Studies: immigrants lead to rising wages, less jail time

Balta1701

I dunno, maybe I'm in a "Thank you sir may I have another!" kinda mood today, but here's some more gasoline to toss on filibuster fires today.

2 different studies regarding illegal immigration and its effects on America have come out in the last week, based on U.S. Census data, with some fairly surprising results.

First, a study by a UC Davis researcher found that the current immigration status has actually had the effect of pushing the wages of native-born Americans Upwards, instead of downwards.

A study released Tuesday by the Public Policy Institute of California found that immigrants who arrived in the state between 1990 and 2004 increased wages for native workers by an average 4%.

UC Davis economist Giovanni Peri, who conducted the study, said the benefits were shared by all native-born workers, from high school dropouts to college graduates, because immigrants generally perform complementary rather than competitive work.

As immigrants filled lower-skilled jobs, they pushed natives up the economic ladder into employment that required more English or know-how of the U.S. system, he said.

The article does present some objectiosn, and the study author's counter to those objections as well.

And secondly, a different study by a UC Irvine Sociologist found that illegal immigrants currently have a much lower incarceration rate than virtually any other native born group of Americans.

Another study released Monday by the Washington-based Immigration Policy Center showed that immigrant men ages 18 to 39 had an incarceration rate five times lower than native-born citizens in every ethnic group examined. Among men of Mexican descent, for instance, 0.7% of those foreign-born were incarcerated compared to 5.9% of native-born, according to the study, co-written by UC Irvine sociologist Ruben G. Rumbaut.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 12:50 PM)
And secondly, a different study by a UC Irvine Sociologist found that illegal immigrants currently have a much lower incarceration rate than virtually any other native born group of Americans.

just reading this, my gut reaction is those numbers COULD be skewed a little. I know in my county, an illegal is picked up for say, driving with a license never issued, they're put through our jail system, and Immigration puts a hold on them. We see that and the Judge sees that. So, here you have a person, who you can give a ton of time, they sit, and then are likely deported, or you can give them fines and court costs that they'll never pay.

Some judges are inclined to give them time served, which often is less than a person who would be released as an American citizen. That way, they can be turned over to immigration quicker and that process can start.

Again, this is my first impression scanning this article, there is a chance I misread something, but that is one possible reason for these numbers

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 11:50 AM)

Illegal immigrants are particularly skilled at digging under, climbing over, and cutting through all types of fences. Hence, the lower than expect incarceration rate.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 12:50 PM)
I dunno, maybe I'm in a "Thank you sir may I have another!" kinda mood today, but here's some more gasoline to toss on filibuster fires today.

2 different studies regarding illegal immigration and its effects on America have come out in the last week, based on U.S. Census data, with some fairly surprising results.

First, a study by a UC Davis researcher found that the current immigration status has actually had the effect of pushing the wages of native-born Americans Upwards, instead of downwards.

The article does present some objectiosn, and the study author's counter to those objections as well.

The rising wages should be expected - its one of the good side effects of immigrants coming in and doing manual labor jobs that are better for them than in Mexico, but somewhat lower on the desire scale for natives. It also lowers cost of things like housing construction. But, let's be clear - that has little to do with their being here illegally. You could see that same positive effect and then some, if we just adjusted our immigration laws to match the economic realities.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 11:04 AM)
You could see that same positive effect and then some, if we just adjusted our immigration laws to match the economic realities.

To my eyes, this data, if correct, would be much more an argument against the "Kick them all out" philosophy that a significant minority of the U.S. seems to espouse, rather than an argument against fixing the laws so as to allow them to be here but in some sort of legal fashion.

Two big "Duh's" here

Of course illegal's incarcerations rates are lower, they send them home, not jail, if they commit a low level crime, and they are caught. Its cheaper than the local municipalities incarcerating them. Also the incentive is to stay out of trouble so that they can stay here, not to get into trouble so their families who are depending on their income back home don't suffer.

#2 if you give all of the lowest level jobs to immigrants it means that if a person is going to get a job, it is going to be a higher paying job, or nothing. This is borne out by the missing paragraph...

And, by examining only wage effects, the study failed to address the declining percentage of native-born adults working in California, Camarota said. Their share of the workforce declined from 65% in 2000 to 62% in 2005, one of the lowest in the country, which could be caused by competition from immigrants, he said.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 01:10 PM)
To my eyes, this data, if correct, would be much more an argument against the "Kick them all out" philosophy that a significant minority of the U.S. seems to espouse, rather than an argument against fixing the laws so as to allow them to be here but in some sort of legal fashion.

Well that is the part that goes beyond economics. I don't think people should be allowed to stay who got in illegally, because there are non-monetary risks to their presence here, for them and for everyone else.

But I do think the end result should be to allow as many in as there are jobs, and have them all here documented and legally, with all the protections that go along.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 01:00 PM)
Illegal immigrants are particularly skilled at digging under, climbing over, and cutting through all types of fences. Hence, the lower than expect incarceration rate.

Actually knowing that an arrest will usually lead to a US Government all-expensed paid trip back home, has them not committing crimes and not reporting any as well. They are usually victims far more often then not.