KW on Mike North

retro1983hat

Talking about 5th starter possibilities.

Says how he's not worried about AJP, even though he has been chirpping about Toby Hall taking ABs away from him.

Not worried about his veteran ball club.

Honeymoon over from 2005.

Says he is not afraid of any deal.

Says Erstad is extremely healthy.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 08:48 AM)
Even though he didn't say this in exact words, KW basically inferred that if the Nats would have taken McCarthy straight up for Soriano, he would have pulled the trigger on the trade.

He did no such thing. He said that last seasons rumors of the Nats trading Soriano for player X were false and that he would not hesitate to make any deal if he thought it would help the ballclub win.

QUOTE(U can putitontheboarrrrd...YES @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 03:08 PM)
He did no such thing. He said that last seasons rumors of the Nats trading Soriano for player X were false and that he would not hesitate to make any deal if he thought it would help the ballclub win.

You could tell exactly what he was saying about the trade, and that how he sometimes have to respond when certain trade rumors are not accurate (in this case, he said he's not someone who's afraid to pull the trigger on a trade). I actually heard a similar story about what went down with the Nationals, and that they were asking for a lot more than just McCarthy for Soriano. They were asking for McCarthy, Broadway, and Fields.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
You could tell exactly what he was saying about the trade, and that how he sometimes have to respond when certain trade rumors are not accurate (in this case, he said he's not someone who's afraid to pull the trigger on a trade). I actually heard a similar story about what went down with the Nationals, and that they were asking for a lot more than just McCarthy for Soriano. They were asking for McCarthy, Broadway, and Fields.

That would have been the worst trade of all-time.

QUOTE(Beltin @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 03:48 PM)
They got the Cubs' draft picks. At 96 losses for the Cubs and another 91 for the Nationals, that should equate to a competitive team 5 or so years from now.

Compared to the type of prospects they could have received for Soriano, those draft picks are mediocre. It's too bad we don't have any toolsy outfielders, as we could have gotten Soriano easily from Bowden.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 09:50 AM)
Compared to the type of prospects they could have received for Soriano, those draft picks are mediocre. It's too bad we don't have any toolsy outfielders, as we could have gotten Soriano easily from Bowden.

I forgot my green ink. Sorry. I agree that the Nats were foolish to sit on Soriano and now have to rely on their scouting department to turn those drafts picks into gold.

QUOTE(Beltin @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 03:41 PM)
Really? How does that work out? The Nats weren't far behind in the suck department. I would think they should be compensated for the loss.

Nats picks

The New York Yankees re-signed LHRP Ron Villone to a minor league deal removing the last “compensation”-able free agent from the market. The Washington Nationals will have the following selections in the 2007 First Year Player Draft:

* #6: Their own 1st round selection

* #31: Supplemental 1st round selection for Alfonso Soriano

* #49: Supplemental 1st round selection for Jose Guillen

* #68: Chicago Cubs 2nd round selection (for Alfonso Soriano)

* #71, 101, 131, etc: Their own 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc round selections

The #68 and subsequent selection can be moved up one space once the Arizona Diamondbacks sign 2006 first rounder (at #11) Max Scherzer. From all reports, it isn’t a matter of if but when. That would set the Nationals as follows:

* #6: Their own 1st round selection

* #31: Supplemental 1st round selection for Alfonso Soriano

* #49: Supplemental 1st round selection for Jose Guillen

* #67: Chicago Cubs 2nd round selection (for Alfonso Soriano)

* #70, 100, 130, etc: Their own 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc round selections

QUOTE(U can putitontheboarrrrd...YES @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 09:08 AM)

I am sure he inferred that, if not said it altogether. He said the same exact thing during one of the seminars at SoxFest. What A LOT of the "analysts" never understood was that the trade was NEVER Soriano for B-Mac straight up....I think it was Fields and Broadway included as well, which would have been an incredibly s***ty trade.