Guillen responds to McCarthy's comments

Flash Tizzle

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My view from afar is simply that Oz isn't a good game manager, and although he's good for providing spark to a listless ball club, once this club tastes success - he's been more than happy to let the life get sucked right out of it again.

I view him as a short term success and not a long term solution.

I don't see where what anything McCarthy said should be offensive. Guys that are 22 or 23 don't hang out with guys who are 30-35. Almost everytime someone leaves the Sox someone from the White Sox eventually slams that player in the press. Its really getting old.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 02:40 PM)
My view from afar is simply that Oz isn't a good game manager, and although he's good for providing spark to a listless ball club, once this club tastes success - he's been more than happy to let the life get sucked right out of it again.

I view him as a short term success and not a long term solution.

Most "experts" agree with you. They don't think his act is suited for long-term success.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 02:42 PM)
I don't see where what anything McCarthy said should be offensive. Guys that are 22 or 23 don't hang out with guys who are 30-35. Almost everytime someone leaves the Sox someone from the White Sox eventually slams that player in the press. Its really getting old.

Most "experts" agree with you. They don't think his act is suited for long-term success.

I've probably got the wrong name but was it Brian McRae who called out Ozzie for his managerial style, saying when it does end it's going to end badly? I remember hearing the quote and just laughing. So great.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 08:42 PM)

If the Sox don't make the playoffs this year, I fully expect us to go into a rebuilding mode. Ozzie would never be the manager of a rebuilding team, especially with his difficulty in handling criticism during losing. Ozzie was a horrific manager last year, as he had no idea when to pull his starting pitchers. Also, his handling of Mackowiak in CF should have been a fireable offense.

Why does this board and a lot of Sox fans in general have to take every single comment Ozzie says and completely overreact to it??

The only thing I take from this comment is maybe Brandon should have been more concerned with talking with guys like Burls instead of hanging onto a minor league buddy for nights on the town with their newfound success. It seems like Brandon was the type of player that never wanted to listen to what he superiors had to say, and was always on the one track mind of wanting to be the rotation. Even with the whining when they left him off the playoff roster, which was probaby when these tendancies started for BMac. Ohh well, wish him the best.

Some of you are worried if BA is gonna be insulted by this comment, I personally would like to give the kid more credit than that, but appearantly we have a bunch of fans that think he is mentally soft or something.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 02:45 PM)
Also, his handling of Mackowiak in CF should have been a fireable offense.

I'd call it mis-handling. Ozzie was clueless when figuring out where to put Peter Pan, Mack and Anderson last year.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 02:45 PM)
Why does this board and a lot of Sox fans in general have to take every single comment Ozzie says and completely overreact to it??

The only thing I take from this comment is maybe Brandon should have been more concerned with talking with guys like Burls instead of hanging onto a minor league buddy for nights on the town with their newfound success. It seems like Brandon was the type of player that never wanted to listen to what he superiors had to say, and was always on the one track mind of wanting to be the rotation. Even with the whining when they left him off the playoff roster, which was probaby when these tendancies started for BMac. Ohh well, wish him the best.

Some of you are worried if BA is gonna be insulted by this comment, I personally would like to give the kid more credit than that, but appearantly we have a bunch of fans that think he is mentally soft or something.

It has nothing to do with Brian Anderson's feelings or mental capacity it has to do with an unfair bias Guillen seems to hold against certain players, specifically the youngsters.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 02:45 PM)

We're concerned that Erstad will be our starting CF.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 02:49 PM)
It has nothing to do with Brian Anderson's feelings or mental capacity it has to do with an unfair bias Guillen seems to hold against certain players, specifically the youngsters.

Maybe if his name was Bríañ Añdersón.....

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 03:45 PM)

I think it has nothing to do with an overreaction with what Ozzie has to say, it has more to do with a sincere desire to see him shut his cakehole. Because it will hurt his team down the line, if it hasn't already.

I work with a boss who says stupid things like this all the time. About the people that work for him. You think that doesn't have an effect on the atmosphere in this office? What makes a dugout any different?

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 08:52 PM)
I think it has nothing to do with an overreaction with what Ozzie has to say, it has more to do with a sincere desire to see him shut his cakehole. Because it will hurt his team down the line, if it hasn't already.

Like how ARod would have refused a trade to Chicago due to his dislike of Ozzie. :angry:

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 02:50 PM)
We're concerned that Erstad will be our starting CF.

Maybe if his name was Bríañ Añdersón.....

It's sad because it's true. I could give two s***s about Brian Anderson's feelings really, he's a tough guy and can seemingly handle himself just fine. It's the f***ing hypocrisy that bothers me.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 02:53 PM)
Like how ARod would have refused a trade to Chicago due to his dislike of Ozzie. :angry:

Because Ozzie felt the need to pop off about something that had NOTHING to do with him.

If Ozzie is ripping them publicly, he must have seen things behind the scenes that would be cause for concern on both Anderson and Bmac--something that affected their playing more than just some Freddy and some smoke. Not that he should. He should keep it private. Yet vets like AJ, Buehrle, Konerko, Thome, and Dye don't seem to mind or think he's out of line. They seem more amused by Ozzie when reporters give them Ozzie quotes, than think he's out of line.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 02:49 PM)

Ok, I can buy that... but for specific young players. Players that have smelled the big leagues, but have done nothing with their routine or character to always improve. He seems to have something against players that are content in comfort zones, and I can't blame him for that. I've heard him say nothing but great things about Sweeney after his call up last year, and for al we know, he may have bigger plans for him.

Don't get me wrong, I love Anderson and I want him starting in center too. But there's nothing wrong with some extra motivation from managers and coaches, and Ozzie has a different way of going about that... the players know it, and we should too. Anderson has done nothing to be just handed the starting CF job right out of the gate, make him feel like he has to keep earning that right. Not everything that comes out of Ozzie's mouth should be taken so seriously at this point.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 02:55 PM)
If Ozzie is ripping them publicly, he must have seen things behind the scenes that would be cause for concern on both Anderson and Bmac--something that affected their playing more than just some Freddy and some smoke. Not that he should. He should keep it private. Yet vets like AJ, Buehrle, Konerko, Thome, and Dye don't seem to mind or think he's out of line. They seem more amused by Ozzie when reporters give them Ozzie quotes, than think he's out of line.

Why because his classy, veteran players refuse to speak out against their manager? How would that work out for Thome or Konerko? Maybe it's because they have two things Ozzie doesn't, class and Humility.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 08:57 PM)
Don't get me wrong, I love Anderson and I want him starting in center too. But there's nothing wrong with some extra motivation from managers and coaches, and Ozzie has a different way of going about that... the players know it, and we should too. Anderson has done nothing to be just handed the starting CF job right out of the gate, make him feel like he has to keep earning that right. Not everything that comes out of Ozzie's mouth should be taken so seriously at this point.

Ozzie bashed McCarthy non-stop last year.....and we see what the end result of that was. Erstad is the exact type of player that Ozzie loves, and I can't see Ozzie resisting putting Pods and Erstad into the lineup together.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 02:55 PM)

That's because they are veterans and professionals, and realize, unlike their manager, that saying whatever you feel like saying, and even being blunt and telling the truth, isn't always the best way to deal with the press. Believe me, Ozzie Guillen could easily be so embarrassed if people mentioned some of the things he's done during his White Sox career, he has tons of skeletons in his closet, and they would be just being honest. You can't tell me the Sox players don't mind any of Ozzie's act.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 02:16 PM)
On McCarthy:

"We might be in the playoffs without him."

Just to elaborate on that, he was saying that if McCarthy hadn't been on the team/bullpen last year we might have made the playoffs because McCarthy basically lost like 5 or so games for them. That's the only part out of all the things Ozzie quoted on that got me baffled the most.