AAP: Donny Lucy

CWSGuy406

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donny never got back on the field after his 8/14 injury, and is still listed as on the DL, so he apparently won't be in the playoffs with B-Ham. His season is over.

Final 2009 stats:

CHARLOTTE/AAA:

In 45 games, 153 AB...

.216/.259/.307/.566

38 K against 10 BB

BIRMINGHAM/AA:

In 17 games, 59 AB...

.220/.258/.237/.495

18 K against 2 BB

Future isn't looking good for D Lucy. He's 27 now, put up pretty bad numbers at both AA and AAA this season, spent more time on the DL, and barely played in 2008 due to the knee injury. His athleticism would allow him to possibly play other positions, but his bat wouldn't. Hopefully he gets healed up and gets a shot somewhere next year in AAA to show he's got something to bring to the major league table. But that seems like a long shot at present.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 10:23 AM)
Donny never got back on the field after his 8/14 injury, and is still listed as on the DL, so he apparently won't be in the playoffs with B-Ham. His season is over.

Final 2009 stats:

CHARLOTTE/AAA:

In 45 games, 153 AB...

.216/.259/.307/.566

38 K against 10 BB

BIRMINGHAM/AA:

In 17 games, 59 AB...

.220/.258/.237/.495

18 K against 2 BB

Future isn't looking good for D Lucy. He's 27 now, put up pretty bad numbers at both AA and AAA this season, spent more time on the DL, and barely played in 2008 due to the knee injury. His athleticism would allow him to possibly play other positions, but his bat wouldn't. Hopefully he gets healed up and gets a shot somewhere next year in AAA to show he's got something to bring to the major league table. But that seems like a long shot at present.

He was activated from the DL on September 3rd and played 3 games before the end of the season. He'll split time with Jared Price in the playoffs.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 07:24 PM)
He was activated from the DL on September 3rd and played 3 games before the end of the season. He'll split time with Jared Price in the playoffs.

Am I the only one who has the issue where I look at a player profile on milb.com, and its days or weeks behind? Even if you refresh? Really annoying, but this happens to me regularly.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Donny has been traveling with the team, because Castro is nursing a sore heel. Now, the Trib is saying that Castro may open the season on the DL, and Lucy may be on the Opening Day roster. If true, this is a nice chance for Donny, though he won't likely see much playing time. Ozzie Guillen was quoted saying good things about Lucy's handling of the pitching staff.

His spring training batting line, in 21 AB (13 G): .238/.385/.286/.670

• 1 month later...

Castro came off the DL, and Donny was sent back down to AAA. But it was a very successful stint in the majors for him, though short-lived, and may have breathed some life back into hopes for a major league career. His numbers with the big club:

7 G, 15 AB

.333 AVG

.444 OBP

.733 SLG

1.178 OPS

2 BB

1/1 SB

4 of his 5 hits were for extra bases (3 doubles, 1 home run)

To say this is a small sample size is an understatement. But its also an understatement to say he outperformed expectations. Lucy will now back up Flowers in Charlotte, and it may be that the team of Flowers-Lucy could be the Sox catching combo in 2010. Lucy's strong skills on defense, and handling pitchers, make him an excellent partner for Flowers.

• 4 weeks later...

Lucy has been back in Charlotte, backing up Flowers and DH'ing here and there to get AB's. His line so far in AAA this year is a less than stellar .217/.254/.350/.604 in 60 AB. Still seems like he has a shot at backing up Flowers (or AJ or whomever) with the big club in 2011, but he needs to improve with the bat.

• 9 months later...

Lucy spent Spring Training as a backup C with the big leaguers again, and then was sent back to Charlotte. Not sure if he's still got a shot to be a backup C in the majors in the future, that boat may have already sailed. He's got an excellent reputation for pitcher handling, and working with other C's, so I wouldn't be shocked if eventually he gets hired on as a coach.

• 1 month later...

April update for D Lucy... well, he's 28, and I think its generally agreed that he's no longer looked at as potential starter material in the majors. Its possible he could be a competent backup however. And he did see more playing time in April than you'd expect for the AAA backup C, with Flowers struggling ahead of him. His April line was .281/.324/.375/.699. No power to speak of (just one of his 9 hits was XBH), decent contact rate. His value if course is his defense, presence and ability to play the position in all facets.

With Flowers failing to hit, if one of the catchers in Chicago goes down, I'd have to think Lucy gets the call-up at this point.

• 1 month later...

June update...

D Lucy's hitting numbers have dropped off, he's now got a .209/.303/.269/.571 line for the season thus far. He has struck out in 10 of his last 32 AB, though he has gotten better at drawing walks. Only 2 of his 14 hits are XBH, and he is hitting .156 in his last 10 games.

With Flowers having a better season offensively than last year (though he's in a skid at the moment), Lucy's prospects to even be a backup with the Sox anytime soon are dwindling. Known as a plus defensive catcher with a lot of baseball smarts, I still think he ends up becoming some sort of roving coach for the Sox at some point, as I doubt he'd get much of a chance with any other organization, as he approaches 29 years old.

• 7 months later...