily stunt Brian Anderson's growth? Erstad.

Don't get me wrong, i think its a great pick up by Kenny.. but this dude should come off the bench... if Brian continues to suck for the first 2 months of the season..than i would give Erstad the nod to finish the season out in CF.

Erstad when healthy is a proven winner.. he can only help us. And IMO this will only make Anderson better. Because this year unlike last year, he has to win and earn the job in spring training.

QUOTE(Beltin @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 10:23 AM)
Can we make a SoxTalk rule that all offseason threads must be started by StatManDu? Clearly the most entertaining and thought-provoking threads in some time here on SoxTalk. Your facts and scouting reports are helping us all prepare for the regular season and feeding the passions of baseball/whitesox junkies. Much better than speculative polls over who will start opening day and debating trades over and over again. Thanks.

....ahhhh, get a room....

:P :lol:

QUOTE(Friend of Nordhagen @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's because your intelligence and research capabilities are a threat to the linear-thinkers who run that board. Welcome.

I have been a contributor to the White Sox Dept. of Scoreboard Operations since 1984. Surprise! I do a ton of research and writing for them. All of the stats that flash when a batter comes up is my work. Daily trivia, farm notes and the "White Sox Almanac" on the black and white board, that is my work.

I am a seasonal employee -- not full time as are most of my colleagues. I work about 50 games a year because I have a fulltime job that -- boo! -- has to take priority occasionally. Much of the material I have for my blog is already written because of my work with the Sox.

I love the work. I love the people I work with -- and that includes Gene Honda and Nancy Faust. My boss is one of the great people on this earth. The White Sox Dept. of Scoreboard Operations has been the springboard to great things both on and off the field for people. It is a great place to work. It is a tremendous, professional crew. The White Sox have been very good to me in giving me freedom to just research and display.

I'll just keep them coming!