Sox Lockup Vazquez to Contract Ext.

Hideaway Lights

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 01:24 PM)
he basically took the deal Buehrle turned down, right?

savvy move by the Sox.

Get Javy below market value (even though the market is obscene), and they make Buehrle look a bit greedy.

that's how it looks from here.

I don't think that they're concerned about how it makes Buehrle look. Mark's going to command Zito-like money/years on the FA market this winter and JR isn't going to pay.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 09:30 PM)
losing his as a FA with no compensation? Sounds good to me.

I thought we were stockpiling young arms for a reason

I guess this is another nail in Buehrle's coffin

I'd rather have Javy at 3/33 than Buehrle at 3/45.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 01:33 PM)
I'd rather have Javy at 3/33 than Buehrle at 3/45.

Honestly, I think I'd go the other way; if Mark would have taken 3/45, I'd rather spend that on him than on Javy. I doubt Mark will take less than 5-6 years though.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 02:49 PM)
Without even knowing the terms of the deal?

I love it if it's three more years for a few bags of peanuts

When you're able to predict player contracts like I can, it's ok to make comments like that before all the details come out.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)
Honestly, I think I'd go the other way; if Mark would have taken 3/45, I'd rather spend that on him than on Javy. I doubt Mark will take less than 5-6 years though.

When it's all said and done, Buehrle may be the one of the best left handed pitchers of his era.

Vazquez is and will always be a coulda-shoulda guy

If you can't look at his career and see that, I don't know what to tell you.

Chuck (Chi): The White Sox and Javier Vazquez have agreed to a three-year, $34.5 million contract, according to Comcast Sportsnet. Good move?

SportsNation Rob Neyer: (4:22 PM ET ) Really? Another feather in Kenny Williams' cap, if you ask me. Vazquez's wins and losses don't show it, but over the last two seasons he's been just as good as Freddy Garcia. But because of those wins and losses, he comes a few ticks cheaper. Good news for Sox fans.

Haw, haw! You tell em Rob Neyer!

Thank god wins and losses aren't that relevant to the game of baseball. Honestly, what are people thinking?

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:38 PM)
So, you think that Mark will be a HOFer? I don't.

Yes I do. He will win 225-250 easy, especially if he moves to the NL for the next 10 years, takes a hometown discount, settles in comfortably and is dominating the worst division in the weaker league of baseball.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:36 PM)
When it's all said and done, Buehrle may be the one of the best left handed pitchers of his era.

Vazquez is and will always be a coulda-shoulda guy

If you can't look at his career and see that, I don't know what to tell you.

best meaning? Top 5? What?

I can tell you what to tell me. What is the problem with signing a pitcher, less than market price, less years than the market dictates, basically less money than he would get in arbitration, with a high talent level.

You wont find someone who knows the baseball market and player talent levels that thinks this is a bad deal. When it comes down to it, you should pay attention to one thing: They know more than you.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:39 PM)

Thank god wins and losses aren't that relevant to the game of baseball. Honestly, what are people thinking?

He's right. When you can pitch as well as Javy did in his final 8 outings last season and not have a single win to show for it something it very wrong. A pitcher's W/L record has become a nearly irrelevant stat, as most people who work with stats and follow the game closely will agree.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:41 PM)

Yes I do. He will win 225-250 easy, especially if he moves to the NL for the next 10 years, takes a hometown discount, settles in comfortably and is dominating the worst division in the weaker league of baseball.

If he could control it, Johan Santana would have been a 25 game winner every year for the past 3, and he probably would be a 25 game winner every year for the next 5. You are of course aware of the fact that pitchers do not control how many games they win, but rather the entire team is. All the pitcher can do is pitch as best as he can.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:41 PM)
best meaning? Top 5? What?

I can tell you what to tell me. What is the problem with signing a pitcher, less than market price, less years than the market dictates, basically less money than he would get in arbitration, with a high talent level.

You wont find someone who knows the baseball market and player talent levels that thinks this is a bad deal. When it comes down to it, you should pay attention to one thing: They know more than you.

Because I would rather go with younger pitchers who EVERYONE is tauting in this McCarthy deal, who will put up .500 numbers at a circa-5.00 era for about 8 million per annum less. How hard is this to understand?

Vazquez has great stuff. He's also a loser.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:42 PM)
If he could control it, Johan Santana would have been a 25 game winner every year for the past 3, and he probably would be a 25 game winner every year for the next 5. You are of course aware of the fact that pitchers do not control how many games they win, but rather the entire team is. All the pitcher can do is pitch as best as he can.

frankly he'd prolly be 25 game winner with the sox. you're right it's all about what team you're pitching for.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:41 PM)

Thank god wins and losses aren't that relevant to the game of baseball.

They are probably one of the least important statistics for a pitcher. Not sure what YOU are thinking.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:42 PM)
He's right. When you can pitch as well as Javy did in his final 8 outings last season and not have a single win to show for it something it very wrong. A pitcher's W/L record has become a nearly irrelevant stat, as most people who work with stats and follow the game closely will agree.

And yet he was getting 15 runs of support in those wins AND losses early in the season. Funny how those things tend to even out, now isn't it?

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:43 PM)
Because I would rather go with younger pitchers who EVERYONE is tauting in this McCarthy deal, who will put up .500 numbers at a circa-5.00 era for about 8 million per annum less. How hard is this to understand?

Wait, since when is Danks a guarantee to go .500 with a 5 ERA? Buehrle couldn't even manage that last season.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:43 PM)

So you want to put in a guy who isnt ready for the majors, a bullpen guy, and who else?

This isnt xbox, you need good pitchers to anchor your rotation, especially as you inject younger guys into the lineup.

And once again, every time you mention wins and losses for a pitcher's worth, you lose credibility.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:44 PM)
And yet he was getting 15 runs of support in those wins AND losses early in the season. Funny how those things tend to even out, now isn't it?

im not getting you - how can you be against a deal this cheap in a market where Gil Meche got 55 million for 5 years??? Javy is lightyears better than Meche and actually has potential to still put things together. He had the best peripherals on the sox last year meaning he has a greater chance of doing just that - putting together a really good year.