Lance Briggs Quote

The problem with the number 6 pick would be Angelo is better at drafting later rather than early. Would you trade Lance Briggs for Michael Haynes, Curtis Enis, Rashan Salam, Cade McNown, Marc Columbo, yada, yada, yada. I do not see the Bears making this move by the way unless there is experienced talent involved.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 12:02 PM)
The problem with the number 6 pick would be Angelo is better at drafting later rather than early. Would you trade Lance Briggs for Michael Haynes, Curtis Enis, Rashan Salam, Cade McNown, Marc Columbo, yada, yada, yada. I do not see the Bears making this move by the way unless there is experienced talent involved.

You really have no concept how long Angelo's been with the Bears, do you?

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 11:26 AM)
You really have no concept how long Angelo's been with the Bears, do you?

He's right, though. Not on the picks, but Angelo is better at finding hidden gems. Plus, there are really only 4 or 5 impact players in this draft and last I checked 4 or 5 isn't 6. And there was something on ESPN today that the 'Skins are having trouble trading out of the 6 spot for multiple picks lower in the draft.

I think that's why the Bears are "waiting." To see if they can get something else out of that 6 pick. If they can, they make the deal. If they can't, they tell Snyder to sweeten the pot.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 12:35 PM)
He's right, though. Not on the picks, but Angelo is better at finding hidden gems. Plus, there are really only 4 or 5 impact players in this draft and last I checked 4 or 5 isn't 6. And there was something on ESPN today that the 'Skins are having trouble trading out of the 6 spot for multiple picks lower in the draft.

I think that's why the Bears are "waiting." To see if they can get something else out of that 6 pick. If they can, they make the deal. If they can't, they tell Snyder to sweeten the pot.

Angelo's five first-round picks:

Colombo

Haynes

Grossman

Harris

Benson

Right now, you'd have to say two bombed (Colombo and Haynes). I don't think Colombo was a bad pick. If he hadn't been injured, I expect he would have been a mild disappointment, still, but not a bust. I never liked the Haynes pick, but then, the guy I preferred (McDougle, who went next) hasn't done much, either. And before Jauron was fired, you don't know whose pick it really was (as Jauron had a lot to say about personnel). Grossman is a qb, it's boom or bust with such picks, and right now it's still up in the air. He hit a home run on Harris, and Benson is still something of a question mark. Angelo's found some great players in lower rounds, sure. But his track record doesn't show bomb after bomb on first-round picks, like Jenks was suggesting with that list. If anything, he looks like a huge improvement over what we were doing before.

And you mind telling me which of these is not an impact player?: Quinn, Russell, Johnson, Thomas, Peterson, Landry

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 12:22 PM)
Angelo's five first-round picks:

Colombo

Haynes

Grossman

Harris

Benson

Right now, you'd have to say two bombed (Colombo and Haynes). I don't think Colombo was a bad pick. If he hadn't been injured, I expect he would have been a mild disappointment, still, but not a bust. I never liked the Haynes pick, but then, the guy I preferred (McDougle, who went next) hasn't done much, either. And before Jauron was fired, you don't know whose pick it really was (as Jauron had a lot to say about personnel). Grossman is a qb, it's boom or bust with such picks, and right now it's still up in the air. He hit a home run on Harris, and Benson is still something of a question mark. Angelo's found some great players in lower rounds, sure. But his track record doesn't show bomb after bomb on first-round picks, like Jenks was suggesting with that list. If anything, he looks like a huge improvement over what we were doing before.

And you mind telling me which of these is not an impact player?: Quinn, Russell, Johnson, Thomas, Peterson, Landry

I think Angelo is a great GM. I also think that he would rather trade out of the first round and use that money to extend proven players than pick an unknown player and risk losing money (last year). Didn't he also trade a high pick to move down when he got Haynes and Grossman. Compare that to guys he has taken in later rounds and there is no comparison as to when he does his best work. The guys that I pointed out were more to show that just because you have a high first round pick, you are not going to get a proven commodity in return. If they draft number 6, you have to give up a nice chunck of money for a player that may or may not pan out. I do not really see this as a benefit.

I am not sold on Benson as he has not shown the ability to be durable.

Has Angelo ever traded up in a draft? I almost would rather have him have the 31 pick and the extra money. Of the six players you have listed as impact three of them serve no purpose to the Bears (Quinn, Russell and Peterson). You are trading Jones, Briggs and your number one for the 6th pick in the draft and the 2nd round flip of picks. Sounds like a-lot to give up to me.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 10:56 AM)
Has Angelo ever traded up in a draft? I almost would rather have him have the 31 pick and the extra money. Of the six players you have listed as impact three of them serve no purpose to the Bears (Quinn, Russell and Peterson). You are trading Jones, Briggs and your number one for the 6th pick in the draft and the 2nd round flip of picks. Sounds like a-lot to give up to me.

It's entirely possible that the Bears might trade up to the 6th pick and then drop back to pick up 2 more low-first/high-second-round picks. In fact, I believe that was hinted at in a lot of press reports this morning, which would be another very smart thing for the Bears to do. Especially if they could get a pick in the high-20's where they could go after that OLB from Penn State.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 01:56 PM)
I think Angelo is a great GM. I also think that he would rather trade out of the first round and use that money to extend proven players than pick an unknown player and risk losing money (last year). Didn't he also trade a high pick to move down when he got Haynes and Grossman. Compare that to guys he has taken in later rounds and there is no comparison as to when he does his best work. The guys that I pointed out were more to show that just because you have a high first round pick, you are not going to get a proven commodity in return. If they draft number 6, you have to give up a nice chunck of money for a player that may or may not pan out. I do not really see this as a benefit.

I am not sold on Benson as he has not shown the ability to be durable.

I don't know what you're trying to prove to me. You said Angelo "is better at drafting later rather than early", and listed a bunch of guys, most of whom weren't Angelo's picks. I'm not saying the Bears should draft at 6, personally I hope they don't.

Ideally, the Bears would make this trade, then shop it down for a lower first-round pick and some lower-round/2008 picks. Going by the standard value chart, the 1st round pick swap is worth 16th pick in the draft. In other words, it would be like swapping Briggs for the 16th overall pick. It's hard to pass up that much value for someone who plays for the Bears, at most, one more year.

Also, I don't know why the Jones trade has anything to do with this. That much is done, just analyze the Briggs trade on its own merits.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 12:22 PM)

I'm not saying they aren't impact players period, they just don't have a place on the Bears, like JH said. I would love to have Thomas or Johnson, but they aren't dropping to 6. THAT'S the problem. I don't think Peterson is going to bet THAT good, especially after the injury. Russell's gone to the Raiders and Quinn looks like he may be going to the Browns.

EVERYONE is leary of drafting a safety that high.

And, according to an article on ESPN about the trade, the Redskins are having trouble trading out of the 6th pick to move down. If that's the case, then what make you think the Bears would ahve an easier time? Personally, I'll take the 6th pick AND a 3rd rounder for Briggs and the 31st. If they won't do that...go re-sign Arrington.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 03:38 PM)
I'm not saying they aren't impact players period, they just don't have a place on the Bears, like JH said. I would love to have Thomas or Johnson, but they aren't dropping to 6. THAT'S the problem. I don't think Peterson is going to bet THAT good, especially after the injury. Russell's gone to the Raiders and Quinn looks like he may be going to the Browns.

EVERYONE is leary of drafting a safety that high.

And, according to an article on ESPN about the trade, the Redskins are having trouble trading out of the 6th pick to move down. If that's the case, then what make you think the Bears would ahve an easier time? Personally, I'll take the 6th pick AND a 3rd rounder for Briggs and the 31st. If they won't do that...go re-sign Arrington.

So you were saying there are 4 or 5 impact players that DO have a place on the Bears? Not in that group, that I can see.

I don't think that's right, about drafting a safety that high. Taylor went 5th, Huff went 7th. Everyone has seen what Ed Reed has done for Baltimore -- a guy with Landry's ability is worth a top pick.

Not to mention the dlinemen available -- Anderson, Adams, Branch, and Okoye won't drop very far.

I'm just saying there probably will be teams willing to trade up. That's why I always qualify this with words like "ideally". If I were Angelo, I'd try to find out if anyone is interested. And I'd try to get the Redskins to trade down themselves for a pick that could be swapped straight-up for Briggs (like the Falcons did last year to get Abraham). But I don't expect to get more than a 16th overall pick for Briggs. Even if you lose a little value on the trade-down, it's a good deal for a player that doesn't look very useful to the team.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 03:38 PM)
So you were saying there are 4 or 5 impact players that DO have a place on the Bears? Not in that group, that I can see.

I don't think that's right, about drafting a safety that high. Taylor went 5th, Huff went 7th. Everyone has seen what Ed Reed has done for Baltimore -- a guy with Landry's ability is worth a top pick.

Not to mention the dlinemen available -- Anderson, Adams, Branch, and Okoye won't drop very far.

I'm just saying there probably will be teams willing to trade up. That's why I always qualify this with words like "ideally". If I were Angelo, I'd try to find out if anyone is interested. And I'd try to get the Redskins to trade down themselves for a pick that could be swapped straight-up for Briggs (like the Falcons did last year to get Abraham). But I don't expect to get more than a 16th overall pick for Briggs. Even if you lose a little value on the trade-down, it's a good deal for a player that doesn't look very useful to the team.

Taylor is great, if he doesn't derail his career with personal problems. Huff and Reed are good examples, though. I was just repeating what I read on ESPN about the Redskins having trouble. And my point was that there weren't impact players WORTHY of the money that goes along with the number 6 pick. I'm not sold on any of those players you mentioned as a 6. Maybe 15-32 range, but not 6.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 06:00 PM)
Taylor is great, if he doesn't derail his career with personal problems. Huff and Reed are good examples, though. I was just repeating what I read on ESPN about the Redskins having trouble. And my point was that there weren't impact players WORTHY of the money that goes along with the number 6 pick. I'm not sold on any of those players you mentioned as a 6. Maybe 15-32 range, but not 6.

Well, I wasn't saying Reed was picked there, only that he's shown how valuable a safety with that speed can be. He went much lower (still a first-rounder, but towards the bottom). Now everyone's looking for the next Ed Reed.

I'm betting almost all of those go higher than 15. We'll see.

An official offer from the Redskins.

Skins make offer for Briggs

Mike Mulligan says Bears must weigh many factors before deciding whether to accept deal, move up to No. 6 in draft

PHOENIX -- Lance Briggs is close to getting everything he wants. The only question is whether the Bears can afford to let him fulfill his dreams.

Multiple sources confirmed Tuesday that the Washington Redskins have made a formal trade offer to the Bears for the Pro Bowl linebacker, offering a swap of first-round picks that would put the Bears near the top of the first round at No. 6 overall for Briggs and the No. 31 selection.

''That's what I have been told,'' said Drew Rosenhaus, Briggs' agent. ''The two teams have talked, and it's in their hands now.''

Sources said the Redskins are set to pay Briggs $20 million in guaranteed money as part of a multiyear deal that will average $7.5 million per season. It's a sweet deal for a guy who played out his rookie contract only to be hit with the franchise tag by the Bears, which means he would get $7.2 million for one year.

The tricky part now for Rosenhaus and Briggs is getting the Bears to go along with the plan. That isn't going to happen very quickly.

''We're going to take it under advisement, and if it is something we're going to pursue, we'll get back to them,'' Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said. ''We are not negotiating through the media.''

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...mully28.article

The deal he turned down last year was for 6 years at $5.5 million a year with an estimated $15 million in guaranteed money.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 02:08 AM)
The #6 pick for a linebacker who'll be 27 in November and can't play in a 3-4 seems like an awful lot to give up.

well, he is a pro-bowler and supposedly in the top 5 for his position in the league. you know what you're getting with Briggs. that #6 could be a bust.

but if Angelo makes the deal i won't complain.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 07:18 PM)
well, he is a pro-bowler and supposedly in the top 5 for his position in the league. you know what you're getting with Briggs. that #6 could be a bust.

but if Angelo makes the deal i won't complain.

yeah, he's a guy that won't play all year for the Bears

Briggs finally wisened up here. By saying he will sit out 10 games then come back, he guarantees this year counts as a year of service, would make about 2.4 million in game checks (400 grand a game), would hurt the Bears, and minimizes injury risk. A threat like that, which he could realistically follow through on, is something that could make the Bears take that deal from Washington.

I personally hope he's gone. Briggs might have been my favorite player the last 2 years, but realistically he can't play on this team again with all that's happened without hurting it to the point where another trip to the last game of the season isn't possible.

If briggs sits, then comes back for the last 6 games, I would have him playing on every special teams play in every remaining game. If he dogs it, that kills any rep he may have left. Then for kicks, tell him you want him to try punt returning.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You would not draft Levi Brown with the 6th pick? He would be a hell of an upgrade over Fred Miller. He would make a huge immediate impact.

That said, and I don't know if someone mentioned this already, the Redskins are doing 2 things by making this trade. They are guaranteeing they get a all-pro player with their 1st round selection and getting another first rounder at the same time (31st overall). They are also giving up on this year's draft because after the 31st selection they will not pick again until the 5th round.

if I were a caricature artist, i would draw a picture of the back of lance briggs head as a microphone with drew rosenhaus speaking into it. Im sick of the quotes, the reasoning, the bullying, and im angry that in the end, Briggs is gonna get his way because of how Rosenhaus works.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 11:55 PM)
but, completely unrelated to that, let me ask - is a bust better than nothing?

Actually, a bust is worse than nothing. You have to pay the 6th pick overall a large signing bonus, so if he turns out to be a bust you lose out (but thats the chance you have to take). Unless, or course, by "bust" you meant a bronze Mozart sculpture that you put on your grand piano. In that case the bust is definately better than nothing.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 02:30 PM)
Actually, a bust is worse than nothing. You have to pay the 6th pick overall a large signing bonus, so if he turns out to be a bust you lose out (but thats the chance you have to take). Unless, or course, by "bust" you meant a bronze Mozart sculpture that you put on your grand piano. In that case the bust is definately better than nothing.

I was thinking of a different kind of bust. I would post examples, but it keeps saying I am over my limit? I thought you could never have too much bust!

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 02:46 PM)
I was thinking of a different kind of bust. I would post examples, but it keeps saying I am over my limit? I thought you could never have too much bust!

you are correct alpha dog, that is another type of useful bust. but i believe you can have too much of that type of bust. it's more of the quality rather than quantity in my opinion.

Good idea by Angelo I think. Get more picks if he can;

ESPN's John Clayton reports the Bears might take the Redskins' offer of the No. 6 overall choice in exchange for Lance Briggs and the No. 31 pick next week and look to trade down before the draft.

Chicago would be stuck at No. 6 hoping for an unlikely draft-day tumble by Calvin Johnson. The pick also may be too high for Pat Willis. Clayton's idea makes sense because it's such a great deal for the Bears even though they may not especially like what's supposed to be there at No. 6.

I heard Lovie wanted one of the really good young DT's in this draft to pair with Tommie Harris somewhere as well.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 12:25 AM)
Good idea by Angelo I think. Get more picks if he can;

I heard Lovie wanted one of the really good young DT's in this draft to pair with Tommie Harris somewhere as well.

I dont think if we lost Briggs we could afford to go after a DT in the top 10. Thats a lot of money t tie up at DT especially when there are so many other positions that need to be addressed more urgently. I would be pissed if we drafted a DT.