Guillen responds to McCarthy's comments

Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 07:20 PM)
With KW and Jerry around, a guy like Young would have been dealt away, no matter how much pure talent the guy has. Kw wants guys who have the desire and intangibles to win if not the natural talent and ability.

There might be something to the Bmac attitude. But if Bmac was serious about 'changing his ways', KW would probably have stuck w/ him. But more than likely, the combined talents of Danks and Masset bettering what BMac alone could do over the course of their careers was the most important factor.

LOL, are you serious? Can you speak for Williams? I'm willing to believe McCarthy's attitude played a part, but not enough to alone pull the trigger on a trade.

I'm sure there wouldn't be ONE general manager willing to pass on Delmon Young if he were released. That's because most people within baseball care about winning games, not fostering intangibles and clubhouse chemistry.

Give me the talented prospect with the poor attitude over a hard nosed, major leage average 'grinder.'

Edited by Flash Tizzle

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This article seems to clear up a lot and includes some more quotes:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

In his opening line of the interview, Guillen said, "I really hate him," when referring to McCarthy. But Guillen explained to the media a few hours later how he didn't like McCarthy's comments

In his apparent shot at Anderson, he was referring more to McCarthy seeking out a veteran presence.

"Off the field, I [couldn't] care less what they do," Guillen said. "On the field, to learn what to do, pick Freddy Garcia to teach you.

"So many guys here can teach you stuff. Off the field, you're not my kid. On the field, that's why I say, when you're a kid, you should lean towards a veteran player, not another kid."

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 3, 2007 -> 01:44 AM)
LOL, are you serious? Can you speak for Williams? I'm willing to believe his attitude played a part, but not enough to alone pull the trigger on a trade.

I'm sure there wouldn't be ONE general manager willing to pass on Delmon Young if he were released. That's because most people within baseball care about winning games, not fostering intangibles and clubhouse chemistry.

Give me the talented prospect with the poor attitude over a hard nosed, major leage average 'grinder.'

KW's philosophy got him the 2005 WS. That's not to say a guy like Delmon couldn't be given a break. But if the guy's an ass, KW and the sox don't want a part of him. KW has made many public statements to that effect, on having the right mix of players, not necessarily the most talented team on paper.

And I don't think BMac's attitude had much to do with him being traded. KW has had Danks and Masset on his radar for a while

Edited by beck72

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 07:48 PM)
This article seems to clear up a lot and includes some more quotes:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

That's funny...Guillen thinks that McCarthy should have learned how to act on the field from Garcia. Freddy could have explained to Brandon how you only need to try hard in "Big Games", you don't really have to go all out unless you've got a national TV audience.

I remember at least twice last season when Freddy showed up his teammates during a game, on the field. All Brandon said was that he didn't have a lot of friends on the Sox and he felt the coching focused on the negative. Which is worse?

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 07:49 PM)
KW's philosophy got him the 2005 WS. That's not to say a guy like Delmon couldn't be given a break. But if the guy's an ass, KW and the sox don't want a part of him. KW has made many public statements to that effect, on having the right mix of players, not necessarily the most talented team on paper.

I'd argue his philosophy of seeking under the radar acquisitions from FA and trades got him the world series. Not acquiring good spirited grinders.

What about signing Pierzynski? Wasn't he universally panned as an ass? I guarantee if I were to find the thread where he signed, a large majority of the posters here would have looked by his past because it filled a hole of ballclub. We needed a catcher, Pierzynski fit the bill, and thus, he was acquired.

I don't believe the phone calls from Williams to various people about Pierzynski mattered much, either. You talk to the right people (ie; Hawk, Hermanson), someone will always have something good to say about another.

Ask yourself why else would Sabean hold onto Bonds, with consistent steroid suspicions, if he weren't one of the league's best players? Why would the Rangers sign Sosa? Teams care more about winning with than appeasing the media. I dont' believe Williams is any different. He'd rather give someone every opportunity to fit in here than trade them.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 08:56 PM)
That's funny...Guillen thinks that McCarthy should have learned how to act on the field from Garcia. Freddy could have explained to Brandon how you only need to try hard in "Big Games", you don't really have to go all out unless you've got a national TV audience.

I remember at least twice last season when Freddy showed up his teammates during a game, on the field. All Brandon said was that he didn't have a lot of friends on the Sox and he felt the coching focused on the negative. Which is worse?

Yeah, I posted two of the better comments. It is surprising that he would use Garcia as an example.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 07:56 PM)

I am sure he was just using Freddy as an example of a veteran presence and nothing more. For christ sake, this Brandon McCarthy love-fest is beyond me.

I am okay with what Ozzie had to say, especially after reading Merkin's article. B-Mac was immature, and his attitude on the team based on all of the reports was also immature. Then he leaves and rips the organization in various news sources. But yeah, he did no wrong, Ozzie is the asshole and B-Mac is the saint. Afterall, he is paving his way to Cooperstown.

Maybe without B-Mac around, BA can get his head out of his ass too before he gets sent packing...

QUOTE(chisox72 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 09:08 PM)
I am sure he was just using Freddy as an example of a veteran presence and nothing more. For christ sake, this Brandon McCarthy love-fest is beyond me.

I am okay with what Ozzie had to say, especially after reading Merkin's article. B-Mac was immature, and his attitude on the team based on all of the reports was also immature. Then he leaves and rips the organization in various news sources. But yeah, he did no wrong, Ozzie is the asshole and B-Mac is the saint. Afterall, he is paving his way to Cooperstown.

Maybe without B-Mac around, BA can get his head out of his ass too before he gets sent packing...

The weird thing is B-Mac was not the first younger guy to mention the clubhouse. Logan said very similar things about the clubhouse from 2006. Both of their comments were geared towards all the guys being married and older. So it would make sense that B-Mac would be hanging out with Anderson since he was probably the only guy that was near his age and spoke English as a first language.

So Ozzie, who most who even think McCarthy sucks will agree, misused him last year, says McCarthy, the rookie making the minimum may just be the one responsible for blowing the White Sox playoff chances. Yet Buerhle, who was batting practice the second half of last season, and admittedly was out of shape, bears no blame. Nor does Freddy Garcia who admitted he only gets up for big games, or Jon Garland whose ERA was over 6.00 the first 2 months, nor the guy responsible for assembling the bullpen last year, nor the guy who insisted on putting Mackowiak in CF and continued to leave Vazquez in past the fifth inning time and time again to get pounded. Don't blame any of those guys. I'm glad I saw the light. Brandon McCarthy is the reason the White Sox didn't make the playoffs and probably would have won another title. I am so happy he's gone. I'm sure Gavin Floyd will be much better.

QUOTE(chisox72 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 08:08 PM)

You would have to look long and hard to find a more immature 42 or 43 year old man than Ozzie Guillen.

"Off the field, I [couldn't] care less what they do," Guillen said. "On the field, to learn what to do, pick Freddy Garcia to teach you.

Wha does Ozzie mean here? Throw your hands up in the air when a teammate (Mackowiak) makes a bad break on the ball? Throw a hissy fit when guys (Iguchi) make an error? Or does he want guys to 'take days off' when they play against lesser teams?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 08:17 PM)
Wha does Ozzie mean here? Throw your hands up in the air when a teammate (Mackowiak) makes a bad break on the ball? Throw a hissy fit when guys (Iguchi) make an error? Or does he want guys to 'take days off' when they play against lesser teams?

Didn't Ozzie say he expected Garcia to have a big year this year because he's playing for a contract? He's advocating modeling yourself after a guy who needs a new contract for motivation. The current one isn't motivation enough.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 06:30 PM)
granted he shouldn't lay it out there like that but McCarthystarted it all with bashing the Sox as being a negative team and too boring and Married. McCarthy is a smart guy it wouldn't surprise me if he bashed the Sox knowing how Ozzie would react.

Come on. Ozzie Guillen is a manager of a major league baseball team. Brandon McCarthy is a 23-year-old kid just starting his career. McCarthy represents McCarthy. Guillen represents the CHICAGO WHITE SOX ORGANIZATION. One of those people gets a pass for saying something stupid in public. Not the other. At some point you have to recognize the position you're in, the responsibility you have, and take the freakin high road for a change. Guillen makes this organization look as low class as you can be. And I had been an Ozzie fan from the beginning but enough is enough.

I'd like to point something else out.

There was banter earlier that Konerko and other veterans disapprove of Guillen, blah blah blah, scared of commenting, don't want to rattle cages, they're "class acts," blahblahblah.

Well, when Ken Macha was fired, Barry Zito went on the record as saying that Paul Konerko told him that Ozzie would "take a bullet for his players" and that they all respected him for it and liked him and Zito took it as an example of what a manager should be.

There are complaints all the time about Ozzie's handling of pitching but I imagine that his pitchers themselves appreciate him. Garland, for a good example, for giving him the chance to go out there and prove himself after the Manuel mishandling. The others? And Gar., too, for being allowed to go deep into ballgames and work their own problems out.

Do all his players love him? Probably not. Seems like most do have a lot of respect for him and should. Is he rough around the edges? Sure. Does he prefer veterans, generally?

Definitely.

But let's not pretend that he'd, oh, insist on playing a crinkley veteran over a "superstar" or even a clearly better player. The suggestion seems to be, "God forbid we ever have a young stud like Miguel Cabrera because Guillen would dick around with him!"

Please. As if Brian Anderson -- who looked bad even when his numbers became "respectable" -- is a superstar of any sort. Or Brandon McCarthy. Ha.

Every manager generally prefers veterans.

I know Ozzie's made bad decisions. Everyone does. I feel that Mack/Anderson was forced on him by Anderson's approach to hitting, results hitting and attitude, by most accounts. Still a bad decision but a defensible one.

I dread the day he loses his job as Manager.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 08:29 PM)
Its very apparent that Ozzie is going to be given the bait almost everytime he gives an interview to say something outrageous. It appears he can't help himself and will spout off. It will eventually lead to his demise, and a lot of people will be shocked. I won't.

This is why I mentioned before, following Tim Hardaway comments and such, that Williams should specifically instruct the team not to say anything outrageous if they're asked about gays in professional sports. Or really anything with political connotations. You figure a reporter somewhere is dying for the opportunity to ask Guillen what he thinks on the issue, hoping for some homophobic rant. I'm afraid what he may say beforehand.

Its very apparent that Ozzie is going to be given the bait almost everytime he gives an interview to say something outrageous. It appears he can't help himself and will spout off. It will eventually lead to his demise, and a lot of people will be shocked. I won't.

Exactly what I was saying earlier. Nobody cares what he has to say. s***, you can barely understand anything he says anyway. He takes the bait every single time.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 12:45 PM)
Why does this board and a lot of Sox fans in general have to take every single comment Ozzie says and completely overreact to it??

Many here are in the clubhouse day in and day out and have inside knowledge of what's REAL rather than mere fan speculation. Or at least, that's my impression.

I don't care who Ozzie Guillen offends as long as he keeps winning. I'm silly like that.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 08:13 PM)
The weird thing is B-Mac was not the first younger guy to mention the clubhouse. Logan said very similar things about the clubhouse from 2006. Both of their comments were geared towards all the guys being married and older. So it would make sense that B-Mac would be hanging out with Anderson since he was probably the only guy that was near his age and spoke English as a first language.

I don't remember that coming from Logan's mouth last year, but it could have....

That being said, I say HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Boone Logan criticized any clubouse? That to me is VERY funny.

Those of you that say Ozzie "never" gives young guys a chance...what about Boone? He brought that kid to the show and gave him EVERY chance in the world to succeed, yet he s*** the bed repeatedly.

Logan shouldn't be allowed to comment on s***, considering he SHOULD NOT have even been IN the clubouse in 2006. Ozzie took a chance on him....

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 07:32 PM)
Both BA and Bmac had reduced playing time because they were very inconsistent, and downright horrible at times. Bmac could not be depended on for long stretches and had many chances to succeed. BA did better in the 2nd half. Yet hardly enough to play every game no matter the circumstance.

It sounds like BMac was told to stop by the sox, based on BMac's comments. Maybe it's just me, but a fine brings a lot of unwanted attention from around baseball, and could hurt the players value and careers. Trying to keep issues in house and quiet seems like a far better way to go about the "partying" issue.

Sorry, but blaming Ozzie for the sox not repeating because he didn't play Bmac and BA?! I'd go with guys who weren't playing well but trying and going about their business in a professional way over guys who weren't playing well and "being irresponsible". Sounds like what Ozzie did.

I don't believe the Sox would have been guaranteed to repeat had Guillen used BA and BMac more. I do believe Guillen hurt his team's chances at making the playoffs and repeating by diminishing the playing time of BMac and BA.

We're looking from different perspectives. You say BMac was "very inconsistent and downright horrible at times," and I believe he had the starting ability to outpitch Buehrle in the second half, giving the Sox a better chance at making the playoffs and eventually repeating. BMac could have been a better option than Vazquez, Garcia and an injured Contreras over parts of the season.

I never said BA should have played every game in the second half, but do believe Guillen should have started him more because on most days in the second half, BA was Guillen's best option in center field.

Guillen's decision to take the bait is very telling of his maturity and intelligence.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 08:35 PM)
This is why I mentioned before, following Tim Hardaway comments and such, that Williams should specifically instruct the team not to say anything outrageous if they're asked about gays in professional sports. Or really anything with political connotations. You figure a reporter somewhere is dying for the opportunity to ask Guillen what he thinks on the issue, hoping for some homophobic rant. I'm afraid what he may say beforehand.

I'm under the impression that Ozzie isn't a homophobe.

And I don't know anyone else on the team who spouts off about things.

I know McCarthy's a huge Conservative Republican but to the best of my knowledge he didn't talk about that publicly or get asked. Someone mentioned earlier that he'd talk about it all the time in the dugout. I don't know anything about that, though.

Besides him, though, I can't think of anyone on our team that would take such bait besides Ozzie.

And I don't mind it at all.

I'm still missing the part where anyone could possibly be outraged about what McCarthy said.

He said that, as a younger, unmarried guy, he got to know other younger, unmarried guys better than older, married guys. He didn't say he never talked to the older guys, never asked them for advice. Just that he didn't know them very well. Now, maybe when you were in your early 20s, you bugged all the married guys to hang out with them at their kids' soccer games and thrilled to hear kindergarten application banter. Which is fine, but that would make you really f***ing disturbed.

Beyond that, he said the coaches focused on the negatives, and implied that he wasn't getting much support from the coaching staff. Which has never been much of a mystery, and Guillen confirmed it today.

But, hey, Ozzie's just telling it like it is...

QUOTE(chisox72 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 08:08 PM)

What does "veteran presence" mean? Garcia's a guy that, fairly or not, has long been rumored to enjoy his evenings out, admits to taking it easy some games (and certainly looks that way), and shows up his teammates on the field. And it's not like Freddy had a Cy Young season in 2006. His run in September saved him from a truly bad season. He's not the best role model for a young pitcher.

Look, I'm not siging up for the Brandon McCarthy fanclub, I'm just saying that Garcia is at least as "immature" as McCarthy was. Did you read what McCarthy said? He hardly ripped the Sox. He would have been better off not saying anything sure, but nothing he said was really inflammatory. Anyway, forgive me for wishing the Sox manager would conduct himself publicly with a little more class than blaming McCarthy for the Sox not making the playoffs. Guillen has said much worse about the organization when his Sox playing career ended. For him to go off on McCarthy is ridiculous.