Overrated

southsider2k5

Guest Ncorgbl
My question is whoelse should be on this list if it was just MLB?

Colon at 6-7 and an ERA close to 4 would top my list of local players, followed immediately by 'Corky' Soso.

Guest Ncorgbl
Yes, the 6-7 record and the ERA in the 4's is not that great but people seem to overlook that he leads the MLB in complete games! He is gonna go out there and give your bullpen some rest every time he pitches.

I understand what you are saying, however, does this team strike you as needing rest? There has been a whole lot of talk about them being 'lackadasical', so rest isn't high on my priority list, but 'W's are. And he's not getting us those.

I understand what you are saying, however, does this team strike you as needing rest? There has been a whole lot of talk about them being 'lackadasical', so rest isn't high on my priority list, but 'W's are. And he's not getting us those.

You do have to admit it can't hurt to have a fresh pen. As long as he isn't burning out it is good he's chewing up innings. It's not like we have this stud bullpen we all love to see in action.

I appreciate the innings and the complete games but looking at it objectively he may not be a bust, but he's definitely a dissapointment. No way he is a stud or has he lived up to the preseason hype, which I might add I totally bought in to.

Guest Ncorgbl
You do have to admit it can't hurt to have a fresh pen. As long as he isn't burning out it is good he's chewing up innings. It's not like we have this stud bullpen we all love to see in action.

Face it, we're never happy!

Marte', Wunsch, White is coming around, Gordon is coming around, it's not that bad. It could be real good.

I still think our 'tub of goo' quit on us Sunday.

Quitting on us. Thats pitching 8 strong innings and giving up 0 runs to you?

He asked to come out. Either he quit on us or his lack of conditioning is a problem. Once he starts to feel Chicago summers he may wish to shed a pound of two. Eilber Wood had almost the same athletic build as I dimly recall but he wasn't a fast ball pitcher. At his pace he could loaf all day.

There has been a whole lot of talk about them being 'lackadasical', so rest isn't high on my priority list, but 'W's are. And he's not getting us those.

It's pretty hard to get the said 'W's when you are forced to leave the game with a 1-0 lead and BP blows it..

If you think Mark Burly or Loaiza have more talent and ability than Colon, you're f***in' insane. Considering how Marky-Mark's record and ERA you'd think he and his fans would be a touch humbled.

(Not that I don't agree with your assessment of Bartolo's lack of desire and embarassing out-of-shapeness....but his pitching skills go far and beyond other Sox pitchers. If he goes on a diet, he is the second best pitcher in AL, pure all-star talent)

There is some evidence to support the "quit on us" opinion. Not to change the subject but wasn't Zambrano fired up? What got into him? Was he just caught up in the intensity of the rivalry or was it something personal? In any case there was no "quit" in Zambrano that day. I was one of the ones who roasted Manuel for taking Colon out. Maybe Colon took himself out. Only 97 pitches right? He's supposed to have the most stamina of just about any starter in MLB. A chance to really make a point. You'd have to pry the ball from my hands. "Quit on us?" I don't dismiss it, his after games comments (at least the ones I read) left me wondering.

Guest Ncorgbl
Quitting on us. Thats pitching 8 strong innings and giving up 0 runs to you?

That was 7 no run, 3 hit, and a few walk innings. Then, at 97 pitches in 84 degree weather, low humidity, he got tired. Yes, based on his recent quotes and his record here, I think he quit. The tub of goo is not Canadien, nor born and raised in any cold climate I know of.

At the major league level talent is almost equal, it's what you get out of your talent that matters. If you are correct that by going on a diet he would be the 2nd best pitcher in the AL, then what does that say about his desire? If he can't give us enough effort to push away from the table that's sad.

I still believe that Bart and Mark give us a great 1-2 start of a rotation for the next 5 years is we cab get them signed. I think Bart needs an attitude adjustment.

That was 7 no run, 3 hit, and a few walk innings. Then, at 97 pitches in 84 degree weather, low humidity, he got tired. Yes, based on his recent quotes and his record here, I think he quit. The tub of goo is not Canadien, nor born and raised in any cold climate I know of.

you can acclimate fairly quickly to any climate. I went from Chicago to deep south Texas. A couple months later I was walking 18 holes in 105 degree weather and not wilting.

Historically what has been Bart's weight?

Guest Ncorgbl
It's pretty hard to get the said 'W's when you are forced to leave the game with a 1-0 lead and BP blows it..

If you think Mark Burly or Loaiza have more talent and ability than Colon, you're f***in' insane.  Considering how Marky-Mark's record and ERA you'd think he and his fans would be a touch humbled. 

(Not that I don't agree with your assessment of Bartolo's lack of desire and embarassing out-of-shapeness....but his pitching skills go far and beyond other Sox pitchers.  If he goes on a diet, he is the second best pitcher in AL, pure all-star talent)

Colon was not forced out of the game.

No one has questioned his talent at all. It's his attitude. (Suddenly I get a 'Top Gun' flashback!)

But at 6-7 and an ERA close to 4 he's not in the top 20 pitchers.

He asked to come out. Either he quit on us or his lack of conditioning is a problem. Once he starts to feel Chicago summers he may wish to shed a pound of two. Eilber Wood had almost the same athletic build as I dimly recall but he wasn't a fast ball pitcher. At his pace he could loaf all day.

He has a finger injury also...

I don't know how much i agree with Erstad being overrated that much.

He had one big year..however i believe most people know it was an aberration anyway. He hits decent, runs well, and plays ridiculously solid defense. He's not even talked about that much for anything other than defense.

Being in the Anaheim area, I've got to see Darrin play a lot and I've always felt he was rather over-rated. Offensively he's a good player, but he's not special. When the Angels gave him a contract worth 8 mill a year longterm I thought they were fools.

That being said, Erstad is an awesome player to have on your team and for him being over-rated offensively, he's awesome defensively and is a team player. He also is great in the clutch and is willing to do the little things.

Because of that, It would be tough to have him on the list. He's a fun player to watch, thast for sure.