Olney mentions Buehrle trade to the Mets

harfman77

In his blog Olney mentions that the Mets have their rotation in bad shape and will likely try to make a trade at midseason. He says that depending on the standings they will try to make a deal and mentions MB, Jason Jennings, and Jake Westbrook as targets. Says that they will try to use Milledge as bait to reel in a starter, but doubts that will be enough with the premium on pitching in the current market. I guess he is implying that the Astros Indians and Sox will be out of contention and the Mets still will be contending, something I don't really buy.

But if that were to happen, I would be all for a deal that would net us something like Milledge, Fernando Martinez and Mike Carp.

I would obviously take Deolis Guerra over Carp but that is a little to pie in the sky, although he is pretty far away yet and could be included instead. If KW is to deal any players this season I think he needs to get some more talented posistion players in the system since our top position prospects will likely be in the bigs next season.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index...me=olney_buster

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 05:35 PM)
In his blog Olney mentions that the Mets have their rotation in bad shape and will likely try to make a trade at midseason. He says that depending on the standings they will try to make a deal and mentions MB, Jason Jennings, and Jake Westbrook as targets. Says that they will try to use Milledge as bait to reel in a starter, but doubts that will be enough with the premium on pitching in the current market. I guess he is implying that the Astros Indians and Sox will be out of contention and the Mets still will be contending, something I don't really buy.

But if that were to happen, I would be all for a deal that would net us something like Milledge, Fernando Martinez and Mike Carp.

I would obviously take Deolis Guerra over Carp but that is a little to pie in the sky, although he is pretty far away yet and could be included instead. If KW is to deal any players this season I think he needs to get some more talented posistion players in the system since our top position prospects will likely be in the bigs next season.

I dont know... we did trade Freddy for Gavin Floyd.. I thought we could have gotten a bunch more in return for a top of the rotation starter and proven winner such as Freddy with the current market exploding like it is. Who knows what Kenny will do w/ Buerhle at this point.

even he isn't buying it considering he declared the indians his al favorite this morning.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 04:39 AM)
I dont know... we did trade Freddy for Gavin Floyd.. I thought we could have gotten a bunch more in return for a top of the rotation starter and proven winner such as Freddy with the current market exploding like it is. Who knows what Kenny will do w/ Buerhle at this point.

Don't forget Gio in that deal. He's the more valuable commodity out of the 2.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 05:08 PM)
:lol:

The METS?? With that pitching staff? Trading for talent at the break? They'll be DUMPING talent at the break as they settle into a last place battle with the Nats.

Braves, Philly and Marlins are all better than the Mets. Buster. What a douche.

are you serious? they have the best lineup in the game...

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 06:08 PM)
:lol:

The METS?? With that pitching staff? Trading for talent at the break? They'll be DUMPING talent at the break as they settle into a last place battle with the Nats.

Braves, Philly and Marlins are all better than the Mets. Buster. What a douche.

It's going to be a helluva race in the NL East. However, it is the Mets, and they will not be dumping anytime soon. They're in win-now mode.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 04:54 PM)
Don't forget Gio in that deal. He's the more valuable commodity out of the 2.

Thank You for stating this. So many people are getting caught up in the hatred of the deal to realize that Floyd was the throw in. Gio is the one KW really wanted. In order to get someone like Gio, KW had to tkae a lesser player if they had MLB experience.

I'm still not as down on Floyd as most people here. My friends who saw him pitch said his stuff improved towards the end of the year and in the AFL and I think he will be a decent starter.

im so sick of non=believers.

THe sox are destined to play in the Series, they will be leading the division all year, like in 05.

Rumours of trades in feb, about when were not in contention, make me puke.!!!

shut up media, the Sox are the real deal- they are the GAME.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 07:46 PM)
Pitching, especially in the NL, is a premium for winning, and the Mets just don't have it. How old is Glavine anyway?

They had the best record in the NL with basically the same collection of crap last year, outside of Pedro for 23 starts of mediocrity. Plus the defending champs kind of posted a 4.54 ERA last year...

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 11:48 AM)
ESPN does this now and then... "nothing new to report, so we'll make some completely baseless rumors up that make no sense, but makes the Mets, Yankees or Red Sox better so their fans will continue to read"

They can't even make accurate trade predictions at the trade deadline. Am I supposed to believe that they can predict trades six months away?

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 07:46 PM)
Pitching, especially in the NL, is a premium for winning, and the Mets just don't have it. How old is Glavine anyway?

he's still effective. and who knows, Perez might pull something out of his ass, John Maine is pretty good and Mike Pelfrey's gonna be the s*** - whoever they put in their pitching staff isn't going to offset their AMAZING lineup so badly that they're out of contention

QUOTE(soxwon @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 06:20 PM)
im so sick of non=believers.

THe sox are destined to play in the Series, they will be leading the division all year, like in 05.

Rumours of trades in feb, about when were not in contention, make me puke.!!!

shut up media, the Sox are the real deal- they are the GAME.

Nationally the Sox have actually been getting decent press going into the season. People recognize this is likely the toughest division in the AL, but point to the fact that the Sox had 90 wins last year and will be in the race. I think a lot will end up picking Cleveland for the 3rd straight year, but Sox will be up there.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 02:39 PM)
I dont know... we did trade Freddy for Gavin Floyd..

hey, don't forget about gio! but seriously, don't we have enough OF prospects? I realize that lastings milledge might be the best of them but if we're going to shop buehrle i'd rather fill a position of need in Charlotte or the majors. like, for instance, any infield spot but 3b.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 11:39 AM)

trade market ≠ free agent market

It's been discussed on the board before, but teams would rather throw 8 digit figures at a mediocre starting pitcher on the free agent market for multiple years rather than give up prospects for a pitcher along with then having to resign said pitcher for an 8 digit figure.

And regardless, the White Sox got a former #1 prospect along with a top 5 prospect too. It's not like the Sox got no one, and seeing as how the Sox would have just let Freddy go after this season anyways, they basically got their 2 compensatory picks, one of whom will pitch in the majors this year and another who will pitch come 2008-09.