Sox Lockup Vazquez to Contract Ext.

Hideaway Lights

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 01:41 PM)
Yes I do. He will win 225-250 easy

LOL, he hasn't even won 100 yet. And it's going to take more than 225 wins to guarantee a spot in Cooperstown.

especially if he moves to the NL for the next 10 years, takes a hometown discount, settles in comfortably and is dominating the worst division in the weaker league of baseball.

So, you're saying that he signs with the Cubs this winter?

I don't put Mark Buehrle on the same level as Santana, Randy Johnson, or Tom Glavine. Those are HOFers. Buehrle is on the really-good-but-not-great tier, along with David Wells, David Cone, and John Smoltz.

Edited by WCSox

I don't know if this has been posted but...

From ChiSox.com

Its Official

TUCSON, Ariz. -- The White Sox and right-hander Javier Vazquez have agreed to a three-year, $34.5 million contract extension, announced Tuesday after the right-hander worked three innings against the Rockies at Tucson Electric Park. TUCSON, Ariz. -- The White Sox and right-hander Javier Vazquez have agreed to a three-year, $34.5 million contract extension, announced Tuesday after the right-hander worked three innings against the Rockies at Tucson Electric Park.

Vazquez, 30, has a career record of 100-105 with a 4.34 ERA and 1,602 strikeouts in 290 games over nine Major League seasons. He will receive $12.5 million in 2007, as called for in the final year of his four-year contract he signed with the Yankees in 2004, and will be paid $11.5 million each year from 2008-10.

"Javier and his representatives made a proposal that we felt was fair and made sense for us over the next several seasons," said White Sox general manager Ken Williams. "Javier has expressed a desire to remain in Chicago, and based on what he has accomplished in his career and the familiarity and stability he found with the White Sox and the city of Chicago, it's a win-win situation for both sides."

Vazquez posted an 11-12 record with a 4.84 ERA in his first season with the White Sox. The right-hander would have been eligible for arbitration after the 2007 season.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:05 PM)
ugh, I dont know if I would compare Meche and Javy.

their k rates were pretty comparable last season. Meche wins at a higher pct. for his career. Their ERA's if you adjust for AL are pretty close, Meche's would probably be better.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:46 PM)
im not getting you - how can you be against a deal this cheap in a market where Gil Meche got 55 million for 5 years??? Javy is lightyears better than Meche and actually has potential to still put things together. He had the best peripherals on the sox last year meaning he has a greater chance of doing just that - putting together a really good year.

but, but , but. His record, his record!!!!! Lets just have a rotation full of rookies!!!!

QUOTE(Reddy @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:46 PM)
im not getting you - how can you be against a deal this cheap in a market where Gil Meche got 55 million for 5 years??? Javy is lightyears better than Meche and actually has potential to still put things together. He had the best peripherals on the sox last year meaning he has a greater chance of doing just that - putting together a really good year.

Again, what is our plan for 2008? Is our plan to build our team around Garland (which I agree with), and Vazquez (which I don't agree with)? Is Vazquez good enough to be a number 2/3, with a bunch of kids in the rotation? Surely he's not. He hasn't had a good season in four years. And before we trot out all the different league-team-circumstances he's pitched in, there are good pitchers who are able to move leagues and teams and figure it out.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:48 PM)
LOL, he hasn't even won 100 yet. And it's going to take more than 225 wins to guarantee a spot in Cooperstown.

I don't put Mark Buehrle on the same level as Santana, Randy Johnson, or Tom Glavine. Those are HOFers. Buehrle is on the really-good-but-not-great tier, along with David Wells, David Cone, and John Smoltz.

John Smoltz is a hall of famer, easy. He's basically Curt Schilling except with a bunch of saves under his belt.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:49 PM)
their k rates were pretty comparable last season. Meche wins at a higher pct. for his career. Their ERA's if you adjust for AL are pretty close, Meche's would probably be better.

So, basically you have k rates being close one year, and meche hasnt yet had a good year. Couple that with meaningless records and we still got the better deal. Javy at 3 years >>>>>>>>Meche at 5

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:49 PM)
Again, what is our plan for 2008? Is our plan to build our team around Garland (which I agree with), and Vazquez (which I don't agree with)? Is Vazquez good enough to be a number 2/3, with a bunch of kids in the rotation? Surely he's not. He hasn't had a good season in four years. And before we trot out all the different league-team-circumstances he's pitched in, there are good pitchers who are able to move leagues and teams and figure it out.

ok, so what fantasy pitcher will we sign for that spot in the rotation and for how much money?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 01:50 PM)
John Smoltz is a hall of famer, easy.

I wouldn't say that. He's a legitimate candidate, but he's no lock to get in. Especially when two of his former Braves teammates have overshadowed him.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:47 PM)
I don't have time to do this right now, but I'm willing to bet there are at least a handful of losses where the offense put up 6+ runs of support and Javy went out and blew it for the team in the early months of the season.

There were only 2 or 3 times that Vazquez pitched last season where he didn't have the lead at some point. It really makes his record even worse.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:48 PM)

225-250 is about as many wins as any pitcher from the post 2000 era can hope to accumulate in a career IMO. Besides, Buehrle has one of the best career ERAs in the AL going right now, could you imagine how dominating he'd be with the Cardinals? (the hometown discount - he's from Missouri)

He's not even at 100 yet? He's only pitched 6 full years LOL. He's not even 28 yet, is he? He has probably at least 9 good years ahead of him.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:51 PM)
ok, so what fantasy pitcher will we sign for that spot in the rotation and for how much money?

Unlike many in this forum, I am onboard with going completely young if it makes sense for a season. I'm saying I would have let Vazquez go and developed if it made sense.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:49 PM)

well theoretically we have contreras around still so lets see:

Garland

Contreras

Vazquez

Floyd

Danks

hmm... yeah ok i could deal with that i think. so the problem lies where?

SportsNation Rob Neyer: (4:22 PM ET ) Really? Another feather in Kenny Williams' cap, if you ask me. Vazquez's wins and losses don't show it, but over the last two seasons he's been just as good as Freddy Garcia. But because of those wins and losses, he comes a few ticks cheaper. Good news for Sox fans.

Seems like ERA shows otherwise...

Vazquez's ERAs over the past three years:

2006: 4.84

2005: 4.42

2004: 4.91

Garcia's ERAs over the past three years:

2006: 4.53

2005: 3.87

2004: 3.81

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:54 PM)
225-250 is about as many wins as any pitcher from the post 2000 era can hope to accumulate in a career IMO.

you dont think santana could do it? really?

EDIT: nevermind why do i NEVER do my research before i say things. lol

EDIT AGAIN: yeah he f***in could do it... back to my original statement

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE(Reddy @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:54 PM)
well theoretically we have contreras around still so lets see:

Garland

Contreras

Vazquez

Floyd

Danks

hmm... yeah ok i could deal with that i think. so the problem lies where?

Floyd has a hard time maintaining a 6.00 era in AAA and you'll saying he'll be our fourth starter in 08? Now that's a half-full glass...

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:54 PM)
Unlike many in this forum, I am onboard with going completely young if it makes sense for a season. I'm saying I would have let Vazquez go and developed if it made sense.

So you would have lost Vaz for nothing. And then lost around 90-100 games? Then your career as GM would be pretty much dead. Congrats.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 01:52 PM)
225-250 is about as many wins as any pitcher from the post 2000 era can hope to accumulate in a career IMO. Besides, Buehrle has one of the best career ERAs in the AL going right now, could you imagine how dominating he'd be with the Cardinals? (the hometown discount - he's from Missouri)

He's not even at 100 yet? He's only pitched 6 full years LOL. He's not even 28 yet, is he? He has probably at least 9 good years ahead of him.

I didn't realize that Missouri was considered a "town."

Buehrle has thrown something like six straight years of 200+ innings and it began to show last season. His style of pitching will help extend his career somewhat, but it certainly doesn't make him a lock for "at least 9 [more] good years". He doesn't have great stuff as is and if he loses even a few mph off of his fastball when he hits 30, he could go downhill very quickly.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:51 PM)
So, basically you have k rates being close one year, and meche hasnt yet had a good year. Couple that with meaningless records and we still got the better deal. Javy at 3 years >>>>>>>>Meche at 5

Meche's contract was ridiculous. KW would even say that. Vazquez is a 3 year extension so the Sox are stuck with him for 4. Meche usually wins a couple more games than he loses. Meche may not have the "stuff" Vazquez has, but he has at least similar results, and if he's overpaid, so is Vazquez.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:55 PM)
Floyd has a hard time maintaining a 6.00 era in AAA and you'll saying he'll be our fourth starter in 08? Now that's a half-full glass...

Well then who else do you have in there with your "young rotation"

should've used that money for Mark. I know that he had already turned down an offer last year.

Hopefully, there's incentives in there for Javy getting to the 7th inning.

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:55 PM)
Meche's contract was ridiculous. KW would even say that. Vazquez is a 3 year extension so the Sox are stuck with him for 4. Meche usually wins a couple more games than he loses. Meche may not have the "stuff" Vazquez has, but he has at least similar results, and if he's overpaid, so is Vazquez.

All of the contracts are ridiculous, which is why is was good to sign Javy for less than market price, even less than he would have gotten in arb, you following?