Guillen responds to McCarthy's comments

Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 02:35 PM)
If Ozzie basically runs McCarthy and Anderson out of town, I'll repeat what I said last year: it's too bad Ozzie isn't a man of his word, and didn't quit after winning the World Series.

I agree-the constant running of his mouth is getting old. Just ONCE I'd like to see constructive or supportive comments made. This Ozzie is Ozzie stuff is just an excuse for lack of communication skills

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(HeGone33 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 03:29 PM)
When it comes to gameday, on the field, I highly doubt that any of our players are sitting there thinking about some off the wall comment made by Ozzie at one point another. I know many of us have played competitive sport in our lives and when you are playing games, nothing else matters and you get caught in the competition within the game. If anything, things that are said, should motivate people.

The players who sucked last year didn't suck cause of what Ozzie said. Plain and simple when things are going good, he's a hero, we don't win last year, and he is an a@@.

Im 26 years old and as far as im concerned, Ozzie was a big part of fulfilling a dream of mine, seeing the Sox win the World Series. I do financial analysis and Ozzie manages a baseball team. I won't tell him how to do his job, and I wouldn't listen to him tell me how to do my job.

I see your point but a manager, whether it be in baseball or financial analysis is supposed to be something of a mentor to those that report to him or her. Part of being a mentor requires patience with younger, less experienced team members. Those guys are going to have a lot of energy and enthusiasm, but they are also going to make mistakes along the way. Some egos are more fragile than others. If the manager rides the young guy enough, he could break his spirit and mess up his confidence. Obviously, someone so fragile that they can't handle constructive criticism is not a guy you want on the team anyway. However, Ozzie is broadcasting shortcomings in a very public forum. I am not saying it is hurting morale of the team overall, but the potential is definitely there.

FWIW, I have heard McCarthy was something of a sourpuss. Supposedly he was always debating politics and religion in the bullpen. I forgot where I read this, but I think it was in a profile of the bullpen last year in one of the papers. It was delivered in a fairly lighthearted tone but it was still mentioned by a teammate in the pen with him. Again, I do not know the situation behind the scenes, but guys like that can mess up clubhouse chemistry even if they are talented and work hard. McCarthy's comments after being traded also hinted at this where he notes they were always focused on the negative rather than the positive. Maybe that was his own perception and he was taking things too personally rather than taking it like a young professional that needs to improve his game.

If information comes out concerning McCarthy's attitude, and our management's displeasure with it, it makes me wonder about future young talent on this ballclub. Will we be patient with a potential superstar if he doesn't get along with our manager, or other teammates? How would we have handled Delmon Yountg throwing a bat at an umpire?

I'm not willing to believe Williams traded Brandon because of his attitude alone, but you have to imagine it factored in.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 04:17 PM)
If information comes out concerning McCarthy's attitude, and our management's displeasure with it, it makes me wonder about future young talent on this ballclub. Will we be patient with a potential superstar if he doesn't get along with our manager, or other teammates? How would we have handled Delmon Yountg throwing a bat at an umpire?

I'm not willing to believe Williams traded Brandon because of his attitude alone, but you have to imagine it factored in.

If you listen to his comments I don't think he is referring to attitude as a whole. It's pretty much an indictment of McCarthy and Anderson partying too much. The Sox, Guillen included think that these two weren't serious enough about the game. This must be the reason that BA was being becnched last year even when it seemed he was improving on the field.

I for one have no problem with Ozzie saying what he did as because he felt that these guys were partying and it effected their play. Now if the partying truly effected the play or not it's impossible for us to know. But if your boss says stop partying and these two obviously didn't listen then you should be in the doghouse.

I can't imagine that KW would have traded McCarthy just for this but when the Rangers came a callin for Garland as was first reported, I can picture KW saying "what about a younger cheaper McCarthy."

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 10:17 PM)

Brian Anderson cannot be compared to Delmon Young, I don't believe mccarthy can either but i know many people think hes an ace. Joe Crede was semi young when ozzie came in and there was no guff there, and crede is the best 3bagger in the game now. Also ozzie has always shown a lot of the suppor towards juan uribe and he shot a guy. So i think ozzie has plenty of skills with younger players, he just doesn't like BA and BMac, and probably for good reason. Personally i think brian anderson is too worried about his looks, he adjusts his helmet about 10 times before gettin in the box.

QUOTE(Hawkfan @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 05:30 PM)
Brian Anderson cannot be compared to Delmon Young, I don't believe mccarthy can either but i know many people think hes an ace. Joe Crede was semi young when ozzie came in and there was no guff there, and crede is the best 3bagger in the game now. Also ozzie has always shown a lot of the suppor towards juan uribe and he shot a guy. So i think ozzie has plenty of skills with younger players, he just doesn't like BA and BMac, and probably for good reason. Personally i think brian anderson is too worried about his looks, he adjusts his helmet about 10 times before gettin in the box.

HA!

I know we shouldn't be surprised by these outbursts anymore, but I for one am friggin sick of it. At some point winning the World Series can't mean lifetime immunity from consequences. Someone who is supposed to be the leader of a major league team has to have more class than this. It's friggin embarrassing. I am now officially on the "Fire Ozzie" bandwagon. This organization deserves better.

There, it's off my chest.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 03:26 PM)
if anderson is not the starter for this team this year and/or next year, ozzie HAS to go. he is going to ruin one of our best young players.

anderson has full responsibility over his future, if he hits well and plays great defense then he will start, but he hit horrible last year and needs to win the job back. Why give the job to somebody who obviously wasnt ready for it, he needs the ABs and unless he shows that he can still hit during ST then he should have another season in AAA. I know everybody thinks he is the future starting centerfielder, heck even i do, but if he isnt going to help us win now by picking up his game and worry more about how long his blonde curls are then he shouldnt be on the team. He needs to improve and quickly

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 03:26 PM)
Yeah, Erstad may very well start in CF.

i remember how Rowand wasnt a top notch hitter, yes he had that one year but taht wasnt even a full season, he was a .260-.270 hitter with 20-25 hrs, and a ton of strikeouts. but his biggest contribution besides his defense was that he hustled and led by example, giving a spark or fire into teammates. I think Erstad can do this, should hit around those numbers and give that spark, and for everybody who is talking about injuries these "grinder" type players can still contribute while injured, rowand last year had a couple of major injuries missing a lot of time but he really changed the attitude of the phillies and they almost made the playoffs with taht change

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 05:44 PM)
anderson has full responsibility over his future, if he hits well and plays great defense then he will start, but he hit horrible last year and needs to win the job back.

Mind showing me the cf on our roster who didn't "hit horrible last year"?

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 04:28 PM)
If you listen to his comments I don't think he is referring to attitude as a whole. It's pretty much an indictment of McCarthy and Anderson partying too much. The Sox, Guillen included think that these two weren't serious enough about the game. This must be the reason that BA was being becnched last year even when it seemed he was improving on the field.

That would be ridiculous, if true. Teaching a young player a lesson rather than attempting to win? When Anderson wasn't producing, I could understand benching him if it appeared his social life was becoming a distraction. But when someone begins to turn themselves around, as Brian did in the second half, the level of seriousness shouldn't matter.

QUOTE(Beltin @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 04:05 PM)
I see your point but a manager, whether it be in baseball or financial analysis is supposed to be something of a mentor to those that report to him or her. Part of being a mentor requires patience with younger, less experienced team members. Those guys are going to have a lot of energy and enthusiasm, but they are also going to make mistakes along the way. Some egos are more fragile than others. If the manager rides the young guy enough, he could break his spirit and mess up his confidence. Obviously, someone so fragile that they can't handle constructive criticism is not a guy you want on the team anyway. However, Ozzie is broadcasting shortcomings in a very public forum. I am not saying it is hurting morale of the team overall, but the potential is definitely there.

I understand your point as well and I think it just comes down to the individual. For example, my former manager where I work was also my mentor. I came to this job as a college grad who had tendancies to still go ut and party and what not. Well, after missing some days of work, my boss and mentor threw it out there that I miss work for party reasons, in one of our meetings with many higher level people. I was present at this meeting. Granted he said it in a joking matter and everyone more or less got a kick out of it. But to me, inside, I knew he had a point, and that I had things I needed to fix. I don't care one bit about the way he went about saying what I did wrong, it just motivated me to hurry and get it right. Knowing that he cares enough about me and my success to send out a little message here and there, ultimately made me feel good. Just a week ago ozzie was saying good things about Brian, and I highly doubt he doesn't want him to be successful, he just has his own way of doing things and I think we all have to respect that.

QUOTE(Beltin @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 02:51 PM)
And still worshipped by too many fans.

Eventually, Mark Buehrle and Jon Garland will leave in Anger, Ozzie Guillen will be fired, Paul Konerko will leave or retire, Juan Uribe will eh, who knows, Bobby Jenks's arm will fall off...and I'll still have a deep gratitude for that 05 team. That doesn't mean that firing Ozzie won't be the right decision at some point.

Ozzie's job is to keep a fire set under this team's ass. In 05, it worked. In 04, eh, so-so. In 06, it failed miserably. We'll see how it works in 07.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 04:52 PM)
That would be ridiculous, if true. Teaching a young player a lesson rather than attempting to win? When Anderson wasn't producing, I could understand benching him if it appeared his social life was becoming a distraction. But when someone begins to turn themselves around, as Brian did in the second half, the level of seriousness shouldn't matter.

I disagree. If off the field stuff was causing his poor performance on the field he should be benched. I don't care how much he was starting to improve, if the off the field stuff continued.

Ozzie has a duty to find out what his players are made of and to make sure they can be counted on in games. He has shown this by putting many young or unproven players in tough game situations to see how they handle it, even if it may cost the Sox a game. If he felt BA was doing more harm then good I have no problem with it.

The Sox as an organization have a responsibility to continue to be good not drop off the face of the Earth. Being short sighted to win every game at the expense progessive thinking is why clubs like the scrubbies are mired in defeat.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 02:26 PM)
if anderson is not the starter for this team this year and/or next year, ozzie HAS to go. he is going to ruin one of our best young players.

hahaha. I hope this was a joke. Anderson has alot to prove in the MLB before we deem him more important than our manager.

Alot of managerial experts on this site for real. What kind of manager is built for long term success? Its no mistake that the key players on the team like playing for Ozzie, BMAC is gone and commented on his old team like he shouldnt have. This is such a non-story turned into the funniest flaming of a great manager ive seen in quite awhile.