College baseball?

Felix

Anyone here follow college baseball a fair amount? I went to a Gopher game today (free admission, first row above Gopher dugout ), and it seems like a few friends and I are going to try going to these games regularly.. it's pretty fun to see free baseball (especially since I grabbed a bunch of free ticket vouchers for the rest of the year).

Anyway, I'm looking for some sites that are pretty good for information on college baseball. Anyone have any?

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Mar 5, 2007 -> 12:00 AM)
Do the Gophers play at the metrodome at the beginning of the season?

Yea, we play at the Metrodome until Big 10 play (April), then move to Siebert Field.

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 4, 2007 -> 05:30 PM)
Anyone here follow college baseball a fair amount? I went to a Gopher game today (free admission, first row above Gopher dugout ), and it seems like a few friends and I are going to try going to these games regularly.. it's pretty fun to see free baseball (especially since I grabbed a bunch of free ticket vouchers for the rest of the year).

Anyway, I'm looking for some sites that are pretty good for information on college baseball. Anyone have any?

Baseballamerica.com

They usually have quite a bit of free reading on college baseball and obviously some of it is pay. I follow it relatively closely than most but I'm not an expert by any means. I'll watch the games when I see them on ESPN and will go to the Fullerton games where we play other top schools (such as against Rice this weekend) where we took 2 out of 3 and should move up in the rankings as a result.

We have a Sunday starter that is looking like a potential All Freshman Team Candidate in Sean Urena. Another good place is your schools website, they'll probably have good info on the Gopher players.

I know in the past you guys have made it to the tourney and I think a couple years ago we knocked you out (back when you had Perkins).

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Mar 5, 2007 -> 02:13 PM)
Hey Felix, you got any info on Indiana? I know Big 10 play hasn't started yet, but I was wondering if you have heard anything about them.

I'm basically clueless about the rest of the Big 10, which is why I'm looking for websites to check up on daily (preferably related to teams I care about, such as the Big 10 in general and Minnesota specifically). I know that Michigan won it last year, and that the Gophers are usually competitive in Big 10 play. It seems like the stuff I wanted is on Baseball America, but insider only :(

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Mar 5, 2007 -> 03:13 PM)
Hey Felix, you got any info on Indiana? I know Big 10 play hasn't started yet, but I was wondering if you have heard anything about them.

Indiana has a fairly new coach and if definently going in the right direction. Starting to pull in some of the talent in Indiana, but is still probably a few years away.

The team I'll be playing for next year, the Indiana State Sycamores, are off to a 4-2 start and play Indiana tomorrow afternoon so I'll check out the boxscore for you.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Mar 5, 2007 -> 07:42 PM)
Indiana has a fairly new coach and if definently going in the right direction. Starting to pull in some of the talent in Indiana, but is still probably a few years away.

The team I'll be playing for next year, the Indiana State Sycamores, are off to a 4-2 start and play Indiana tomorrow afternoon so I'll check out the boxscore for you.

Thank you. What pos do you play?

If it's Big Ten, your team is generally not good because of the weather problems. Minnesota, Ohio State, and Michigan are supposed to be decent and all 3 have good chances at the tournament. That said, none of them are ranked.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 5, 2007 -> 02:14 PM)
New poll out...FSU to 5, CSUF up to 7 and Rex's Evansville squad re-enters the rankings at 25.

And Palehose's Tarheels remain the #1 ranked team in the country.

dont forget my commodores at #2....also 17-0, actually are #1 in another

Last Friday, UIC traveled to Nashville to face #1 ranked Vanderbilt. While they lost all three games, the first two (2-1, 1-0) were hard fought decisions.

David Price, as one may expect from the nation's top pitching prospect, dominated in Game 1:

-9 innings, 4 hits, 1 earned run, 1 walk, 16 strikeouts.

If Tampa Bay doesn't draft him first I may cry. Hell, even if he goes first Kansas City still has Cole St. Clair or Matt Harvey to choose from.

People may think I'm crazy, but I could definitely see the Royals turning themselves around within the next three/four years if Hochevar/whomever is drafted this year project to their abilities. Their offense certainly won't be a problem.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 11:53 PM)
Last Friday, UIC traveled to Nashville to face #1 ranked Vanderbilt. While they lost all three games, the first two (2-1, 1-0) were hard fought decisions.

David Price, as one may expect from the nation's top pitching prospect, dominated in Game 1:

-9 innings, 4 hits, 1 earned run, 1 walk, 16 strikeouts.

If Tampa Bay doesn't draft him first I may cry. Hell, even if he goes first Kansas City still has Cole St. Clair or Matt Harvey to choose from.

People may think I'm crazy, but I could definitely see the Royals turning themselves around within the next three/four years if Hochevar/whomever is drafted this year project to their abilities. Their offense certainly won't be a problem.

supposedly price hit 99 four or five times during that game....casey weathers was sittin 97-98 in game 2....both guys are down right nasty

QUOTE(daa84 @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 11:42 PM)
supposedly price hit 99 four or five times during that game....casey weathers was sittin 97-98 in game 2....both guys are down right nasty

Friends I spoke to today told me Price's 'stuff' is unbelievable. Best they've ever seen in four years of collegiate baseball. I didn't ask them about Weathers, though.

I'm definitely interested in watching Vanderbilt this year in the College World Series.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 01:03 AM)
Friends I spoke to today told me Price's 'stuff' is unbelievable. Best they've ever seen in four years of collegiate baseball. I didn't ask them about Weathers, though.

I'm definitely interested in watching Vanderbilt this year in the College World Series.

Price is just nuts.....10 IP today, 2 ER, 2 BB 4 H 14 K.....thats his third straight complete game with 11+ Ks

Basically Big Ten baseball sucks. The weather just puts them at way too big of a disadvantage against SEC, ACC and teams from conferences in the West.

A perfect example....

My freshman year in college (I played at Evansville) we had practiced outside for all of about 2 1/2 weeks. We opened the season with two wins over Austin Peay (one at their place, one at ours). We then left on our Spring Trip, stopping in Atlanta to play Georgia Tech on the way. We get there and on the marquee outside the stadium it said...

Baseball Today

#2 Yellow Jackets (17-0) vs. Evansville

Needless to say we left town at 2-2 and GA Tech at 19-0.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 11:11 PM)
Basically Big Ten baseball sucks. The weather just puts them at way too big of a disadvantage against SEC, ACC and teams from conferences in the West.

A perfect example....

My freshman year in college (I played at Evansville) we had practiced outside for all of about 2 1/2 weeks. We opened the season with two wins over Austin Peay (one at their place, one at ours). We then left on our Spring Trip, stopping in Atlanta to play Georgia Tech on the way. We get there and on the marquee outside the stadium it said...

Baseball Today

#2 Yellow Jackets (17-0) vs. Evansville

Needless to say we left town at 2-2 and GA Tech at 19-0.

At least next year they will have the uniform start date which will help the competitive balance.

The Gophers are having a solid year so far at 11-5, beating two top 10 teams (Arkansas, Pepperdine). As I'm someone who just started "following" college baseball, how common are these types of wins? Any chance the Gophers would ever creep up the rankings because of them, or would many, many more be needed? (one was earlier in the year)

I don't know much about college baseball either, so I can't really help you out. I just started following them now when I got to college.

FSU is now 23-0, the last undefeated team in the country. They also took over the number 1 ranking in one of the polls.

UNC went from #1 ranked team in the nation to the 4th ranked team in the ACC(#7 overall) in the latest BaseballAmerica poll.

Still, things are going very well both offensively and pitching wise. UNC has a bright future after last years recruiting class with a lot of good freshmen contributing. Also, pre-season A-A Chad Flack is having a miserable season, but others have been picking him up.