Cuban set to offer 625 mil to buy Cubs

rangercal

Rotoworld:

According to Radar Online, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is set to offer $625 million to buy the Cubs.

The Cubs have been rumored to be on the block -- the winter's spending spree only fueled speculation that they might be up for bids -- and it's believed Cuban tried to buy the Pirates previously. Still, even if Cuban is willing to overpay, he's likely to have a hard time landing a team. Baseball's other owners aren't going to want to approve someone they know will rock the boat.

Now how would he run both franchises when their schedules overlap each other. BTW; http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi...story?track=rss

Cuban shoots down report he's set to bid for Cubs

By Phil Rosenthal

Tribune media columnist

Published February 28, 2007, 3:59 PM CST

The Cubs are not about to become Cuban's, contrary to an Internet report.

Mark Cuban, the billionaire blogger, entrepreneur and owner of pro basketball's Dallas Mavericks, on Wednesday shot down a Radar Online report that said he is "is set to offer $625 million to buy the Chicago Cubs from Tribune Co."

"Not true," Cuban said by e-mail.

Radar quoted "a source familiar with the matter" as saying Cuban is "desperate to buy the Cubs" and "wants this so bad." It said it got no response from Cuban, who responded to a Chicago Tribune inquiry concerning the report in less than 15 minutes.

"I have no idea where they got their info," Cuban said.

Tribune Co., which owns the Cubs, the Chicago Tribune and other media properties, is currently exploring options to boost shareholder value.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 10:51 PM)
With his ego I don't think he'll be happy when he can't be at both a cubs and Mavs game in the same day.

So, he misses a couple of early games in the freezing urinal.

It's not like he has to worry about missing any Mavs games in October.

Let me go on record and say this. If Mark Cuban buys an MLB team, it will be one with a ton of unrealized value it in. He is not going to purchase a team that has topped out in its value. As a matter of a fact, the perfect team to connect him to would be the Pirates. They are run down, low budget, and cheap. If he were to go in there and work his magic like he did with the Mavs (I don't know how many of you are old enough to remember how low Dallas was back then) he could easily double to triple the value of his hometown baseball franchise. He would be a hero there.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 07:31 AM)
Let me go on record and say this. If Mark Cuban buys an MLB team, it will be one with a ton of unrealized value it in. He is not going to purchase a team that has topped out in its value. As a matter of a fact, the perfect team to connect him to would be the Pirates. They are run down, low budget, and cheap. If he were to go in there and work his magic like he did with the Mavs (I don't know how many of you are old enough to remember how low Dallas was back then) he could easily double to triple the value of his hometown baseball franchise. He would be a hero there.

Cut it out, Mike!

All this sense-talking in a Cubbie thread?

What are ya....GOOFY??

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 11:36 AM)
I believe he is from Pittsburgh also.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 12:27 PM)
I will second that, i believe you're right.

I'll first that!

:ph34r:

:cheers

He bought the team that was available. An alternate theory would have him buying a team that seemingly could never win a world series and do it with them, cementing him permanently in the annals of history. You are seeing his next team as a business venture, I believe he'd be smelling history and it is more breathtaking and heady winning with the Cubs v. winning one with the Pirates.

But the Pirates and the home town angle is excellent as well. So I guess I am saying he'll buy the team that is available and makes sense in some area when he's primed to do so.

Unrealized value in MLB terms largely means "in need of a new stadium." Current owners are all following Bud's master plan of publicly financed stadiums that double or triple a franchises value, then selling for their profit.

Pittsburgh has a brand new stadium considered one of the best in the game.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 03:47 PM)
Unrealized value in MLB terms largely means "in need of a new stadium." Current owners are all following Bud's master plan of publicly financed stadiums that double or triple a franchises value, then selling for their profit.

Pittsburgh has a brand new stadium considered one of the best in the game.

Unrealized value is also found in a team that is drawing about 1/3 of capacity, not selling nearly as much advertising as possible, doesn't have as big of a TV contract as possible etc. You gotta get people interested in the product, no matter how good the place is to see it. No one sees games in Pittsburgh anymore.