Sox Lockup Vazquez to Contract Ext.

Hideaway Lights

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 01:12 PM)
I'm going to completely disagree with you on this. I think it's the complete wrong time to extend his contract. He has done nothing so far for us and yes I know his secondary numbers were solid last year and we all know what kind of stuff he has, but until he can equate that to actual performance(not letting runners score) then he's doing nothing for us. We're giving him an extension entirely based on potential instead of actual performance. I don't like this.

I think this is the ideal time to extend his contract...IF...and I mean this is a big IF...we can do it at favorable numbers (Favorable = below $30 million for 3 years).

If Vazquez comes out and is mediocre again this season, but he's extended for $10 million a year or less, then he still would seem to have significant value on the trade market. In fact, I'd say by extending him at $10 or less, we might actually push his value upwards. That deal would be moveable as long as he doesn't get hurt.

If it's significantly over $30 mil a year, then his contract moves into Gil Meche territory, at which point it's not at all justified based on what he did last year, and it would probably hurt his trade value unless he significantly improved his performance.

I don't want to see us pay for what he might do. The benefit of extending him now is that we could pay him less based on his low performance the last few years, and maybe it turns into a bargain, and if we he doesn't improve, people will still give up talent for innings-eating righties with reasonable contracts.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:13 PM)
So like 44 million over 4 years? Thats 5th starter money these days.

To me it's not about the money. Contracts are insane right now so to be honest the money probably wont be horrible considering the market. I just don't want Vazquez here for 3 extra years until he starts to prove he can actually turn his stuff into results. As much as people would like to believe he turned the corner at the end of last year, I still want to see it in results this year. The guy is still a mental midget imo and I still don't think you can count on him to be a consistant starter, not yet anyways. Hopefully I'm wrong.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:18 PM)
To me it's not about the money. Contracts are insane right now so to be honest the money probably wont be horrible considering the market. I just don't want Vazquez here for 3 extra years until he starts to prove he can actually turn his stuff into results. As much as people would like to believe he turned the corner at the end of last year, I still want to see it in results this year. The guy is still a mental midget imo and I still don't think you can count on him to be a consistant starter, not yet anyways. Hopefully I'm wrong.

A pitcher like him at 3 years 34 million is worth more than the alternative which is 15 million or so for an arm, or watching young guys struggle at the MLB level. Low risk contract, and really good considering the market value.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)
Of course if you wait until the end of the season to give him an extension and he does kick ass this year it's going to cost you insane money to keep him around. This way you sign him to a potential bargain price in hopes that a second year with the team will do him some good.

I'm pretty confident he's not kicking anyone's ass this year. When has he ever kicked ass in the past 5 or 6 seasons? He is garbage. I don't like this move at all, unless it makes it easier to trade him. Let's hope so.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 01:17 PM)
3 years 34 million reported.

A GREAT deal by KW.

Considering what the market is these days, that Freddy is in Philly now, that Buehrle is as good as gone next season, and that Contreras is entering the twilight of his career, I agree.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 01:19 PM)
If Vazquez tanks, this will look like one of the stupidest deals in Sox history. I don't understand why people are convinced this guy is moveable if he fails again.

Vazquez could put up a 5.00 ERA this year and I think this deal would still be moveable. You wouldn't get top of the line talent for it, but as long as he eats innings, that deal is still moveable.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 01:20 PM)
I'm pretty confident he's not kicking anyone's ass this year. When has he ever kicked ass in the past 5 or 6 seasons? He is garbage. I don't like this move at all, unless it makes it easier to trade him. Let's hope so.

2003. That's well within the past 6 years.

his salary over the past 3 years:

2004 New York Yankees $9,000,000

2005 Arizona Diamondbacks $11,000,000

2006 Chicago White Sox $12,000,000

We extended him for almost no serious increase. Considering what the price tag is for talent these days, I likey.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:22 PM)
Yep it may sound like a-lot but at 29 he just took a 20% pay cut, I think. Good for Javy.

He would have gotten more in arbitration after this season.

If he goes 9-13 with a 5.50 ERA he gets more than 11 mil in arbitration? Or is this based on your perception of Vazquez succeeding?

Again, everyone, this is a high risk move in some ways. Like it or not, there is a chance this guy could psychologically fall off the cliff he seems to teeter on and put up ridiculously bad numbers.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 01:25 PM)
If he goes 9-13 with a 5.50 ERA he gets more than 11 mil in arbitration? Or is this based on your perception of Vazquez succeeding?

Again, everyone, this is a high risk move in some ways. Like it or not, there is a chance this guy could psychologically fall off the cliff he seems to teeter on and put up ridiculously bad numbers.

No matter what he does this year, if the White Sox were to have offered him arbitration...Javier Vazquez's salary would not have decreased in 2008. The only way that Vazquez's salary could have gone down, other than this deal, would have been for the White Sox to not offer him arbitration, at which point the Sox could lose him as a FA with no compensation.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:25 PM)

He made $12.5M this year, he's not going to take a pay cut through arbitration.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:28 PM)
No matter what he does this year, if the White Sox were to have offered him arbitration...Javier Vazquez's salary would not have decreased in 2008. The only way that Vazquez's salary could have gone down, other than this deal, would have been for the White Sox to not offer him arbitration, at which point the Sox could lose him as a FA with no compensation.

Exactly, at the least he would have made $12.5M next year likely more.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:25 PM)

Every contract is a risk. He will eat up 200 innings and have 200k's at a reduced price during a short 3 year contract. The risk is lower than you may think. But then again, not many people know what you are thinking.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:28 PM)

losing his as a FA with no compensation? Sounds good to me.

I thought we were stockpiling young arms for a reason

I guess this is another nail in Buehrle's coffin

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:20 PM)
Vazquez could put up a 5.00 ERA this year and I think this deal would still be moveable. You wouldn't get top of the line talent for it, but as long as he eats innings, that deal is still moveable.

He's always healthy, has great stuff and eats innings. A guy like that will always be movable.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:30 PM)
losing his as a FA with no compensation? Sounds good to me.

I thought we were stockpiling young arms for a reason

I guess this is another nail in Buehrle's coffin

Yes, and they would all be ready NEXT YEAR!!! Wooooo fantasy baseball.

He took less money to stay with the Sox for a shorter contract than the market dictates. Crap, Jason Freaking marquis signed a 3 year deal, and that was a shot in the dark.