The GM thread

Soxplosion

What would you ather do?

Castillo for Jimenez and Rauch

or

Castillo for Jimenez and Almonte

Jimenez and Almonte because Rauch has more trade value and you could package him with someone or keep him as a starter or convert him to a reliever.

I dont really follow hockey but I just dont see how it gets any worse than Brock for Broglio. That is always my answer when someone asks what the worst trade ever was. The second leading SB king for some guy who did...wait, what the hell DID he do?

And could someone explain. Who got ripped off in the Esposito trade and how did Hull lose all those goals? Im curious...

Roman: I have to go by memory, and it ain't easy. But Espo came up with the Hawks after Hull had already established himself as the stud of the century. In Espo's rookie year they put him on the line with Hull half way thru the season, and Espo picked up about 35 or so garbage goals in front of the net and he helped Bobby to a really big year. So they trade him to Boston, where he goes on to a hall of fame career. If he had stayed in Chi with Bobby they would have both been in their primes for YEARS together. Bobby probably would have gotten 75 goals a year for YEARS, and Espo would have had his usual 40 or so--probably a lot more. He would have brought out the best in Bobby. Instead, Bobby's center was Chico Maki, who was about as good a hockey player as Paul Konerko. 8 goal Chico, I always called him. I figure the trade cost Hull about 30 goals a year for over 10 years.

Not only did we lose Espo, but we also gave up Fred Stansfield and xxxx Hodge, two tremendous hockey players. They formed a nucleus with Bobby Orr for a decade or more. All we got was Pit Martin, whose only claim to fame was that he once challenged Gordie Howe to a fight and had the living s*** kicked out of him. Actually, Martin was alright, centering the old Scooter Line for years, but he wasn't close to any of those guys. Orr, Stansfield, Espo, Hodge, and Bucyk formed the best power play I have ever seen.

The Brock trade is second. Sorry.

What? Sosa for Bell isn't #1 :lol:

Take away the green and the smiley, and that is the Cubs fan answer. And then we respond with how the Cubs have won jack s*** with Sosa, and then we have them remember Matt Karchner?

I once asked a Cub fan how Matt Karchner was doing, telling him Jon Garland was doing fine, and he asked me who Matt Karchner was. :lolhitting

How come none of you are jumping on my beltran bandwagon?

And Jim ... I followed hockey in the old days also with Bobby Hull, Mikita, Dennis Hull, Pappin, Tony O, Gerry Desjardins, etc., but after leaving chicago for many years I can name no blackhawks.

I was wondering if you still follow it or care anymore since the grand ol days of Hulls?

And Jim ... I followed hockey in the old days also with Bobby Hull, Mikita, Dennis Hull, Pappin, Tony O, Gerry Desjardins, etc., but after leaving chicago for many years I can name no blackhawks.

I was wondering if you still follow it or care anymore since the grand ol days of Hulls?

No way the Royals deal him now, they are currently tied for first place. Even if he is a free agent at the end of the year they still get compensation in the draft.

CWSOX45

No way the Royals deal him now, they are currently tied for first place. Even if he is a free agent at the end of the year they still get compensation in the draft.

CWSOX45

The royals have to deal Beltran before July 31st. It is an important part of their rebuilding process.

Roman:  I have to go by memory, and it ain't easy.  But Espo came up with the Hawks after Hull had already established himself as the stud of the century.  In Espo's rookie year they put him on the line with Hull half way thru the season, and Espo picked up about 35 or so garbage goals in front of the net and he helped Bobby to a really big year.  So they trade him to Boston, where he goes on to a hall of fame career.  If he had stayed in Chi with Bobby they would have both been in their primes for YEARS together.  Bobby probably would have gotten 75 goals a year for YEARS, and Espo would have had his usual 40 or so--probably a lot more.  He would have brought out the best in Bobby.  Instead, Bobby's center was Chico Maki, who was about as good a hockey player as Paul Konerko.  8 goal Chico, I always called him.  I figure the trade cost Hull about 30 goals a year for over 10 years.

Not only did we lose Espo, but we also gave up Fred Stansfield and xxxx Hodge, two tremendous hockey players.  They formed a nucleus with Bobby Orr for a decade or more.  All we got was Pit Martin, whose only claim to fame was that he once challenged Gordie Howe to a fight and had the living s*** kicked out of him.  Actually, Martin was alright, centering the old Scooter Line for years, but he wasn't close to any of those guys.  Orr, Stansfield, Espo, Hodge, and Bucyk formed the best power play I have ever seen.

The Brock trade is second.  Sorry.

Oh, maybe the Brock trade does come in second. I dont think Brock missed any SBs because of the trade... :huh:

CWSOX45

The royals have to deal Beltran before July 31st. It is an important part of their rebuilding process.

They have been rebuilding, yet at the same time are in contention right now. I know there is no way in hell that they will re-sign him, but if they were smart wouldn't they trade him for some pitching to help their bullpen?

I'm sure they have plenty of prospects in the minors, and since they are contending for the division why not trade Beltran for relievers that could help them go further in the playoffs?

I don't think it would be wise just to deal Beltran for prospects, I think they should try to get a couple of proven relievers in the deal.

CWSOX45

Broglio was a pitcher, I just realized. And he wasnt as horrible as I first thought. He did win 21 games with st Louis once. He was somewhat of an ace for St Louis, but he just sucked with the Scrubs. And considering who they lost for him, this is definitely one of the worst trades ever...

I don't think it would be wise just to deal Beltran for prospects, I think they should try to get a couple of proven relievers in the deal.

CWSOX45

They want to trade him for three Major League ready players, whether prospects or 1st or 2nd year Major Leaguers. They want guys they can plug into the starting lineup next year.

I'll be interesting to see what they end up getting for him.

Broglio was a pitcher, I just realized. And he wasnt as horrible as I first thought. He did win 21 games with st Louis once. He was somewhat of an ace for St Louis, but he just sucked with the Scrubs. And considering who they lost for him, this is definitely one of the worst trades ever...

His arm was gone. Apparently the Cubs didn't know when they traded for him.