Computer question

G&T

My laptop is telling me that I only have a few hundred MB of memory on my C drive out of 51 GB. But when I open my C drive and count the amount of memory each folder uses it only comes to 22GB, which seems more accurate. Where are the other 30GBs and why is this happening? Is there something I can do to find what's using all this space?

And yes, I've tried all the disk cleanup stuff that XP wants me to use.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE(G&T @ Mar 7, 2007 -> 06:35 PM)
My laptop is telling me that I only have a few hundred MB of memory on my C drive out of 51 GB. But when I open my C drive and count the amount of memory each folder uses it only comes to 22GB, which seems more accurate. Where are the other 30GBs and why is this happening? Is there something I can do to find what's using all this space?

And yes, I've tried all the disk cleanup stuff that XP wants me to use.

You might want to see what files are there. Try hunting for large files. Start with a gig then move back to 500mb and so on. You may find some large files that are outside of your search pattern.

Click Search

In the window...

Click the little down arrow button under the back button

Where it says Title, click and select Size

Where it says Equals, click and select Is Greater Than

Where it says Zero, clck and Select Large or whatever size range you're looking for

You may want to start at a gig, 1000meg and then move from there.

Edited by southsideirish71

My work computer hides temporary internet files on me. It has a bunch of them I can find, but then a million more hiding, and I can't find them to delete them for anything. Nobody can. They are all very tiny, but there are so many of the bastards that it is getting rather large.

I used a disk analyzer and it says:

Used space: 23GB

Used space on drive: 50 GB

Free Space: 500MB

What's the difference between "used space" and "used space on drive"?

I can't find any large useless folders or files that isn't something I can account for. I don't understand what the analyzer is telling me.

Have you used an updated virus scan on your system? Some viruses will take up huge amounts of space in odd places.

Wondering because 50 GB is a lot of space to use up, unless you have tons of pictures, programs etc stored on your computer, I can't imagine the 50 GB being legitamately taken up.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 8, 2007 -> 05:35 PM)
Have you used an updated virus scan on your system? Some viruses will take up huge amounts of space in odd places.

Wondering because 50 GB is a lot of space to use up, unless you have tons of pictures, programs etc stored on your computer, I can't imagine the 50 GB being legitamately taken up.

Yeah, I've done a virus scan, and my system has not been slowing down. And I haven't used 50GB to my knowledge. I can only account for the 23GB. It's really weird.

So I got the computer fixed and I figured I should tell everyone what happened in case anyone owns an IBM/Lenovo.

There's a hidden file that saves quick restore points and mine wasn't deleting old backups and it ate 30GB. This is separate from the XP restore points that are easy to find and clear. This file was hidden somewhere and I had to have someone fix it. Lenovo tech support couldn't even help me (go figure)

Anyway, the file is RRBACKUPS and it can cause problems with IBM computers. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

QUOTE(G&T @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 12:42 PM)
So I got the computer fixed and I figured I should tell everyone what happened in case anyone owns an IBM/Lenovo.

There's a hidden file that saves quick restore points and mine wasn't deleting old backups and it ate 30GB. This is separate from the XP restore points that are easy to find and clear. This file was hidden somewhere and I had to have someone fix it. Lenovo tech support couldn't even help me (go figure)

Anyway, the file is RRBACKUPS and it can cause problems with IBM computers. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, from the Future!!

conan2000.jpg

:)

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 7, 2007 -> 08:43 PM)
You might want to see what files are there. Try hunting for large files. Start with a gig then move back to 500mb and so on. You may find some large files that are outside of your search pattern.

Click Search

In the window...

Click the little down arrow button under the back button

Where it says Title, click and select Size

Where it says Equals, click and select Is Greater Than

Where it says Zero, clck and Select Large or whatever size range you're looking for

You may want to start at a gig, 1000meg and then move from there.

Dude, you should work on blocking the cbssportsline live tv feed at your work. It would cause as much of an uproar as piss off cubs fan day.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 12:28 PM)
Dude, you should work on blocking the cbssportsline live tv feed at your work. It would cause as much of an uproar as piss off cubs fan day.

I am currently public enemy number one right now. I have under the direction of the CEO have blocked all sports sites until the end of march madness. The CEO wants our associates to actually work and not watch TV at their desks.