500-500

southsider2k5

Bonds steals a base in the 11th inning last night, to become the first person ever to steal 500 bases and hit 500 home runs. Unlike some prolific HR hitters, Bonds is still a danger to go. My question is I don't see how anyone can doubt he is the best offensive player of our generation, but who if any ever has been better? Maybe Ruth and Mays?

Comparing numbers to the generation they played in, certainly Ruth. You could argue Williams was a better hitter than Bonds also.

Also, i don't see anyone challenging 500/500 for a long time. That's a really tough milestone to get. I mean, Sosa stole bases for a while, then he turned into a strictly power hitter. And certainly with today's game and the diminished importance and emphasis on the stolen base...who knows if anyone will even get close to that mark.

I just thought of this...kind of random but could play a definite role in the rest of his career. Assuming the cards keep em, i wonder what kind of new ballpark the Cards will have...i have to assume it'd have some sort of left field porch.

Another guy whose put up amazing numbers is Todd Helton. As long as he keeps hitting in Coors he'll have some dominating stats by the time he retires.

Good point on the stadium.

Another guy whose put up amazing numbers is Todd Helton.  As long as he keeps hitting in Coors he'll have some dominating stats by the time he retires. 

Good point on the stadium.

Ya...in no way will the stadium make Pujols put up big numbers...but i think it will be interesting to watch what the park dimensions are...and i predict a very favorable left to left center area.

I see Pujols as a legitimate triple crown threat, especially once a certain juicer retires.

Heck, he could win multiple triple crowns. He's just such a dominant player. I'd say if Bonds numbers slide down until he retires, then Pujols could have a shot in the next few years.

Still, its tough to gage things a few years into the future.

You know who could be triple crown in the AL this year? Carlos Degado.

Let me put it this way. When he gets hot, I don't want to be the pitcher who faces him, because odds are, the ball will be hit hard and what will seem like more times then not, it will be hit out of the park.

Bonds steals a base in the 11th inning last night, to become the first person ever to steal 500 bases and hit 500 home runs.  Unlike some prolific HR hitters, Bonds is still a danger to go.  My question is I don't see how anyone can doubt he is the best offensive player of our generation, but who if any ever has been better?  Maybe Ruth and Mays?

LOL!!!!! I thought this thread was about Mr. Mediocre's(JM) record after a thousand games. :P :P :P :P

You know who could be triple crown in the AL this year?  Carlos Lee.

Woa! I couldn't agree more!!! :lol:

Anyways, I think Bonds would do better than Ruth or Williams in their generations, because of his build. Bonds has to be the greatest offensive guy in MLB history.

Bonds steals a base in the 11th inning last night, to become the first person ever to steal 500 bases and hit 500 home runs.  Unlike some prolific HR hitters, Bonds is still a danger to go.  My question is I don't see how anyone can doubt he is the best offensive player of our generation, but who if any ever has been better?  Maybe Ruth and Mays?

Boy did Gagne look mad after he scored. :o :D

Guest hotsoxchick1

well kudos to bonds... its quite a milestone in his career.....wether you like him or not hes one hell of a ball player and thats something no one can take away from him........

You have to give Barry Bonds all the credit in the world. I remember Mantle and Mays, but not in their prime. Frank Robby, Clemente - who else can you even come close to Bonds with. He has been awesome.... has some helacious stats and still piling them up. He may surpass his godfather as what many consider the greatest player ever.