Sox Lockup Vazquez to Contract Ext.

Hideaway Lights

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:54 PM)
SportsNation Rob Neyer: (4:22 PM ET ) Really? Another feather in Kenny Williams' cap, if you ask me. Vazquez's wins and losses don't show it, but over the last two seasons he's been just as good as Freddy Garcia. But because of those wins and losses, he comes a few ticks cheaper. Good news for Sox fans.

Seems like ERA shows otherwise...

Vazquez's ERAs over the past three years:

2006: 4.84

2005: 4.42

2004: 4.91

Garcia's ERAs over the past three years:

2006: 4.53

2005: 3.87

2004: 3.81

Ding ding. It's not about his wins and losses it's the fact that he has not been a good pitcher in the al, strikeout rates be damned. I really don't care how good his stuff is or how good his secondary numbers are, until he stops allowing runners to score then he's not doing this team any good.

Edited by Rowand44

I dont like Vazquez at all. He has the talent but has not lived up to it. I dont know what he did to get the extension and be a Sox for 3 more years. We always here KW and Ozzie say that they will keep players that performs and let underachievers go. Buerhle deserves to be with the sox for 3 more years other than Vazquez because Mark has perform well for us.

But if this would help trading him in the near future having a deal done then I would agree. Otherwise, that's money not well spent after KW b****ing about the market.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 02:25 PM)
I dont get it. Vazquez is being paid more than Garland now, when Garland is >>> than Vazquez.

Because Vazquez is significantly farther past arbitration than Jon Garland, and Vazquez's extension was signed a year after Garlands after large inflations of salaries.

QUOTE(bulokis @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 04:32 PM)
I dont like Vazquez at all. He has the talent but has not lived up to it. I dont know what he did to get the extension and be a Sox for 3 more years. We always here KW and Ozzie say that they will keep players that performs and let underachievers go. Buerhle deserves to be with the sox for 3 more years other than Vazquez because Mark has perform well for us.

But if this would help trading him in the near future having a deal done then I would agree. Otherwise, that's money not well spent after KW b****ing about the market.

Well if you want to get all technical and s*** Vazquez was better than Buehrle last season and got less than half of what Buehrle is going to get in his next deal.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 04:37 PM)
Well if you want to get all technical and s*** Vazquez was better than Buehrle last season and got less than half of what Buehrle is going to get in his next deal.

hes going to get around 3-5 million less per year than Freddy and probably 2 less years.

Maybe javy didnt put together a full year last year of great ball. But once he made significant changes to his delivery, he put together 2 of his best months. He is a good pitcher, signed below market value. I dont understand how anyone could have a problem with this at all.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)
hes going to get around 3-5 million less per year than Freddy and probably 2 less years.

Maybe javy didnt put together a full year last year of great ball. But once he made significant changes to his delivery, he put together 2 of his best months. He is a good pitcher, signed below market value. I dont understand how anyone could have a problem with this at all.

Probably because most of us aren't convinced that he's a good pitcher.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)

And there you go. You know why Vaz was signed, because he agreed to a 3 year deal at below market value. Exactly what ANY GM would do. Except Hendry, of course. And don't forget, this isn't much of a raise from the White Sox point of view...Arizona thru NY paid $3 mil of his salary last year.

Personally, I still would want a veteran starter in my rotation around the likes of Gio, Danks, Haeger, Broadway, McCullough or whoever else is going to be in the rotation in the coming years.

Per Baseball Reference most comparable players to Buerhle and Javy historically/statistically speaking. Ironically Thome's highest correlated player is Jose Canseco. Hopefully neigher of them turn into Mark Mulder (which is a sad story for a good guy, hopefully he bounces back)

MOST COMPARABLE TO BUERHLE

Similar Pitchers View in Pop-up

Compare Stats

Teddy Higuera (955)

La Marr Hoyt (953)

Fred Hutchinson (950)

Mark Mulder (944)

Roy Halladay (944)

Chris Carpenter (940)

Rick Reed (938)

C.C. Sabathia (938)

Larry Christenson (934)

Jarrod Washburn (933)

Similar Pitchers through Age 27

Compare Stats

Mark Mulder (959)

Tom Glavine (958)

Storm Davis (953)

Alex Fernandez (941)

Jerry Reuss (937)

Ross Grimsley (936)

Bill Monbouquette (936)

Jim Kaat (934)

Dan Petry (934)

Dennis Martinez (932)

VAZQUEZ

Similar Pitchers View in Pop-up

Compare Stats

Andy Ashby (956)

Ismael Valdez (956)

Mark Gardner (939)

Jeff Suppan (929)

Chris Bosio (928)

Shane Reynolds (924)

Richard Dotson (924)

Erik Hanson (921)

Kirk McCaskill (920)

Lefty Stewart (920)

Similar Pitchers through Age 29

Compare Stats

Brad Radke (940)

Livan Hernandez (936)

Ismael Valdez (924)

Scott Erickson (920)

Bill Monbouquette (919)

Jeff Weaver (916)

Andy Benes (915)

Richard Dotson (912)

Jim Slaton (911)

Lary Sorensen (911)

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 02:45 PM)
Personally, I still would want a veteran starter in my rotation around the likes of Gio, Danks, Haeger, Broadway, McCullough or whoever else is going to be in the rotation in the coming years.

I think that was a huge part of it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 04:42 PM)
Thats fine. But who else could you lock up on the market for that money that would be a better option?

Ask me in a few years, but that's not the point. I'm not arguing the market value of this deal, with an out of whack market, as of right now this deal doesn't look awful. Will the market correct itself in a few years? Who knows, once again, to me this is all about locking up a pitcher who hasn't proven jack s*** in the american league. He has proven that he has good stuff, that's it. We're locking him based on the prospect that he's going to all the sudden turn it around at the age of 30. Whether its someone in our system or in free agency, their will be better options in a few years imo.

I absolutely love this deal. Even considering Vazquez's struggles, he would have earned a substantially higher amount of money/years based on last year's statistics alone. Have we not seen what teams offer for power capable arms? Now imagine a powerful arm capable of avoiding injury and providing innings....

Honestly, how can anyone oppose this contract extension? I'll just have to assume -- without physically viewing the previous messages -- that EVERYONE realizes this is a good signing.

Yes, there exists risk. Most extended contracts for pitchers do. However, even with a collection of possible SP prospects, we need stability within the rotation. More importantly, someone capable of sustaining the "ace" moniker.

I'm not foolish enough to believe he'll mysteriously revert to Montreal days for several seasons. However, considering how he hasn't been in one place for two consecutive seasons since 2004, I'm looking forward to this season.

Oh, and LOLLERZ at Rotoworld.

White Sox agreed to terms with RHP Javier Vazquez on a three-year, $34.5 million contract extension through 2010.

Vazquez's $12.5 million salary for 2007 remains unchanged. He'll make $11.5 million in each of the following three seasons. It's a lot of money for someone whom the White Sox seemed quite frustrated with for much of last season. He ended up going 11-12 with a 4.84 ERA in his first year with the club. Mar. 6 - 4:43 pm et

So? No mention of how it's a fair deal in comparison to other pitchers?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 04:47 PM)
Ask me in a few years, but that's not the point. I'm not arguing the market value of this deal, with an out of whack market, as of right now this deal doesn't look awful. Will the market correct itself in a few years? Who knows, once again, to me this is all about locking up a pitcher who hasn't proven jack s*** in the american league. He has proven that he has good stuff, that's it. We're locking him based on the prospect that he's going to all the sudden turn it around at the age of 30. Whether its someone in our system or in free agency, their will be better options in a few years imo.

And that he took 3 years...and that he took a hometown discount...and that he has a history of some success...and that when he was with a team more than one whole year in a row, he was pretty good....

Buehrle had the opportunity to do the same thing and wants to check his value on an open market. Fine. go do that. Vazquez would rather pitch for the White Sox.

for how inflated the market is this could be a great signing. we all know that javy is at least a average pitcher and average pitchers were making this much. the difference b/t someone like lilly and vazquez is that javy has a much higher ceiling and better stuff IMO.

Love Javy and love this deal.

I think that being with the same team, same coaches, and knowing that this is where he is going to play for the next few years will drastically improve his stats. I expect a Count like turnaround now that he finally has found a "Home" after the Expos.

QUOTE(soxfan3530 @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 04:52 PM)
for how inflated the market is this could be a great signing. we all know that javy is at least a average pitcher and average pitchers were making this much. the difference b/t someone like lilly and vazquez is that javy has a much higher ceiling and better stuff IMO.

I look at it this way -- if he performs at his 2006 level, he's atleast worth 10-12 million per/yr according to this market. If he exceeds this, it's an absolute bargan.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:43 PM)
Because I would rather go with younger pitchers who EVERYONE is tauting in this McCarthy deal, who will put up .500 numbers at a circa-5.00 era for about 8 million per annum less. How hard is this to understand?

Vazquez has great stuff. He's also a loser.

The contract is fair for the market, and it's probably moveable. But for me, it's just chasing bad money. I didn't like trading Young for Vazquez, I didn't like putting McCarthy in the bullpen because of Vazquez, and I don't like being on a longer hook for Vazquez. Maybe he'll do better. Maybe he won't. But Williams's love affair with this guy has effectively cost us the top two prospects in our system (Young and McCarthy). He better do more than pitch 200 innings with a 4.7 ERA. Because he's cost more than the money he's being paid.