For what's it's worth ...

YASNY

If these quotes have been posted already, I apologize. But, I don't recall seeing them. These all refer to possible trading scenarios.

If you're the Florida Marlins or Chicago White Sox, you want to give what you thought were going to be competitive teams a few more weeks to make a more definitive judgment on whether they're in or out.

Chicago White Sox. Winning the first two games of the Cubs series, following a four-game series with Boston that they should have swept, kept the White Sox believing that now that Mark Buehrle's won two in a row and if Paul Konerko and others start hitting consistently, they can get closer than the eight games they presently trail Oakland, the wild-card leader. "For the White Sox and Marlins, it's not only the number of games they're out, but the number of teams in front of them," one AL GM said. "But they figure all those games within their division gives them hope." If not, Colon, Tom Gordon, Carlos Lee, et al could be available if owner Jerry Reinsdorf decides it's time to cash in the 2003 chips.

And this one I thought was most interesting. Bidding war?

Everyone this side of Crete knows the Red Sox, Yankees and others will line up for Colon

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If these quotes have been posted already, I apologize.  But, I don't recall seeing them.  These all refer to possible trading scenarios.

If you're the Florida Marlins or Chicago White Sox, you want to give what you thought were going to be competitive teams a few more weeks to make a more definitive judgment on whether they're in or out.

Wow thanks Mr Obvious your a life saver.

BTW I just reread this, and that was for Peter Gammons and not Yas, sorry if that wasn't too obvious ;)

Edited by southsider2k3

If these quotes have been posted already, I apologize.  But, I don't recall seeing them.  These all refer to possible trading scenarios.

Southsider, that will be enough of the Bob & Tom references. Can't get them here in Bama!

Southsider, that will be enough of the Bob & Tom references. Can't get them here in Bama!

Just a taste of home again, huh. I used to love them when I was in college, but can't get them up here by Chicago. The Mr Obvious show was the best. BTW most of the Bob and Tom stuff is downloadable off of Kazaa, if you have it.

Gammons also picked Billy Botch as a reliever he wouldn't trust. Wow! He gets money for that analysis. 100 of us sit and give that same insightfull analysis for free and months earlier  ;)

This is probably where Gamons gets his material. I doubt if he knows much about baseball outside Beantown.

Imagine! Bidding wars between the Yanks and Red Sox! Imagine what we could get from those 2 teams! WOW!

Colon

Lee

to Yanks for

A starter

Mondesi

Prospect

Colon

Lee

to BoSox for

Manny? :headbang (I wish)

This is probably where Gamons gets his material. I doubt if he knows much about baseball outside Beantown.

Gammons is only concerned with the Big Market teams, the only small market team he actually likes is the Twins, that after they won the division last year.

I don't care for Gammons at all, like most Baseball experts he will bash the Sox any time he possibly can.

CWSOX45

Gammons is only concerned with the Big Market teams, the only small market team he actually likes is the Twins, that after they won the division last year.

I don't care for Gammons at all, like most Baseball experts he will bash the Sox any time he possibly can.

CWSOX45

And we make it so easy for him . . .

I'm in the minority here. I like Gammons and think he is very fair. Sure he talks about the bigger market teams and the teams that are winning more because he is broadcast nationally and has to appeal to the most people. Why do you think the Yankees are on TV so much? Same principle.

Gammons knows his stuff and is more connected than anyone in the media. GM's and baseball insiders trust Gammons and give him info they wouldn't normally give everyone else.

Man, I hate to be the guy on the other side here, but I don't see any national media bias against the Sox. The national media don't "bash the Sox every chance they get". I have found the national media to be very fair about the Sox. When they made the moves in the off-season, the Sox were applauded for the moves. Gammons said the Sox should be improved, but still had holes. Everyone crucified him for that, but guess what..... HE WAS RIGHT. It's not the world against the Sox people.

Where do you think Luis Castillo will be headed?

Thats a real tough one.

-Chicago Cubs would probably be the frontrunners in my mind, if the asking price for Lowell is too much

-Giants have no need for a second baseman (Durham is having a very good year)

-Cardinals could use a 2nd baseman with Vina down (So he's a possibility; Cardinals don't have much to offer though)

-Boston doesn't need an infielder

-Yanks don't need an infielder (Plus Boston isn't after him)

-Dodgers aren't desperate in that area, but a small possibility (Only if they'd unload him for very cheap

-Oakland A's are a definate possibility; Bean is more then willing to acquire guys for half a season, let em walk, and get the compensation

-Twinkies don't have a real need at 2nd, although Castillo would be a hell of a pickup.

-Mariners and Angels have no need in that area (Boone and Kennedy aren't going anywhere)

-Could be an outside shot that the Cinncinatti Reds would go after him, but they don't need hitting, they need pitching.

-Houston Astros and Arizona Diamond Backs don't need hitting.

That pretty much covers all the teams in competition, so I don't know if there will be a ton of interest in him. His value may actually slide, if their is a lack of a bidding war.

I'm in the minority here.  I like Gammons and think he is very fair.  Sure he talks about the bigger market teams and the teams that are winning more because he is broadcast nationally and has to appeal to the most people.  Why do you think the Yankees are on TV so much?  Same principle.

Gammons knows his stuff and is more connected than anyone in the media.  GM's and baseball insiders trust Gammons and give him info they wouldn't normally give everyone else.

Man, I hate to be the guy on the other side here, but I don't see any national media bias against the Sox.  The national media don't "bash the Sox every chance they get".  I have found the national media to be very fair about the Sox.  When they made the moves in the off-season, the Sox were applauded for the moves.  Gammons said the Sox should be improved, but still had holes.  Everyone crucified him for that, but guess what.....  HE WAS RIGHT.  It's not the world against the Sox people.

For the most part i agree with that and i see no reason for the national media to bash the sox...baseball tonight analysts have always left the door open for a sox run at the division and stuff and don't really bash em more than any other team.

I'm in the minority here.  I like Gammons and think he is very fair.  Sure he talks about the bigger market teams and the teams that are winning more because he is broadcast nationally and has to appeal to the most people.  Why do you think the Yankees are on TV so much?  Same principle.

Gammons knows his stuff and is more connected than anyone in the media.  GM's and baseball insiders trust Gammons and give him info they wouldn't normally give everyone else.

Man, I hate to be the guy on the other side here, but I don't see any national media bias against the Sox.  The national media don't "bash the Sox every chance they get".  I have found the national media to be very fair about the Sox.  When they made the moves in the off-season, the Sox were applauded for the moves.  Gammons said the Sox should be improved, but still had holes.  Everyone crucified him for that, but guess what.....  HE WAS RIGHT.  It's not the world against the Sox people.

For the most part i agree with that and i see no reason for the national media to bash the sox...baseball tonight analysts have always left the door open for a sox run at the division and stuff and don't really bash em more than any other team.

I tend to agree with that area.

I just laughed last night when Gammons said Torre will either retire to Hawaii at the end of the season, or go manage the Red Sox.

Thats a real tough one. 

-Chicago Cubs would probably be the frontrunners in my mind, if the asking price for Lowell is too much

-Giants have no need for a second baseman (Durham is having a very good year)

-Cardinals could use a 2nd baseman with Vina down (So he's a possibility; Cardinals don't have much to offer though)

-Boston doesn't need an infielder

-Yanks don't need an infielder (Plus Boston isn't after him)

-Dodgers aren't desperate in that area, but a small possibility (Only if they'd unload him for very cheap

-Oakland A's are a definate possibility; Bean is more then willing to acquire guys for half a season, let em walk, and get the compensation

-Twinkies don't have a real need at 2nd, although Castillo would be a hell of a pickup. 

-Mariners and Angels have no need in that area (Boone and Kennedy aren't going anywhere)

-Could be an outside shot that the Cinncinatti Reds would go after him, but they don't need hitting, they need pitching. 

-Houston Astros and Arizona Diamond Backs don't need hitting. 

That pretty much covers all the teams in competition, so I don't know if there will be a ton of interest in him.  His value may actually slide, if their is a lack of a bidding war.

I was gonna say the frontrunners were Cards and A's. I am basing my Cards call on a hunch that Vina won't be himself after he gets back from this injury anyway...and i don't think he does a good enough job at the top of that order.

The reds were rumored to be after Alomar i believe...but i just don't think that deal would make much sense from where they are as a franchise. Besides, pitching is their overwhelming #1 need

I think Alomar would produce decent numbers if he gets out of Shea and that situation with the Mets...but i wouldn't overpay for the guy, he's definitely on the way down.

Ive gotta agree with Rex here! BTW, Koch This, Castillo isnt going anywhere.

The Sox need to add a CF (Pierre)

The Sox need to add a 2B/SS (Sanchez)

The Sox need to add a RP/SP

The Sox need to lose Rowand

The Sox need to lose Valentin

The Sox need to lose Jimenez

The Sox need to get some good players for Colon (From the Yanks or BoSox)

My Idea:

Sox trade:

Rowand

Valentin

Lee

Colon

BoSox Trade:

Sanchez

Shiell

Nixon

Cash

Ive gotta agree with Rex here! BTW, Koch This, Castillo isnt going anywhere.

The Sox need to add a CF (Pierre)

The Sox need to add a 2B/SS (Sanchez)

The Sox need to add a RP/SP

The Sox need to lose Rowand

The Sox need to lose Valentin

The Sox need to lose Jimenez

The Sox need to get some good players for Colon (From the Yanks or BoSox)

My Idea:

Sox trade:

Rowand

Valentin

Lee

Colon

BoSox Trade:

Sanchez

Shiell

Nixon

Cash

Castillo certainly could go somewhere, unless you have info i don't know about...or the Marlins start contending. That's like saying Mike Lowell isn't going anywhere. Why do you think that's the case?

Every team would love to have a guy like Castillo but the catches are:

The asking price

and

his salary

Good point, but a contending team would take on salary for the end of the year to make a run at a championship, that's why i think the Cards are a solid option if Vina doesn't return to form.

The amount of salary added would be miniscal considering its the end of the year and you only have him for the stretch run.

Teams like the Cardinals, Red Sox, Yankees, and even A's are almost always willing to add payroll late in the season. In the A's case, I think Beane figures in some late acquisitions usually.

Plus Castillo is one of the top 2nd baseman in baseball (Right behind Soriano) and that alone should command something in return.

I'm unaware of their asking price of Castillo, but I'd have to think it would be less then Lowell who they are asking a ransom for. I think whoever acquires Castillo will be getting a steal, because I don't think the teams bidding on him are going to have a ton of guys to offer or will be the A's who tend to win a lot of trades, while the Cubs are very leery on giving guys up.

Heck, I could see the Sox getting Castillo for Jimenez and Rauch and possibly a throw in. And in all honesty, I wouldn't be against it if they could sign Castillo for a reasonable contract (Something around what Jose made the past few years). This would be difficult to do, but I Think with salaries falling you got a shot. Only if they could sign him to a reasonable deal would I want the Sox to acquire him. I also like Willie Harris a lot, so I'm more then happy with him eventually moving to 2nd. The only thing is I'm not convinced if Jimenez (One of my favorites) will be capable of handling short. I do think DAngelo has good trade value and we could move him and a middle of the line prospect for a quality young shortstop.

The amount of salary added would be miniscal considering its the end of the year and you only have him for the stretch run. 

Teams like the Cardinals, Red Sox, Yankees, and even A's are almost always willing to add payroll late in the season.  In the A's case, I think Beane figures in some late acquisitions usually. 

Plus Castillo is one of the top 2nd baseman in baseball (Right behind Soriano) and that alone should command something in return. 

I'm unaware of their asking price of Castillo, but I'd have to think it would be less then Lowell who they are asking a ransom for.  I think whoever acquires Castillo will be getting a steal, because I don't think the teams bidding on him are going to have a ton of guys to offer or will be the A's who tend to win a lot of trades, while the Cubs are very leery on giving guys up. 

Heck, I could see the Sox getting Castillo for Jimenez and Rauch and possibly a throw in.  And in all honesty, I wouldn't be against it if they could sign Castillo for a reasonable contract (Something around what Jose made the past few years).  This would be difficult to do, but I Think with salaries falling you got a shot.  Only if they could sign him to a reasonable deal would I want the Sox to acquire him.  I also like Willie Harris a lot, so I'm more then happy with him eventually moving to 2nd.  The only thing is I'm not convinced if Jimenez (One of my favorites) will be capable of handling short.  I do think DAngelo has good trade value and we could move him and a middle of the line prospect for a quality young shortstop.

I doubt D'A has nearly as much trade value as you think..The whole world gets to see him play, they know his tendancy towards the lackadaisical. They also have probably heard the stories about him in the clubhouse. Besides, look how little we had to give up to get him. There was a reason that no one else was willing to step in and pay more for him...