Lance Briggs Quote

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 7, 2007 -> 08:41 AM)
Your right in principle, but simply put, any pro team that won't rip up cheap, older contracts will be known as cheap, regardless of if it's right or wrong. Also, I'm not sure how that applies to Briggs. He signed a 4 year contract, played it out, and now he's getting screwed. Thing is, that's not the Bears fault, but rather the fault of NFL ass kisser Gene Upshaw and his "players assocation" who let the franchise tag quagmire exist.

^^^^^^^

Exactly. Last time I checked, Briggs was a player...represented by the NFLPA. Upshaw signed it. Deal with it. I can't believe a 1000% raise is considered disrespect. Even if the Bears franchise him again next year, it's going to be almost $9mil GUARANTEED!!! And THEN he goes on the open market. I don't know, I say...let him stew. Or maybe get the rest of the team, that's not disgruntled to kidnap him and stick him in one of the blocking dummies and get CLOBBERED by his team.

Shoot, if he would have just ASKED Angelo and Phillips to get him out instead of b***hing to the press, maybe he woulda been gone by now?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 7, 2007 -> 09:41 AM)
Your right in principle, but simply put, any pro team that won't rip up cheap, older contracts will be known as cheap, regardless of if it's right or wrong. Also, I'm not sure how that applies to Briggs. He signed a 4 year contract, played it out, and now he's getting screwed. Thing is, that's not the Bears fault, but rather the fault of NFL ass kisser Gene Upshaw and his "players assocation" who let the franchise tag quagmire exist.

When was the last time an underperforming player had his contract ripped up for a lesser one?

QUOTE(Wedge @ Mar 7, 2007 -> 09:54 AM)
When was the last time an underperforming player had his contract ripped up for a lesser one?

Huh? I was talking about Briggs, are you saying he underperformed?

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 7, 2007 -> 09:45 AM)
^^^^^^^

Exactly. Last time I checked, Briggs was a player...represented by the NFLPA. Upshaw signed it. Deal with it. I can't believe a 1000% raise is considered disrespect. Even if the Bears franchise him again next year, it's going to be almost $9mil GUARANTEED!!! And THEN he goes on the open market. I don't know, I say...let him stew. Or maybe get the rest of the team, that's not disgruntled to kidnap him and stick him in one of the blocking dummies and get CLOBBERED by his team.

Shoot, if he would have just ASKED Angelo and Phillips to get him out instead of b***hing to the press, maybe he woulda been gone by now?

Just for the record, with the new rule, you can only be franchised twice, and if you are franchised the 2nd time, it goes from top 5 pay average at your position to top 5 among ALL PLAYERS, so I doubt they'd do it again. Briggs will try to T.O. this and be a little b**** until he forces a trade, but my guess is he holds out well into August (maybe through all the preseason games), but suits up for the season. 7.2 is 7.2, and if he has another really good season (which he will if healthy), he'll get his paper.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 7, 2007 -> 12:22 PM)
Huh? I was talking about Briggs, are you saying he underperformed?

I think he was just speaking in general terms. Like why should a team rip up a cheap contract and give the player a new lucrative deal for overperforming when they can't rip up a lucrative deal for a cheap one when a player underperforms.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 7, 2007 -> 01:36 PM)
I think he was just speaking in general terms. Like why should a team rip up a cheap contract and give the player a new lucrative deal for overperforming when they can't rip up a lucrative deal for a cheap one when a player underperforms.

yeah, that's my point basically.

I just heard Lance on the Score earlier tonihgt say that he was willing to sit out the year if need be, because 'there is no security in $7.2 million'. What is he smoking? Sure, it doesn't go as far if you want to buy Ferraris, but how can you not take $7 mil and make yourself set for life? And of course, continuing to couch it all in the 'disrespect' mode, while saying that is wasn't about the money. If he sits out a whole year, i don't care HOW much 'training' he does, he won't be the same with a year of no hitting and not playing at game speed.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 11:45 PM)
I dont see how a player can be pissy about this, you make a guaranteed 7.2 million next season than either if he gets franchised again he will make 9 plus million or he will be a f/a and get the deal he wants. I just cant side with a player in this situation at all.

He wants his 20 to 25 million guaranteed (Porter got like 23) in addition to the salary, it's pretty simple what he wants. The problem is, he doesn't seem to get that his choices are play for the Bears this year, OR sit out all year and lose himself a ton of money both in 2007 and beyond since nobody wants a guy that sat out a year. He can piss and moan all he wants at this pathetic system that loser Gene Upshaw created, but he has no choice but to play.

I just love how he's saying that he's going to take out loans to make it through the year if he doesn't play. Enjoy that, Lance. He's got to be getting some really bad advice from somewhere. I mean, $7.2 million GUARANTEED AND I doubt the Bears would franchise him again, because they will either draft or scout potential OLB free agents next year and pounce. What an idiot.

He's just making it worse for himself.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:16 PM)
I just love how he's saying that he's going to take out loans to make it through the year if he doesn't play. Enjoy that, Lance. He's got to be getting some really bad advice from somewhere. I mean, $7.2 million GUARANTEED AND I doubt the Bears would franchise him again, because they will either draft or scout potential OLB free agents next year and pounce. What an idiot.

He's just making it worse for himself.

...and if the Bears really wanted to stick it to him..let him take out a loan and then put the franchise tag on him again next year. If he sits out two straight years it will be hard for him to come back at all. Briggs wants to be paid like he's the man....i got two words for you...Rosie Colvin.

It's all posturing. There is absolutely no way Lance sits out the year. For one he not only forgoes his salary, but I think he is penalized for not coming to practices etc... as well.

and two he will not get a contract bigger than what the Bears offered him last year if he sits out a whole year.

The only interesting thing he said id that the bears offer was 7-33 mill when it was reported everywhere as 6-33. I'm curious what the truth is on that.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 10:53 AM)
It's all posturing. There is absolutely no way Lance sits out the year. For one he not only forgoes his salary, but I think he is penalized for not coming to practices etc... as well.

and two he will not get a contract bigger than what the Bears offered him last year if he sits out a whole year.

The only interesting thing he said id that the bears offer was 7-33 mill when it was reported everywhere as 6-33. I'm curious what the truth is on that.

I think it's more than posturing. Most times, players threaten. They don't make these HUGE ultimatums. And that's just what he is doing. "I'll never take another snap for the Bears."

That's more than posturing to me. It's being completely unreasonable. And as 2k5 said...I wish someone would insult me for $7.2 million.

As self rewarding as it would be to make him sit out it will hurt our team overall. We still can get value for him in a trade and thats what we should do instead of keep trying to stick it to him. This also makes our organization look bad and could really detour free agents from wanting to sign here. Why would they when they see stuff like this happening.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 11:54 AM)
As self rewarding as it would be to make him sit out it will hurt our team overall. We still can get value for him in a trade and thats what we should do instead of keep trying to stick it to him. This also makes our organization look bad and could really detour free agents from wanting to sign here. Why would they when they see stuff like this happening.

Because many players will never see 7 years/$33mil. I mean, c'mon, you can't tell me that there aren't players that are saying, "You offer me that contract and I'll play for you."

His posturing makes Lance Briggs look bad. 6 or 7 years at $33 mil is a good contract. I'm assuming that would be about $3 mil per year with $15 mil guaranteed signing bonus...sound right? That's a DAMN good contract. Someone is in his ear saying he's as good or better than the top tier of linebackers in this league. While he's good, he's not as good as Urlacher, Merriman, Ray Lewis, and maybe even Zach Thomas.

Personally, I say, let him sit...let's see what Rod Wilson or Jamar Williams has. Or draft Pozlusny and see what he's got. But let him stew.

The Bears did what the players agreed to...the franchise tag. Deal with it.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 11:02 AM)
Because many players will never see 7 years/$33mil. I mean, c'mon, you can't tell me that there aren't players that are saying, "You offer me that contract and I'll play for you."

His posturing makes Lance Briggs look bad. 6 or 7 years at $33 mil is a good contract. I'm assuming that would be about $3 mil per year with $15 mil guaranteed signing bonus...sound right? That's a DAMN good contract. Someone is in his ear saying he's as good or better than the top tier of linebackers in this league. While he's good, he's not as good as Urlacher, Merriman, Ray Lewis, and maybe even Zach Thomas.

Personally, I say, let him sit...let's see what Rod Wilson or Jamar Williams has. Or draft Pozlusny and see what he's got. But let him stew.

The Bears did what the players agreed to...the franchise tag. Deal with it.

TO some players thats a great contract but to one it isnt, and thats his right. The Bears arent doing anything wrong technically but that doesnt mean he has to honor it. He has the right to sit out just like we have the right to franchise. He wants to leave...oh well, trade him and move on. This seams to Jr. High to me and I wish it would be over with.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:54 PM)
TO some players thats a great contract but to one it isnt, and thats his right. The Bears arent doing anything wrong technically but that doesnt mean he has to honor it. He has the right to sit out just like we have the right to franchise. He wants to leave...oh well, trade him and move on. This seams to Jr. High to me and I wish it would be over with.

Why should the Bears hurt themselves just for playing by the rules. If someone offers us a good deal then fine we'll trade him. I'm sure Angelo will listen to offers, but Angelo has no negotiating power. Every team in the league knows Lance's stance now, which means the Bears will most likely get the lesser end of the deal. Funk that.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:26 PM)
Why should the Bears hurt themselves just for playing by the rules. If someone offers us a good deal then fine we'll trade him. I'm sure Angelo will listen to offers, but Angelo has no negotiating power. Every team in the league knows Lance's stance now, which means the Bears will most likely get the lesser end of the deal. Funk that.

Would you rather let him sit and then walk next year or try to get some kind of draft picks for him and just get it over with. I dont agree with Lances tactics but if he wants to go be "the man" somewhere else Id rather get something for him now then let him walk next year.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 03:30 PM)
Would you rather let him sit and then walk next year or try to get some kind of draft picks for him and just get it over with. I dont agree with Lances tactics but if he wants to go be "the man" somewhere else Id rather get something for him now then let him walk next year.

Yeah, I'd rather let him sit unless we get what we deem to be fair value. Either way I don't think he is going to sit out.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 03:42 PM)
Yeah, I'd rather let him sit unless we get what we deem to be fair value. Either way I don't think he is going to sit out.

I agree...you don't pay him, in fact, he's fined for missing practices and games, I think. AND, he hurts his own value by sitting.

If someone tried to sign him, the Bears get two first rounders, yes? That should be the starting point with any trade discussions. Why should the Bears take less? It's a business and the Bears are playing by the rules. Of course, Lance can do what he wants, it's his prerogative. But, he's only hurting himself....

Other players have tried this before and even sat out the year, Sean Gilbert of the Redskins comes to mind. His career was never the same after he came back.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 04:46 PM)
I agree...you don't pay him, in fact, he's fined for missing practices and games, I think. AND, he hurts his own value by sitting.

If someone tried to sign him, the Bears get two first rounders, yes? That should be the starting point with any trade discussions. Why should the Bears take less? It's a business and the Bears are playing by the rules. Of course, Lance can do what he wants, it's his prerogative. But, he's only hurting himself....

Other players have tried this before and even sat out the year, Sean Gilbert of the Redskins comes to mind. His career was never the same after he came back.

Lol, you take less because noone ever offers two firsts. Noone ever signs franchise tag players.

I don't mind waiting for a good offer, but if you think we'd ever get two firsts, you're deluding yourself.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 03:55 PM)
Lol, you take less because noone ever offers two firsts. Noone ever signs franchise tag players.

I don't mind waiting for a good offer, but if you think we'd ever get two firsts, you're deluding yourself.

That's the point I was making. If a team comes to Angelo, that's where you start. If they say, no f'in way, which they absolutely will, then what's the difference? Lance still sits.