Guillen responds to McCarthy's comments

Flash Tizzle

So, it's OK for Ozzie rip someone in the media apart if they aren't performing well? I don't care if a player is complete crap, Ozzie should be able to represent the Sox organization in a professional manner and not lay missing the playoffs at McCarthy's feet on the radio. Does Ozzie going off on Magglio Ordonez bother you more? Magglio actually has some talent, so maybe that's not OK.

If an employee isn't performing well, you try and fix it in-house. You don't rip them apart in public. And if performance doesn't improve, terminate the employment and move on. Don't lay into them after they've left the organization. It's classless and unprfoessional.

Magglio started it, if I recall correctly.

[insert rebuttal of "OZZIE SHOULDN'T HAVE REPLIED!" here]

Ozzie didn't rip Politte in the media, or Cotts, or McCarthy in season. He didn't even really rip him. All he said is, "We might've made the playoffs if not for him" and it seems like something he said in passing. Not like he sat there saying, "McCarthy cost us a playoff return!" or anything.

I need to hear that interview.

Maybe Zito was misinformed but I'm basing my opinion that Ozzie's good to his players and they generally think that from his remarks about what Konerko told him.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 10:19 PM)
How can you say after last year, he was good in dealing with a pitching staff? If by "old-school" approach you mean tiring out arms so they can't perform in August and September when it really mattered, I guess you're right. If it means bringing up a green kid from AA or AAA when a starter's injured to keep the guy who GOT you in the playoffs in 2005 by pitching clutch as a rookie in the bullpen, I guess you're right.

GP, we fundamentally disagree here because from Game One as a Big League Manager - I've seen a guy who never knew when enough was enough from his guy on the mound.

Good pitchers like to go six innings. They like to get their work in. Ozzie lets them. And he lets them get kicked, too, for the experience. So they can learn. It's valuable for a pitcher to be allowed to go out there and compete. Period.

--

I can't possibly be the only person here who thinks everyone's overreacting and that Ozzie's a damn good manager.

I'm leaving this discussion. I can't stand to defend Ozzie from everyone and their mother.

Heads, I got your PM. You'll get yours.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 11:26 PM)

Ozzie didn't rip Politte in the media, or Cotts, or McCarthy in season. He didn't even really rip him. All he said is, "We might've made the playoffs if not for him" and it seems like something he said in passing. Not like he sat there saying, "McCarthy cost us a playoff return!" or anything.

I need to hear that interview.

Maybe Zito was misinformed but I'm basing my opinion that Ozzie's good to his players and they generally think that from his remarks about what Konerko told him.

Good pitchers like to go six innings. They like to get their work in. Ozzie lets them. And he lets them get kicked, too, for the experience. So they can learn. It's valuable for a pitcher to be allowed to go out there and compete. Period.

--

I can't possibly be the only person here who thinks everyone's overreacting and that Ozzie's a damn good manager.

I'm leaving this discussion. I can't stand to defend Ozzie from everyone and their mother.

Heads, I got your PM. You'll get yours.

That's great. I seem to recall that the average White Sox starter last year averaged the longest start in the Majors. I know that was the case for 2005. Wasn't it the case for last year as well?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 3, 2007 -> 04:20 AM)
As far as Garland -- it's general knowledge that Ozzie stuck with Garland longer into games while Jerry "dicked around" with him, taking him out at the first sign of trouble and messing with his confidence.

In 2004, Garland was the same pitcher that he was in the Manuel era.

In 2006, Garland was the same pitcher that he was in the Manuel era.

I appreciate Jon Garland for what he is -- a 4.25-4.50 ERA pitcher who will give you 200 innings each and every year. And, with a little luck, he has years like 2001 and 2005 where he gets good defense and has a bit of luck.

You have no point here. Ozzie has, in no way, 'elevated' Jon Garland's level of pitching.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 10:16 PM)
Tracey shouldn't have sit there sobbing into his hands.

And Guillen wasn't necessarily yelling at him in public. It was in the dugout. Maybe he should've taken it in the dugout but he has the right to let his players know what he wants them to know in the dugout at any time he wants.

OK, the dugout of a major league game has TV cameras on it almost constantly. That's "in public".

Sure I agree, the best thing Tracey could have done was to just sit there stoically and let Guillen scream at him since he didn't have many other options. But imagine if you're a AAA pitcher and you've just seen your career end, with the rest of the world watching. I'm not going to rip into him for sobbing. It's a tough moment.

Managing through intimidation can work, but I'm not a big fan. Ozzie should have shown Tracey the same respect he shows veterans on his team, but he didn't. It was unprofessional.

It's a shame with what's happened here, and it's becoming a common thing. A player moves on from the White Sox and he gets trashed, unless he's one of Ozzie boys e.g Freddy Garcia.

To say that you could have made the playoffs, and didn't because of 1 player, is a cop - out, simple as that.

Baseball is a team sport, you don't rely on 1 guy to put you over the top, and Ozzie better than anyone after what out pitching staff did in the 2005 playoffs, should realize that.

I hope B-Mac has a great career and proves him wrong.

What was so wrong with what Brandon said? The clubhouse is old. People were telling him what he was doing wrong all the time. This is the stuff that gets under Ozzie's skin? Wow. Grow some thicker skin. There was nothing offensive in his comments, IMO.

http://soxmachine.com/blogs/soxmachine/default.aspx

Gotta comment. Heard the audio. It's right there. The audio.

That sounds hateful to some of you?

Jeez.

And he didn't say, "I hate him." Said, "I hate 'em," referring to the comments.

When he made the comments about the playoffs, he said: "I wish him the best of luck. We won ninety and what. How many'd we lose? How many games?"

"90 and seventy two."

"Well he lost five of those seventy two. We might be in the playoffs if not for him."

And then North says, "Didn't Buehrle kills us worse than anyone?" and he says, "Oh yeah, Buehrle knows that. Oh yeah, he know. He know that."

Ozzie ripped McCarthy to shreds. Right.

I can't believe the reaction to this. It's so silly. He had a few criticisms, said some good things, wished him all the best of luck.

Anyone who hasn't heard it should listen to it for themselves.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 3, 2007 -> 04:26 AM)

Yep, Ozzie never said one bad thing about McCarthy during the last year. Do you intentionally forget his rant about McCarthy not being Cy Young? And anyone that thinks Ozzie handled our starters well last year is just....dumb. How many times was he going to let Vazquez get bombed in the 6th inning? How many times was he going to let Garcia and/or Buehrle have their outings go from 6 innings, 3 runs to 6 2/3 innings, 5 runs because he tried to get them thru the inning in order to possibly get the win. Maybe it's better McCarthy isn't here anymore, because Ozzie's leash on him would have been so short.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 10:27 PM)
I appreciate Jon Garland for what he is -- a 4.25-4.50 ERA pitcher who will give you 200 innings each and every year.

Agreed.

And, with a little luck, he has years like 2001 and 2005 where he gets good defense and has a bit of luck.

You have no point here. Ozzie has, in no way, 'elevated' Jon Garland's level of pitching.

Bulls***.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
It's a shame with what's happened here, and it's becoming a common thing. A player moves on from the White Sox and he gets trashed, unless he's one of Ozzie boys e.g Freddy Garcia.

To say that you could have made the playoffs, and didn't because of 1 player, is a cop - out, simple as that.

Baseball is a team sport, you don't rely on 1 guy to put you over the top, and Ozzie better than anyone after what out pitching staff did in the 2005 playoffs, should realize that.

I hope B-Mac has a great career and proves him wrong.

I think it is more like a player moves on, open his mouth about the move, then gets 'trashed' when Oz takes bait and replies. Mags, Thomas, Mac all didn't like being traded/not signed and said so well before OZ ripped into them. That being said, I DO wish he would just shut up about it because it gets old, whoever started it.

Who are you to say that his leash on him would've been short? I'll bet it wouldn't have. He doesn't keep shortleashes.

And he said, "He's not f***ing Cy Young" in response to comments that he should replace one of the five with him and then went on to say that he's not as good as the other five RIGHT NOW.

There's nothing dumb about believing that Ozzie's handling of pitching staffs -- let them pitch their game, they are the Starters -- is generally a good thing and one to be strived for.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 3, 2007 -> 05:19 AM)
And he said, "He's not f***ing Cy Young" in response to comments that he should replace one of the five with him and then went on to say that he's not as good as the other five RIGHT NOW.

Javier Vazquez was horrendous at that point in the season when Ozzie said that. Greg, please tell me that you think that Ozzie disliked McCarthy. If you feel like Ozzie had no animosity towards him, then this argument is pointless.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 3, 2007 -> 05:19 AM)
There's nothing dumb about believing that Ozzie's handling of pitching staffs -- let them pitch their game, they are the Starters -- is generally a good thing and one to be strived for.

It works when your starting pitchers are having dream seasons. It doesn't work when your starting pitchers are struggling and fatigued. Unfortunately, Ozzie didn't adjust to this one time last year. Between playing Mackowiak in CF and leaving the same few starters in for way too long, it worries me about Ozzie's ability to adjust to his team personnel.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Mar 3, 2007 -> 12:10 AM)
What was so wrong with what Brandon said? The clubhouse is old. People were telling him what he was doing wrong all the time. This is the stuff that gets under Ozzie's skin? Wow. Grow some thicker skin. There was nothing offensive in his comments, IMO.

Bingo. Ozzie just hears what he wants to hear.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 3, 2007 -> 12:14 AM)
http://soxmachine.com/blogs/soxmachine/default.aspx

Gotta comment. Heard the audio. It's right there. The audio.

That sounds hateful to some of you?

Jeez.

And he didn't say, "I hate him." Said, "I hate 'em," referring to the comments.

When he made the comments about the playoffs, he said: "I wish him the best of luck. We won ninety and what. How many'd we lose? How many games?"

"90 and seventy two."

"Well he lost five of those seventy two. We might be in the playoffs if not for him."

And then North says, "Didn't Buehrle kills us worse than anyone?" and he says, "Oh yeah, Buehrle knows that. Oh yeah, he know. He know that."

Ozzie ripped McCarthy to shreds. Right.

I can't believe the reaction to this. It's so silly. He had a few criticisms, said some good things, wished him all the best of luck.

Anyone who hasn't heard it should listen to it for themselves.

Blaming McCarthy for the SEASON is the absolute stupidest comment I've heard from anyone connected with the Sox in the last year or so. That's flat idiotic. Just because he grudgingly admits that Buehrle was worse after North reminds him for the umpteenth time in the interview doesn't mean he's being fair. And then, suddenly, he's not so interested in talking about last year's performances, but about spring training and how great he'll be in 2007. Damn curious.

He wasn't even prompted to say that dumb s*** about McCarthy being the reason the Sox failed. That's just mean, petty, whiny bs.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 07:46 PM)
I think anyone trying to defend Ozzie for not being malicious in his comments should listen to the interview. I read about the interview, but it's totally different when you hear it directly from his mouth.

don't you think "malicious" is just a little overboard? You're making more out of this then it is. McCarthy's an unproven talent who chose to bad mouth a clubhouse that he was priviliged enough to share with a world series team as a rook. Ozzie is sticking up for that clubhouse and the players. If you're looking for "no comment" from Guillen then you're kidding yourself. BMac comes off sounding like a resentful punk who got traded from his favorite team. I look forward to rooting against him now and hope he gets shelled.

BMac makes amends. i guess the "kid" is more of a man in this gesture.

The brief exchange of terse words between Ozzie Guillen and Brandon McCarthy appears to have come to an end after McCarthy put in a call to the White Sox manager Friday night.

"We both wished each other well," McCarthy told MLB.com of the phone call. "I wanted to clear the air, and we both had the chance to let the other side know what he was thinking."

Here's the article. Guillen, McCarthy mend relationship

I have no problem with Ozzie saying something to make a point that might help the team,but when he is saying things just to get his name in the paper or hear himself on the radio it just pisses me off.These Ozzie antics have gotten old.Imagine Ozzie Guillen playing for Ozzie I dont think they would have gotten along.

Maybe I'm missing something besides the North interview. But Guillen's comments about Bmac came 13 minutes into the 16 minute interview. From the audio, you can tell it was something he was mad about when brought up. And then he let loose. But it wasn't like Ozzie was just trying to get his name in the papers, or seeking to rip on BMac.

What seemed to rile Ozzie up the most was the comments about the clubhouse. And also thrown in there by Ozzie was something about BMac talking bad about Cooper. My biggest beef was Ozzie's comment about Anderson.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 10:12 PM)
Okay, let me explain it to you.

Javier Vazquez was in the game when the batters were hit. Vazquez had MULTIPLE chances to throw at a Texas batter. Did he do it? No. Did he get berated? No.

Even if you think Tracey was wrong for missing (because he did throw at a batter) -- you yell at him in public. There's absolutely no need to do it to him in public for all the cameras to see.

That was quite a chain of events. Vincente Padilla had an earlier start against the White Sox where he just had a terrible night. The Sox blasted everything he threw up there, he was searching, groping for something to work and took an eternity between pitches. He ended up throwing 87 pitches in 3.1 innings, 7 earned runs, his night in baseball hell, the game took 3-1/2 hours. A.J. rode him unmercifully from the dugout all night long for taking so much time. Mr. Padilla said nothing but he remembered.

10 days later in Texas he came at the White Sox loaded for bear. He threw 8 innings, 3 hit shut out ball in a game that took less than 2-1/2 hours. He remembered A.J. too. Plunked him leading off the second and again in the 4th, in the middle of a shut out. During the game many thought is was Showalter ordering it but the story came out later that it was all Padilla and only Padilla, he didn't even tell Showalter about it.

So the Sox were in a position of defending A.J., who had pretty much got what he deserved. To maintain street cred in baseball they had to throw at somebody but this fight was between A.J. and Padilla, not the two teams. Then Tracey somehow misses the guy and the snowball was rolling!

Tyson Chandler really railed on Scott Skiles to an Oklahoma newpaper, saying he was an awful person etc., comments far more condemning than anything McCarthy said or even Ordonez said. Skiles was asked for a response to the comments. He said he had none. I think Ozzie should take notes.