Guillen responds to McCarthy's comments

Flash Tizzle

I keep thinking "hey Ozzie, your team is over here, Oz, over here, guys in the black uniforms!? No Oz he plays for a different team, come on back over here, we have a team for you to coach and they even have to pretend to like you. There you go, now tell everyone that this team is better than the 2005 team. This team OZ, Oz, look over here, these guys. David Letterman only wants to talk to you if you win the World Series with these guys, Oz, come back here . . ."

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll make this as simple as I can;

If Ozzie Guillen keeps his team together and keeps them winning ballgames this year, gets them to the playoffs, and so on; I couldn't care less which players he rips into. If that works, I'll take it.

If Ozzie Guillen becomes a distraction that starts costing the White Sox chances at the playoffs, in repeated seasons, then there will be no more reason to tolerate these rants.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 3, 2007 -> 11:34 AM)

If Ozzie Guillen keeps his team together and keeps them winning ballgames this year, gets them to the playoffs, and so on; I couldn't care less which players he rips into. If that works, I'll take it.

If Ozzie Guillen becomes a distraction that starts costing the White Sox chances at the playoffs, in repeated seasons, then there will be no more reason to tolerate these rants.

How does last season fall into this ? Guillen was a distraction with some of his comments (the Mariotti fiasco stands out), and the team didn't make the playoffs ?

Does it matter what part of the season his comments are made ?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 10:20 PM)
After the second bean, both teams were warned.

There's no way that Ozzie would've had Javier suspended over it. Just wouldn't be worth it and there's no reason to when you've got a minor leaguer there.

As far as Garland -- it's general knowledge that Ozzie stuck with Garland longer into games while Jerry "dicked around" with him, taking him out at the first sign of trouble and messing with his confidence.

Like Guillen, you're misinformed. After the game, Vazquez stated he believed AJP's first HBP was intentional. Neither team received an umpire's warning after that HBP. At that time, Vazquez had the opportunity to retaliate in defense of his catcher without risk of suspension. He chose not to.

You're wrong to state Vazquez had no reason to hit a Texas batter when the Sox had an expendable, rookie bullpen pitcher in Tracey. The reason for Vazquez to retaliate and hit a Texas batter is to possibly protect Pierzynski from receiving his second intentional HBP. As the pitcher in the game during the HPBs, Vazquez was the only man on the Sox who could have protected his catcher. He chose not to.

I strongly disagree with your philosophy of a manager treating his players with varying levels of respect based on talent level.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 10:22 PM)
Check your PMs.

I'm interested too. Would you mind forwarding that information to me?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 3, 2007 -> 06:32 AM)
Really this situation shouldn't have been one in the 1st place, and that's the problem here.

Hardly was a situation to begin with. Why this is such a big deal is beyond me. So Ozzie said some not-so-nice things about McCarthy and Anderson. I'm sure nobody on the Sox or the Rangers are losing any sleep over it. A whole lot more was made out of the Mariotti situation, and it was in the midst of one of our biggest winning streaks of 06.

Personally, I'd rather Ozzie took a no comment, but whatever. Until Ozzie's rants start costing us wins, I'll start caring. In the meantime, its safe to assume that there are players who love Ozzie and players who don't. You can say that for just about every manager. And its safe to say that there are players Ozzie likes and players he doesn't. Same can be said for just about every manager. But saying he doesn't play somebody because of personal bias is nothing more than speculation.

My favorite argument, of course, is the "if Brian Anderson was Latino" comment...which is just plain ridiculous. As if his s***ty hitting for 80% of the season didn't have anything to do with it. Ozuna had a much better season than Scott Podsednik and yet Ozzie kept trotting out Podsednik on a daily basis. For the record, I wasn't a fan of Ozzie's handling of the outfield. But the only rational that I can cite for his decisions were simply his preference to have more offense from the left handed side (thus keeping Pods and Mack out there). Anything more than that would be nothing more than pulling theories out of my ass.

Coming in a close second is the "taking notes from Scott Skiles" argument. Please tell me that you have a better example than a coach who is generally disliked by players, has had players quit on him on numerous occasions, and has never won anything.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 3, 2007 -> 05:34 PM)

It's been said many times over from players in the club house, that Ozzie takes the pressure off his players. He's not a distraction to the players, he draws attention from the media, that would otherwise be focused on the players. So let there be articles about what Ozzie says about McCarthy and Rich Hill. Who gives a ****? The players find him refreshing!

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Mar 3, 2007 -> 02:59 PM)
It's been said many times over from players in the club house, that Ozzie takes the pressure off his players. He's not a distraction to the players, he draws attention from the media, that would otherwise be focused on the players. So let there be articles about what Ozzie says about McCarthy and Rich Hill. Who gives a ****? The players find him refreshing!

Well at what point does a potential FA say to themselves, well I would like to go to the whitesox, however do I really need to deal with the landslide of crap when I eventually leave.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 11:15 PM)
Yep, Ozzie never said one bad thing about McCarthy during the last year. Do you intentionally forget his rant about McCarthy not being Cy Young? And anyone that thinks Ozzie handled our starters well last year is just....dumb. How many times was he going to let Vazquez get bombed in the 6th inning? How many times was he going to let Garcia and/or Buehrle have their outings go from 6 innings, 3 runs to 6 2/3 innings, 5 runs because he tried to get them thru the inning in order to possibly get the win. Maybe it's better McCarthy isn't here anymore, because Ozzie's leash on him would have been so short.

The Cy Young comment wasn't directed at McCarthy, it was directed at the armchair managers who were crying over the fact that McCarthy wasn't in the rotation and getting more PT.

BTW, a couple of things.

What was the rumor about McCarthy that has been mentioned in this thread?

Also, after thinking about the comments by Ozzie and looking at the story as a whole, I'm going to agree with him ripping Brandon. Brandon talks first. If Ozzie doesn't say anything, fans would say "Oh, what Brandon said must be true" and FA's would probably think the same. I'm not saying Ozzie ripping the guy helps big time, but it does save some face if you really think about it by killing Brandon's credibility.

Fact is, Brandon should've never started it in the first place, but of course, Cy Young, err, McCarthy will get a free pass. Ozzie takes care of all his players whether we like to admit it or not. Look at the 2005 WS Game 2 with Jenks blowing the save. He could've ripped the guy and gone with Cotts who was pretty lights out or even Politte, both who are veterans. Instead he discussed the blown save with Jenks right after the game and told him not to worry and to be ready the next game. Yes, again, Ozzie showing confidence in his players.

The whole Latin argument as well is pretty retarded IMO, but that's a whole 'nother discussion.

I also agree with Ozzie stating his other 5 starters were still better options than McCarthy which was true. They were all proven guys and usually those guys are less prone to continue the slump over a young guy who couldn't even handle the pen. Guys like Danny Haren and Johan were able to deal with starting off there.

I'm guessing in 5 years, Brandon McCarthy will be in the same light as Jeremy Reed. Who?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 3, 2007 -> 09:30 PM)
The rumor was, KW was trying to nail McCarthy's girlfriend and they fought over it. It started on a Cubs blog, and a minor one at that.

No go. It's probably not true and there's nothing at all to suggest it is.

I thought KW was happily married. What a stupid rumor.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 3, 2007 -> 09:30 PM)
The rumor was, KW was trying to nail McCarthy's girlfriend and they fought over it. It started on a Cubs blog, and a minor one at that.

No go. It's probably not true and there's nothing at all to suggest it is.

And I always thought Cub fans didn't care about the Sox... :wacko:

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 3, 2007 -> 09:02 PM)
Well at what point does a potential FA say to themselves, well I would like to go to the whitesox, however do I really need to deal with the landslide of crap when I eventually leave.

We've had plenty of FA, and players traded that have left on good terms. When players take a parting shot about the team, it's going to ruffle feathers.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 3, 2007 -> 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that players talk and listed to what other players say about him rather than what is written in the media. Most players have nothing but great things to say about Ozzie. I doubt we have any problems getting free agents because of Ozzie. I HIGHLY doubt it. I find it a total non issue.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 3, 2007 -> 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW, a couple of things.

What was the rumor about McCarthy that has been mentioned in this thread?

Also, after thinking about the comments by Ozzie and looking at the story as a whole, I'm going to agree with him ripping Brandon. Brandon talks first. If Ozzie doesn't say anything, fans would say "Oh, what Brandon said must be true" and FA's would probably think the same. I'm not saying Ozzie ripping the guy helps big time, but it does save some face if you really think about it by killing Brandon's credibility.

Fact is, Brandon should've never started it in the first place, but of course, Cy Young, err, McCarthy will get a free pass. Ozzie takes care of all his players whether we like to admit it or not. Look at the 2005 WS Game 2 with Jenks blowing the save. He could've ripped the guy and gone with Cotts who was pretty lights out or even Politte, both who are veterans. Instead he discussed the blown save with Jenks right after the game and told him not to worry and to be ready the next game. Yes, again, Ozzie showing confidence in his players.

The whole Latin argument as well is pretty retarded IMO, but that's a whole 'nother discussion.

I also agree with Ozzie stating his other 5 starters were still better options than McCarthy which was true. They were all proven guys and usually those guys are less prone to continue the slump over a young guy who couldn't even handle the pen. Guys like Danny Haren and Johan were able to deal with starting off there.

I'm guessing in 5 years, Brandon McCarthy will be in the same light as Jeremy Reed. Who?

Awesome post!!!!! :headbang

I have to admit boys: I'm tired of it. B-Mac was built up as the Starter of the Future by the Sox and we all were looking forward to seeing him realize that day. We knew he was a lifelong fan and was looking forward to living the dream.

He gave us some solid outings, showed some flashes of brilliance, and definitely struggled as a mid-reliever last year.

And now, after shockingly letting him go, for KW to subtly diss him and for Ozzie to be even more insulting... what kind of organization are they running there?

If he didn't pan out the way you thought he would, fine: trade him and wish him the best. But this just seems so... bush league and petty.

Ozzie's mouth was a kick the first two years but now I'm really wishing he would STFU. And I was 100% behind brining Ozzie here to manage.

Let's move on: A call placed by Brandon McCarthy to Guillen on Friday night quickly settled any minor difference stemming from comments made by the former White Sox pitcher in a Feb. 21 newspaper report and Guillen's ensuing radio retort.

McCarthy told MLB.com on Friday that they wished each other well during the conversation and had the chance to put forth their points of view on the matter. Guillen echoed McCarthy's sentiment of tranquility.

"It was good. I think we made it really clear about what happens," said Guillen of the talk with McCarthy. "I don't know if it was a misunderstanding by him or by me.

"He said he wasn't making that point about the clubhouse, it was a little different between this one and the other one. He said he likes the guys here; he doesn't have anything against them. I said I wish him the best. This kid has a chance to be a good pitcher. Everything's clear and good."

Both sides agreed this matter is officially over, and Guillen said he would talk to McCarthy and give him a hug when the two teams met in Surprise on March 13. Guillen also had a meeting on Friday with center fielder Brian Anderson, who was caught in the crossfire as a close friend of McCarthy, and let him know everything was good.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 3, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)

+1

Ozzie reminds me a lot of Billy Martin.