Jenks Injured

Harry Chappas

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 11:24 PM)
FWIW, Ozzie and the coaching staff was aware before the game that Jenks was having shoulder tightness.

Well, before anyone gets nailed up on post for having Jenks pitch, "tightness" is a pretty vague description. I think it's hard to know what's going on in a pitcher's arm (even with MRIs, people often make mistakes). It's possible that it is just muscle soreness/stiffness that will improve, and in that case having Jenks throw I don't think is that bad.

Of course, as a Sox fan, I'm bracing for the news that he's lost for the season.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 05:34 AM)
Well, before anyone gets nailed up on post for having Jenks pitch, "tightness" is a pretty vague description. I think it's hard to know what's going on in a pitcher's arm (even with MRIs, people often make mistakes). It's possible that it is just muscle soreness/stiffness that will improve, and in that case having Jenks throw I don't think is that bad.

Of course, as a Sox fan, I'm bracing for the news that he's lost for the season.

No matter what team, pitcher, or manager we're talking about, if the player has as much difficulty getting loose before pitching as Jenks describes as having, they shouldn't be on the mound. I'd really like to know what the training regimen Jenks was on, as flexibility is usually one of the things stressed for pitchers offseason.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 11:30 PM)
Give Bobby 2 weeks off... do some stretching..have him throw a few innings see how he feels.. if he's comfortable, then we will be good to go. I'm hoping and praying for da best. W/O Jenks we are in big trouble.

Actually, without Jenks the Sox are in better shape than most teams would be. MacDougal really isn't a bad pitcher, and he could slide into the closer role (he's done it before -- he's a "proven closer"). Losing Jenks would be a blow, and would thin out the bullpen significantly, unless Masset is everything Williams thinks he is. But at least there's a reasonably competent replacement.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 05:39 AM)
Actually, without Jenks the Sox are in better shape than most teams would be. MacDougal really isn't a bad pitcher, and he could slide into the closer role (he's done it before -- he's a "proven closer"). Losing Jenks would be a blow, and would thin out the bullpen significantly, unless Masset is everything Williams thinks he is. But at least there's a reasonably competent replacement.

I agree, closer is actually one of the positions where we would have depth at.

I was talking to a former minor leaguer tonight and he said tightness is common in the spring.

I'm not saying Bobby isn't really hurting and could be out a while, but this guy laughed when I expressed

concern and said tightness is no big deal.

For what it's worth anyway.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 02:30 AM)
Give Bobby 2 weeks off... do some stretching..have him throw a few innings see how he feels.. if he's comfortable, then we will be good to go. I'm hoping and praying for da best. W/O Jenks we are in big trouble.

not that i necessarily disagree, but i think with the number of power arms in our bullpen, we could survive. MacDougal closed (albeit for the royals, and not with great success) and Thornton probably could if asked to. In any case, I think it's worth giving Jenks some time off but I won't panic if he's not available 100% of the time.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 12:24 AM)
I was talking to a former minor leaguer tonight and he said tightness is common in the spring.

I'm not saying Bobby isn't really hurting and could be out a while, but this guy laughed when I expressed

concern and said tightness is no big deal.

For what it's worth anyway.

If its no big deal and alright to send him to the mound with, why was Herm called to the mound, and Jenks lifted after 10 pitches? The other problem with having him pitch with shoulder tightness is he will compensate and may put more stress on the screw in his elbow.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 01:09 PM)
If its no big deal and alright to send him to the mound with, why was Herm called to the mound, and Jenks lifted after 10 pitches? The other problem with having him pitch with shoulder tightness is he will compensate and may put more stress on the screw in his elbow.

Because it's spring training and you don't take a chance?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 07:22 AM)
Because it's spring training and you don't take a chance?

That's my point. Why, if they knew about this problem to begin with, did they take a chance with the 10 pitches? I hope this is minor, but I think its awfully presumptious to think its nothing.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 07:09 AM)

The only way to get through "tightness" is to throw and loosen it up. No amount of stretching will totally take care of it. As a MLB pitcher when you throw you routinely put your shoulder through 160-200 degrees of external rotation. This is equivalent to while standing with your arm out to the side, rotate your arm backward so the thumb is pointing straight down to the ground. Most normal people can't do this. But this is the range pitcher's need. So throwing until the arm lossens up is the best way to do this. Rest is not the correct option to correct this.

This doesn't need to and probably shouldn't be done in a game situation. They probably just wanted to test him out and will now have him throw on the side until it improves. As you saud earlier you don't want to add stress to other parts of the arm. A shoulder problem can easily add stress to the elbow or visa versa. I hope it's not an elbow problem which is causing the weird mechanics he is describing which is causing an alteration of shoulder motion.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 10:40 AM)
AJ's ankle, Floyd's ankle, Pods groin, Jenks shoulder...I'm not feeling real good about this start to spring training. I hope its not an omen. *knocking on wood*

just make sure it's not Kerry, that guy has some bad luck!

I heard Bobby on ESPN radio this morning (it was probably a clip from yesterday) and he said there are no plans on changing his schedule, he will continue to throw when he was scheduled to throw.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 09:05 AM)
The only way to get through "tightness" is to throw and loosen it up. No amount of stretching will totally take care of it. As a MLB pitcher when you throw you routinely put your shoulder through 160-200 degrees of external rotation. This is equivalent to while standing with your arm out to the side, rotate your arm backward so the thumb is pointing straight down to the ground. Most normal people can't do this. But this is the range pitcher's need. So throwing until the arm lossens up is the best way to do this. Rest is not the correct option to correct this.

This doesn't need to and probably shouldn't be done in a game situation. They probably just wanted to test him out and will now have him throw on the side until it improves. As you saud earlier you don't want to add stress to other parts of the arm. A shoulder problem can easily add stress to the elbow or visa versa. I hope it's not an elbow problem which is causing the weird mechanics he is describing which is causing an alteration of shoulder motion.

Anybody else try the thumb test above and then look at ptatc's avatar and go "Oh s***!!"

anyway, informative post dude. thanks!

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 12:24 PM)
Anybody else try the thumb test above and then look at ptatc's avatar and go "Oh s***!!"

I tried it. I could only get it to close to the 5 o'clock position.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 03:24 PM)

i can do it! hurray! but i'm also a multiple-double-jointed freakshow.