Draft Plans/Needs?

BearSox

I know it isn't like the NFL or NBA draft where we know of most of the prospects and they go straight to the pros most likely, and there are 50 rounds in the MLB Draft, but it is still fun to talk about. So, what are some of the needs the Sox need in the draft?

Well, you can never have too much pitching. C and middle infield are also thin and should be addressed early. I really think our first round pick should be someone with speed and the potential to be a future leadoff hitter. The White Sox haven't had a franchise leadoff hitter since Ray Durham, and he wasn't that good. Whether it be someone in the OF, SS, 2B, someone would be needed.

Any thoughts?

Wow, you have no idea how happy you made me just now to see a thread entitled "Draft Plans/Needs." I absolutely love the MLB Draft. I guess it's probably b/c I'm such a "minor league" guy, and the draft is what restocks the system.

As for this years draft, look for a change in philosophy regarding drafting pitchers. I think you'll see us take guys that have great stuff, but need some work. The past few years we've taken some solid pitchers like Broadway and McCulloch, but passed on the guys with the great arms.

The positions mentioned above (C, middle IF) are extremely thin, but you won't see us draft for need. You draft best available player. Now, if the best available player at our spot is a Catcher or SS or 2B, then that would be fantastic. But, don't be surprised to see us take an OF or 3B, which while they aren't needs for the big league club, there are so many spots in the minors that you can find a great player playing time. Hell, whoever we draft will probably be used in a trade at some point anyway, lol...

As for specific players, I have no idea about anyone that will be in this year's draft since it's only the start of baseball season. However, as June approaches, you'll be seeing plenty of stuff on BA.com and MLB.com

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 09:17 PM)
Wow, you have no idea how happy you made me just now to see a thread entitled "Draft Plans/Needs." I absolutely love the MLB Draft. I guess it's probably b/c I'm such a "minor league" guy, and the draft is what restocks the system.

As for this years draft, look for a change in philosophy regarding drafting pitchers. I think you'll see us take guys that have great stuff, but need some work. The past few years we've taken some solid pitchers like Broadway and McCulloch, but passed on the guys with the great arms.

The positions mentioned above (C, middle IF) are extremely thin, but you won't see us draft for need. You draft best available player. Now, if the best available player at our spot is a Catcher or SS or 2B, then that would be fantastic. But, don't be surprised to see us take an OF or 3B, which while they aren't needs for the big league club, there are so many spots in the minors that you can find a great player playing time. Hell, whoever we draft will probably be used in a trade at some point anyway, lol...

As for specific players, I have no idea about anyone that will be in this year's draft since it's only the start of baseball season. However, as June approaches, you'll be seeing plenty of stuff on BA.com and MLB.com

I agree. I think the Sox got burned with guys like Jason Stumm. High schoolers with great arms but who wear out in pro ball. This made them gun shy. It will be interesting to see. They have upper level pitching depth with the newly acquired arms so I wouldn't be surprised to see them take some chances with High risk/high reward players.

You draft based on talent early on but eventually it gets to the point where you start drafting on an organizational need basis and in those instances its just something you got to do.

However, it should be noted if you ever think a guy has high upside (whether early or late in the draft) you never pass him up for someone else because they have need. The thing is later on in the draft you usually have guys you are leaning to and they fill multiple needs and you go with it.

Recently, I've been browsing through various sites projecting draft selections and had to laugh once I came upon a familiar name -- Josh Fields. The third one. According to Scout.com, he's listed as their 22nd overall selection.

I don't believe there's any doubt where I stand. Focus in the first several rounds should be directed towards pitching. This upcoming draft is heavy with left handed starters, and it's certainly possible to select a projectable starter; even at #25.

What'd I like to see, in addition to an obvious preference for power arms, is the willingness of our ballclub to sign pitchers who drop due to signability issues. Boston seems to have mastered this concept within recent years. And much to our advantage, clubs you'd typically figure as willing to spend whatever is necessary -- Anaheim, New York (both), Boston -- are either without first round picks or select below us. We absolutely have to take advantage of this. I don't care if whomever is a Boras client either. Enough of that petty crap.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 10:14 PM)
Recently, I've been browsing through various sites projecting draft selections and had to laugh once I came upon a familiar name -- Josh Fields. The third one. According to Scout.com, he's listed as their 22nd overall selection.

I don't believe there's any doubt where I stand. Focus in the first several rounds should focus on pitching. This upcoming draft is heavy with left handed starters, and it's certainly possible to select a projectable starter; even at #25.

What'd I like to see, in addition to an obvious preference for power arms, is the willingness of our ballclub to sign pitchers who drop due to signability issues. Boston seems to have mastered this concept within recent years. And much to our advantage, clubs you'd typically figure as willing to spend whatever is necessary -- Anaheim, New York (both), Boston select behind us. We absolutely have to take advantage of this. I don't care if whomever is a Boras client either. Enough of that petty crap.

We have to get him... 3 Josh Fields would be awesome! :lol: Imagine if they all made it to the bigs with the White Sox at some point..

ss2k5 :cheers

As much as I like drafting the best player available, I would rather see us FINALLY focus on getting a middle infielder in the 1st. Tadahito and Uribe aren't exactly on the rise in their careers at this point and we don't have a replacement outside of plugging Cintron in and hoping. Outside of Shelby, I don't really see any viable options in our minors either(suprise suprise), and Shelby has a long ways to go from rookie ball.

I personally am a big fan of Valido... could someone please explain to me the steroid issue with him? IIRC, he got busted for taking them a couple years back.

But if he is clean and that was just a stupid mistake made by him when he was younger, there shouldn't be a need for any questions concerning him.

I think he is our future at SS... he had a major set back last year because of that injury though. I think he will have a nice rebound this year, starting out at AA and moving up to AAA mid-way through the season.

I am more worried about 2B, Getz doesn't really get me excited and Pedro Lopez might be just a better bench player.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/...12steroids.html

I was really high on Valido when we drafted him, and thought for sure we had drafted our future SS. But the steroid case, and subsequent injury have turned me completely off of him. Would be great to see him come back with an assumed steroid free good year and retake his place as our best infield prospect. I guess I want to see him prove that he can play without help. He's still young enough to turn it around.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 8, 2007 -> 12:46 PM)

I was really high on Valido when we drafted him, and thought for sure we had drafted our future SS. But the steroid case, and subsequent injury have turned me completely off of him. Would be great to see him come back with an assumed steroid free good year and retake his place as our best infield prospect. I guess I want to see him prove that he can play without help. He's still young enough to turn it around.

I would not let the steriods issue cloud your view of him. It is very common to get positive tests from over the counter supplements. This is why you get second chances. The kids in the minors take something that their buddy said helped them to get an advantage with weight lifting or something. Even though you warn them not to take anything that isn't on the MLB cleared list, they do it anyway.

If his performance does't improve, that's a different story. Give him another chance.

Testing positive for Ephedra didn't really bother me so much about Valido, but the fact he tested positive for a steroid precursor is a little harder to take. The House voted to bar over the counter sales of steroid precursor's in early June of 2004. Heck, the government and minor league baseball banned Ephedra back in 2003. I find it hard to believe Valido found an over the counter supplement still available with Ephedra and steroid precursor's in 2005 and didn't bother to read the label for it's contents.

Maybe it was a giant case if ignorance, but either way, he's still in the Sox organization and made a mistake, I'm still rooting for him.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 8, 2007 -> 10:46 AM)

I think he's way under-rated right now and I'm kind of looking for him to have a big time season where he re-establishes himselves as a pretty darn good all around SS prospect (never will he hit for power but I think the hope is that his speed, defense, and baseball smarts will allow him to get away with a lack of power; plus when I've watched him he seems to show a pretty good eye and I think he can develop into a .280 or so hitter and with that and a good eye you can have a long career when you play the D he can play).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 8, 2007 -> 07:54 PM)
I think he's way under-rated right now and I'm kind of looking for him to have a big time season where he re-establishes himselves as a pretty darn good all around SS prospect (never will he hit for power but I think the hope is that his speed, defense, and baseball smarts will allow him to get away with a lack of power; plus when I've watched him he seems to show a pretty good eye and I think he can develop into a .280 or so hitter and with that and a good eye you can have a long career when you play the D he can play).

Well, from the few games I have watched this spring training, Valido has looked like a stud on defense. He has showed great range, a strong arm, and just good all-around skills. And he has looked pretty good offensively. I remember last year Ozzie said he was one of the most impressive players from the whole spring.

I really am expecting a huge year out of him as that wrist injury had really hurt him last year. Wrist injuries can really ruin your bat speed and ruin your whole year. I feel BA's horrible first half last year was due in part by the wrist surgery he had in the offseason.

What do you guys think about Andy Gonzalez, Chris Getz, and Pedro Lopez?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 8, 2007 -> 08:36 PM)
I really want to see big years from Gomes, Valido, and Carter or im going to consider them as non-prospects.

I think Baseball America compared him to Alfonso Soriano... or was it rotoworld? Anyway, if he becomes half the player soriano is... :o

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 8, 2007 -> 09:12 PM)
I think Baseball America compared him to Alfonso Soriano... or was it rotoworld? Anyway, if he becomes half the player soriano is... :o

It was Phil Rogers and he didnt compare him to Soriano rather saying they have similar backgrounds and the fact that they were both raw coming to the states.

Obviously when it comes to your pick, especially early on, it's best player available.

On the safe / potential (risky) scale, I think you have to go both ways, but probably lean towards drafting players who may be riskier but have better potential over the long - term.

You want to draft players who can make a major impact for you at the major league level, not just players who aren't capable of being everyday producers.

Obviously the system has been rebuilt a bit but there are still some needs that need addressing;

1 - Middle Infield Depth. There's no impact middle infielder in the system. Getz COULD make it, and Valido maybe as well, while the others besides Lopez who could be a bench player, I don't think will contribute for us. And with 2 player in Iguchi and Uribe who may not be around in 2008, this spot needs addressing both at the major league level and in the farm system.

2 - Power Arms. We've taken Broadway and McCullough in the 1st round over the past 2 seasons, We know they're safe bets, and we know they'll probably make it into a major league rotation one day. But we don't need to be drafting an arm like that early on now. Take a risk, and draft some power arms early on. Sure you'll find a Nick Lemon here and there, but you could also hit on one of these guys, who could be a potential #2 starter for you one day.

3 - Catchers. We've drafted a couple over the years, but Lucy and Francisco Hernandez are still down in the lower levels and there's a question of whether they'll ever make it. And with Chris Stewart leaving the organization, it's still one that needs addressing. Look at the A's at a time when they had all of those catcher prospects in the minor leagues.

We're pretty well stocked on outfielders, but with Sweeney and Anderson possibly on the roster in 2008, it's a position that could need re-stocking again maybe as well.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 8, 2007 -> 10:30 PM)
2 - Power Arms. We've taken Broadway and McCullough in the 1st round over the past 2 seasons, We know they're safe bets, and we know they'll probably make it into a major league rotation one day. But we don't need to be drafting an arm like that early on now. Take a risk, and draft some power arms early on. Sure you'll find a Nick Lemon here and there, but you could also hit on one of these guys, who could be a potential #2 starter for you one day.

Oh, so now you've finally come around. Only took several years. :P

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 02:12 AM)
Oh, so now you've finally come around. Only took several years. :P

Oh Flash, what can I say.

I've always really felt that way, but I just haven't been on a crusade like you have. :P

But you need both kind of arms still, but I would prefer a little more power impact arms in the system.